"This Too Shall Pass" Thread

beck72

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 09:59 PM)
I guess you have to keep some traditions alive.

no matter how silly they are.

Would you call the "Rally Crede" a silly tradition, too!? Blasphemy! Which, BTW, I put back on after the sox 1st 4 game losing streak

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 05:00 PM)
We are playing bad and there are some definite problems, but I know we have the talent and I'm expecting Jon to continue to pitch good, Jose to do his thing and in fact get more so to how he was early this year while I actually think Vazquez is going to have a big 2nd half.

I just hope Buehrle can figure things out...who knows about Freddy but we can put this thing back together real quick, imo. At the same time, if tihe pitching doesn't improve this team isn't going to be wearing another ring this time next year.

All right, I'm not totally alone! :D

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 04:59 PM)
A win's a win, my boy, any way you can get them

I think our offense is fine for the most part. They just have to resist the urge to get homer happy. Remembering that linedrives are okay. Going oppo when men are in scoring position is a good thing.

Our pitching needs to man up all around. Bmac needs to be in the rotation, and we need another arm in the pen.

Anyone in here trying to draw comparisons from last August need to drop that. We had a nice cushy 15 game lead on the next best team in our division. We blew nearly all of it. This year we are sitting at a nice 4 1/2 game deficit and a 3 game cush for the wildcard. Our fallback cannot be so far this year. If we slump like we did in august we are done.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 10:00 PM)
We are playing bad and there are some definite problems, but I know we have the talent and I'm expecting Jon to continue to pitch good, Jose to do his thing and in fact get more so to how he was early this year while I actually think Vazquez is going to have a big 2nd half.

I just hope Buehrle can figure things out...who knows about Freddy but we can put this thing back together real quick, imo. At the same time, if tihe pitching doesn't improve this team isn't going to be wearing another ring this time next year.

If it means anything, I'm 99 pct sure that Vazquez will have a better 2nd half than Garcia.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 05:02 PM)

If he starts to throw better pitches on 2 strikes he will be fine. If he throws very hittable pitches on 2 strikes and then has a mental breakdown then he wont. He has all the tools. Just needs a shrink.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 10:03 PM)
Anyone in here trying to draw comparisons from last August need to drop that. We had a nice cushy 15 game lead on the next best team in our division. We blew nearly all of it. This year we are sitting at a nice 4 1/2 game deficit and a 3 game cush for the wildcard. Our fallback cannot be so far this year. If we slump like we did in august we are done.

Makes them keep their "eyes on the prize" all the more

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 10:05 PM)
I still believe but these starters are testing my sanity of late....

As they are to all of us.

The '05 Sox lost 7 in a row and had a horrid August, and look what happened to them.

There's a lot of ball left, and although we're not out of it, it smarts getting swept by the only team in baseball that I really truly hate.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 03:02 PM)

And thats coming from someone that really hates him. This isn't really my opinion, I'm actually basing it on somethings I've heard from people close to the Sox. They think he's on the verge of flipping a switch.

So I'm going to go with there optimism despite my hatred of that deal. Plus it would kill me if he didn't pan out since they dealt my favorite prospect (Chris Young).

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 05:10 PM)
And to think we make fun of the fans to the north for doing the same thing that this thread is preaching.

How is being optimistic about a World Series-caliber team in a good position to possibly repeat but currently in a funk anywhere near close to being eternally optimistic about a perenially horrible franchise?? :huh:

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 10:16 PM)
How is being optimistic about a World Series-caliber team in a good position to possibly repeat but currently in a funk anywhere near close to being eternally optimistic about a perenially horrible franchise?? :huh:

Well said. There's quite the difference, in this instance.

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 05:16 PM)

Confusing warranted criticism with pessimism and panicing and in turn preaching unwavering optimism while calling out anyone who cares to air their concern is pretty ridiculous IMO and does seem like a pretty Cubish thing to do.

QUOTE(Drew @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 05:12 PM)
The '05 Sox lost 7 in a row and had a horrid August, and look what happened to them.

There's a lot of ball left, and although we're not out of it, it smarts getting swept by the only team in baseball that I really truly hate.

15 game lead in 2005 that went down to 1 1/2 games. We have a 4 1/2 game decifit in our division, and a 3 game lead on the wildcard. Apples and Oranges to last year.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 05:19 PM)
Confusing warranted criticism with pessimism and panicing and in turn preaching unwavering optimism while calling out anyone who cares to air their concern is pretty ridiculous IMO and does seem like a pretty Cubish thing to do.

lol

I see way more exaggerated bashing around here. Predicting doom may be the cool thing to do, but there's nothing wrong with a little realistic optimism.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 10:10 PM)
And to think we make fun of the fans to the north for doing the same thing that this thread is preaching.

A lot of this is tongue in cheek. But the optimism is real. And if you aren't aware of the power of the Rally Crede, there is no hope for you

Edited by beck72

QUOTE(SleepyWhiteSox @ Jul 16, 2006 -> 05:32 PM)
lol

I see way more exaggerated bashing around here. Predicting doom may be the cool thing to do, but there's nothing wrong with a little realistic optimism.

Realistic optimism or blind optimism? Once you throw away stats, current and past performances and trends and just go with odd gut feelings and optimism to form your arguments I'd say you've lost any attachment you once had to reality.