White Sox close to acquiring Soriano

Brian

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ESPN Radio's Dan Patrick is reporting via Tim Kurkjian that the White Sox are close to acquiring Alfonso Soriano from the Nationals in a deal that may center around Brandon McCarthy and are also seeking Kansas City's Mike MacDougal in a subsequent move in a deal surrounding Tyler Lumsden.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:10 PM)
i dont see us getting sorisno, nor do i see him being what we need... unless he learned how to pitch.

Well he did learn how to play the outfile d pretty quick.

I think he could leadoff for us. He is a good player.

Score 670 just confirmed that this deal is close... id want the sox to sign him long term if they get him.

idea is that pods would be in the deal, along with anderson...

another idea is that they are getting soriano just to deal him elsewhere (see the near maggs for garciaparra deal a few years ago.)

Edited by Steve9347

Source: ChiSox 'extremely close' to Soriano dealESPN.com news services

The White Sox are "extremely close" to trading for Nationals outfielder Alfonso Soriano, a source close to the situation told ESPN The Magazine's Tim Kurkjian. The Nationals have great interest in pitcher Brandon McCarthy.

The White Sox, said the source, also are close to acquiring pitcher Mike MacDougal from the Royals in exchange for minor league pitcher Tyler Lumsden.

Soriano joined Washington last offseason in a trade from Texas, and the Nationals shifted him from second base to left field. Soriano is batting .288 with 31 homers, 62 RBI and 25 steals.

The slugger is scheduled to become a free agent at the end of the season.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Wow. If they put this together, I would have been TOTALLY wrong.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:15 PM)
The White Sox, said the source, also are close to acquiring pitcher Mike MacDougal from the Royals in exchange for minor league pitcher Tyler Lumsden.

Um, yuck? Can McDougal stay healthy?

I don't see how this trade makes sense for the Sox unless Kenny makes another deal with Soriano. Granted, Soriano is hell of a trading chip but that's an awful lot to give up just for some bullpen help.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:13 PM)
Score 670 just confirmed that this deal is close... id want the sox to sign him long term if they get him.

idea is that pods would be in the deal, along with anderson...

another idea is that they are getting soriano just to deal him elsewhere (see the near maggs for garciaparra deal a few years ago.)

Pods and Anderson in the deal? Who the hell is going to play CF?

I listened to Kurkijan as well. I believe it's been said on this board before that the Sox may just be raising the price tag associated with acquiring Soriano.

By Kurkijan's scenario we would be moving Pods to center and Soriano to left. The last thing our inconsistent staff needs is worse defense playing behind it.

I do like getting MacDougal if that is available. I don't know comparative numbers, so I could be proven wrong; but if I remember correctly MacDougal has a live arm. I'd need the folks on this board who know our minor leaque system confirm if it's worth Lumsfield.

I'm almost at the point where I like this deal. Heck, since our pitching has been suspect this year lets just mash the ball all over the place and see what happens. If you put Soriano at the top of our lineup it would without a doubt give us the most potent offense in the AL. We'll take our chances with our pitching staff then. With so many teams looking for pitching and with very little out there, instead of overpaying for a starter KW may decide to pull the trigger on this deal...