"This Too Shall Pass" Thread

beck72

I'm with Beck. Even if the Sox play poorly against Detroit, I still feel they have a great chance at making the playoffs.

The Sox are currently in a rut/slump and it would be less noticeable if they just played some of the lower tier teams, but unfortunately they played the Sawks and Yanks and were exposed. The Sawks and Yanks were actually lucky to play the Sox at the right time. Chances are the next time they will not be so lucky.

Also, I still believe the Sox have not played their best ball yet, with everything clicking on all cylinders. Even on offense there is normally a couple of guys struggling while the others are hot. The pitching has been disappointing but all they have to do is pitch somewhere between what they did in the 1st Half and their career averages, and this team wins 100+ easily. That is not asking much.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm in too....i tell u what, if this happened 2 yrs ago and we were still the 2nd best team in all of baseball, no one would have had a problem. everyone would have said, hey it was the yanks and red soxs, it happens. but coming off the WS everyone expects our boys to be on fire each game out. now i'm no fool, i realize our pitching problems. but i have faith in kenny, ozzie and coop to get things straightened out some way or another. hopefully the big 5 turn it around in the next 2 weeks, if not, kenny will fix it. jerry had invested too much money not to get it right. now go get 2 of 3 from the tigers.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 03:29 AM)
We are just lulling

Other teams into thinking

They can beat the Sox

In fact, the White Sox

Are still baseball's best team

And we will prove it

Have no fear Sox fans

Would you swap our warriors

For another team?

Winning July games

Is not essential prelude

To October wins

Pitching and defense

Will reemerge and become

Our team theme again

Until it comes back

Power bats will carry us

Into the playoffs

Once in, we won't care

If we have the Wild Card slot

Or win the Central

No team can stop us

From repeating as World Champs

We will find a way

Ya gotta believe

In this solid White Sox team

To go all the way!

Back-to-back titles

Flying over the South Side

It's gonna be sweet.

Nice touch. BTW, you might have too much time on your hands :D

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 04:19 AM)
It might have been better if you just put it in your sig (below line) or something.. :lol:

Eh... what the hell, I'll join, even though I don't get this thread.

I'm pretty inept when it comes to that stuff. But I might give it a try.

Like I've said earlier, a lot of this is tongue in cheek. I just thought there were too many gloom and doomers who are quick to jump on how terrible the sox are. An off day filled with ".......... sucks!" seemed inevitable and I wanted to try and head it off. Maybe fans even need days off, where we can take a step back, and put things in better perspective--that this isn't life and death, that we should enjoy the season as well as the possible end result of winning another title. We all know they've played terrible ball lately. But there are still a lot of positives out there surrounding this team.

I know almost everyone is on board with the sox. This really isn't an "in or out" thread. More like a reminder we all support a team that plays 162 games--time enough where we will see horrible baseball, slumps, errors. Yet this is still a team that very much can win another World series.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 04:30 AM)
This little s***ty 6-game streak we're on is nothing compared to what I went through last year during the September slide. This team deserves every benefit of the doubt until further notice.

You got that right, Jordan. I'll take a slump now, thank you, rather than ever go through that again.

That was brutal. Finally winning in Detroit (clinching) last year wasn't so much enjoyable as it was a RELIEF. Whew.

Never again.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 09:46 AM)
You got that right, Jordan. I'll take a slump now, thank you, rather than ever go through that again.

That was brutal. Finally winning in Detroit (clinching) last year wasn't so much enjoyable as it was a RELIEF. Whew.

Never again.

ditto. I had to have fingernails surgically restored.

If I didn't sit through three miserable games last September at US Cellular vs. the Angels, I may be feeling differently. They lost the Friday night game when MB kept giving back leads and there was a brain cramp with Vlad on base, allowing the winning run to score. Garland got shelled in game two and the offense look listless. On Sunday, El Duque was hammered from the get go and the offense again looked dead.

After that series and a bad loss that followed in KC, I didn't have high hopes of a recovery. But, baseball is very strange and you never know what turns the season will take. I'm not drinking the Kool-Aid, but I'm also not ready to panic.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 07:41 AM)
Nice touch. BTW, you might have too much time on your hands :D

I'm glad at least someone noticed my string of Sox Haikus. I wrote a bunch last May on the main Sox website and we won the World Series! I like writing them.

QUOTE(GSH @ Jul 17, 2006 -> 09:50 PM)
Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor...He!! no.

This thread should be a sticky.

Lots of baseball left folks.

Lets relax and take meds :gosox1:

So many smart ass comments popped into my head, but i just can't pick one. :chair

heres another reason Im worried about this series. The SOX needed to shave a game or 2 off the lead BEFORE getting to Detroit. The Tigers playing the SOX with just a 1/2 game lead wouldve had them NERVOUS and looking over their shoulders. Unfortuneately, the SOX had other ideas and now the Tiggers have a 4 1/2 game lead and are playing CONFIDENT and with MOMENTUM (I said momentum, heh heh)

The Tiggers will play loose now that they have a lead, knowing that us sweeping them will still have them with the lead :unsure: Heck, even if we take 2 of 3, we only take 1 game off of the lead.

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 09:11 AM)
heres another reason Im worried about this series. The SOX needed to shave a game or 2 off the lead BEFORE getting to Detroit. The Tigers playing the SOX with just a 1/2 game lead wouldve had them NERVOUS and looking over their shoulders. Unfortuneately, the SOX had other ideas and now the Tiggers have a 4 1/2 game lead and are playing CONFIDENT and with MOMENTUM (I said momentum, heh heh)

The Tiggers will play loose now that they have a lead, knowing that us sweeping them will still have them with the lead :unsure: Heck, even if we take 2 of 3, we only take 1 game off of the lead.

Wait...wait wait...

The Sox had other ideas? They wanted to lose?

Plus, a sweep of the Tigers will have no effect on them?!?

:headshake

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 02:34 AM)
I'm beginning to lose faith in humanity.

Haha, I can't believe one person, let alone the two in this thread, could not recognize that quote even without seeing the movie.

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 03:54 AM)
John Belushi, ever heard of him?

Yeah, the less talented Belushi.