Sox v. Tigers, Gamethread: Contreras v. Rogers, 12:05

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I suspect we shall see Widger. I just wonder what other members of group 4 are making it out on the field today. A must win series, so lets rest some of our starters. Because Ozzie is matchup happy.

Maybe Widger can hit the ball out of the infield today. Instead of doing his popup, groundout, strikeout routine.

Although I am not a big fan of calling a game a must win in July but this is as close to a must win as you can get. Detroit is not having trouble beating the other teams in the league so we have to do it ourselves.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 09:47 AM)
Although I am not a big fan of calling a game a must win in July but this is as close to a must win as you can get. Detroit is not having trouble beating the other teams in the league so we have to do it ourselves.

Detroit could lose every series to us and still might win the division. :huh

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 09:39 AM)
I suspect we shall see Widger. I just wonder what other members of group 4 are making it out on the field today. A must win series, so lets rest some of our starters. Because Ozzie is matchup happy.

Maybe Widger can hit the ball out of the infield today. Instead of doing his popup, groundout, strikeout routine.

I'd settle for a decently-called game.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 09:38 AM)
Do it.

Is it pouring in Det. too?

There's some storm fronts moving through the area, but it looks as if they'll miss Detroit. Maybe just some scattered stuff.

I feel like Brick Tamland.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 11:20 AM)
Lineup for today. Widger plays

Ozuna

gooch

thome

kong

dye

crede

uribe

widger

ba

Awful lineup. It's like we're playing the Royals and the game has little meaning.

Pablo shouldn't be out there in the large outfield. Put Makowiak out there.

Edited by BigSqwert

Why is the lineup awful, Podsednik hasn't been doing much in this series anyways. I would rather have Ozuna in the lineup vs. Rogers than Mackowiak.

I would definitely have Pierzynski in there though, even though it's a day after nite game. Pierzynski really brings the competitive juices and this is a huge game.

We should point out that it is only July, and it was only one game, and it won't win the pennant or cure cancer or help Ford turn a profit," writes Michael Rosenberg in the Detroit Free Press. "We should, but we won't. And here's why: As much as the Tigers downplay this series, they know how much it means. There is a reason [Tigers manager] Jim Leyland will use his full regular lineup in this afternoon's game, playing [ivan Rodriguez] in a day game after a night game instead of resting him like he usually would. This series means more than most.

Thank god we are resting AJ for the royals series down the road. Posada played all 3 games against us in NY, and now it seems that IRod is playing all 3 games. This is a big series, and we keep playing subs like we are sititng on a 15 game lead.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 11:28 AM)
Why is the lineup awful, Podsednik hasn't been doing much in this series anyways. I would rather have Ozuna in the lineup vs. Rogers than Mackowiak.

I would definitely have Pierzynski in there though, even though it's a day after nite game. Pierzynski really brings the competitive juices and this is a huge game.

So you don't really care about the defensive difference between Ozuna and Mackowiack? Any sort of extra offense Ozuna will be giving you in this game could very well be canceled out by pathetic defense in the left center field gap. I'm usually all for Ozuana starting over Pods but it just doesn't seem like a good idea in such a huge OF in such a huge game.

*sigh*

Ozuna in the outfield in Detroit.. why does this happen? Do we just want to lose?

Everyone complains about how bad Mackowiak is and how Anderson should be in instead, well, the same holds true for Ozuna. He's a significant downgrade in defense in LF.. and thats saying something.

So you don't really care about the defensive difference between Ozuna and Mackowiack? Any sort of extra offense Ozuna will be giving you in this game could very well be canceled out by pathetic defense in the left center field gap. I'm usually all for Ozuana starting over Pods but it just doesn't seem like a good idea in such a huge OF in such a huge game.

Any bad defense could be cancelled out by Ozuna's offense too, it works both ways.

Personally I don't think they have the right bench players, my answer has been to get a guy who is an OF and can play all three positions defensively. Seeing as they don't have that, I will take my chances with a sparkplug player who might have a chance vs. a very tough Kenny Rogers. Let's not forget our offense basically did squat last nite, despite the Vazquez screw up.

Personal preference I guess.

QUOTE(Felix @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 09:36 AM)
*sigh*

Ozuna in the outfield in Detroit.. why does this happen? Do we just want to lose?

Everyone complains about how bad Mackowiak is and how Anderson should be in instead, well, the same holds true for Ozuna. He's a significant downgrade in defense in LF.. and thats saying something.

I would say that the downgrade from BA to Mack is MUCH larger than the downgrade from Podsednik to Ozuna.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 12:38 PM)
I would say that the downgrade from BA to Mack is MUCH larger than the downgrade from Podsednik to Ozuna.

I consider Ozuna in LF much worse than Mackowiak in CF, but thats just me.