Sox Acquire Alomar for Lamura, Widger DFA'd

Guest JimH

STay tuned, I am told Widger was let go.

Sox Acquire Alomar Jr, Designated Widger For Assignment

By Jason Gage

Soxtalk.com

Soxtalk.com has learned that backup catcher Chris Widger was designated for assignment following Sunday’s game against the Texas Rangers. Chris Rongey of the Score has reported that the White Sox have acquired backup catcher Sandy Alomar Jr. from the Los Angeles Dodgers to replace Widger.

A former rookie of the year and three time all star, Alomar, saw his playing time drop in LA following the acquisition of Toby Hall and Mark Hendrickson. He has spent parts of 4 seasons with the Sox, most recently in 04 and is a career .274 hitter over his 18 year MLB career.

Alomar Jr. may not be the flashy name people expected, but he hits LHP better than Pierzynski (or Widger) and will be able to provide a veteran presence in the clubhouse. He was batting .323 with 9 RBI in 27 games and is batting .500 off lefties (9 for 18).

After playing a key role off the bench in 05, Widger struggled behind and at the plate for the club in 06, batting .184 in 27 games while posting a 5.36 CERA (Catchers ERA). While this move was primarily made to upgrade the club's lineup against LHP, it will also serve as an attempt to shake up the roster and break up the comfort level of the Sox.

The White Sox are expected to send RHP B.J. Lamura to the Dodgers. Lamura, 25, was a 5th round selection out of the University of Clemson. A reliever in college, the Sox immediately moved Lamura to the rotation before moving him back to the pen midway through the 2005 season. In 2006, he emerged as a dominant reliever for the Barons going 5-0 with 3 saves and a 1.69 ERA. He struck out 67 while giving up just 32 hits in 53.1 innings. Lamura has a the potential to turn into a major league reliever. He throws a good fastball and slider, but has had periods throughout his career where he didn't appear to trust his stuff.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 03:32 PM)
If this is true (and I hope it is) then all I can say is it's about damn time... He makes all of our starters that much worse just being around him...

I need to throw a party! :headbang

Classy.

Widge did some nice things for us this year, but really struggled behind the plate this year (in terms of calling the game) and was just as bad at the plate.

However, I should note that part of the pitching problems have to be the pitchers failing to execute the pitches. Either way, it wasn't working this year for Widge and I'll be curious to see whose coming (whether its Stewart or we just picked someone up).

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 08:33 PM)
Widger's a great story, but like Politte, he hasn't carried his weight on the squad. I hate to see the guy go, but we really need some help.

Absolutely. Thanks for your contributions last year....but last year is over. I think AJP's recent struggles make the need for another catcher even more obvious.

Widge did some nice things for us this year, but really struggled behind the plate this year (in terms of calling the game) and was just as bad at the plate.

However, I should note that part of the pitching problems have to be the pitchers failing to execute the pitches. Either way, it wasn't working this year for Widge and I'll be curious to see whose coming (whether its Stewart or we just picked someone up).

DFA'd and per a phone call I got from the ballpark (actually was related to sports memorabilia, ha!) KW is working on something for the backup catcher. Whether he gets it done or Stewart gets called up, not certain.

My guess, emphasis on guess, Javy Lopez from Baltimore. Again, just my guess. Did not hear that.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 01:37 PM)
DFA'd and per a phone call I got from the ballpark (actually was related to sports memorabilia, ha!) KW is working on something for the backup catcher. Whether he gets it done or Stewart gets called up, not certain.

My guess, emphasis on guess, Javy Lopez from Baltimore. Again, just my guess. Did not hear that.

I wonder if something like Lopez and a reliever would be in order. I think if you took Lopez you could get Hawkins for them and if we were willing to accept most of the salaries wouldn't have to give up much in return.

Thanks Widge. It was alot fo fun having him around last year and it was a great story. But, we need more right now, he was just not good at all this year.

Can not disagree at all. I think people on this site gave him more blame than he deserved re: pitchers results but the fact is he was awful in terms of hitting.

The message to everyone else on the team is this, if KW can improve, even incrementally, he will do it. Don't get too comfy.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 23, 2006 -> 03:39 PM)
Wouldnt Javy Lopez be a bit of an overkill? Anyways Ill always appreciate Widger he was a lot of fun last season but like someone else said same story as Politte.

We don't have many right handed bats on the bench let alone a good power guy.