White Sox close to acquiring Soriano

Brian

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:41 PM)
As far as I know, Garcia does not have an option next year...his contract is guaranteed next year.

Yes, it is gauranteed.

QUOTE(rcpweiner @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:43 PM)
Wah, wah, wah.

They preached defense and strong pitching last year, and won it all. This year things (say, pitching not being nearly as strong as last year) and they feel they have to adapt a bit.

Why do you fear change so much? Not every team wins with pitching and defense. Some teams are made for that, some aren't. And, as the poor starts by Mark, Javy and Freddy pile up, maybe this year's version isn't made for the type of pitching and defense that last year's was.

We're in 2006 here. Change isn't a bad thing. Flip-flopping is, in some cases, good.

I do not fear change, I fear losing games due to disgusting defense. An OF with Podsednik in CF will lose more games for you than it will win.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 02:39 PM)
It would make Kenny Williams and Ozzie Guillen two of the biggest hypocrites in the history of professional sports after spending the past few seasons preaching great team defense and strong pitching. Talk about a crock.

first of all, there is no pitching available.

second of all, trading tyler lumsden does not mean you are abandoning your core here folks...i mean, lumsden has never been mentioned on any national circuit, hes not exactly a top of the line prospect nationally.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 01:45 PM)
Seriously, people think we're getting rid of Anderson AND Pods and moving Mack into center?

Yeah, I don't know where all of this speculation is from? Right now the only thing we can evaluate is the MacDougal trade, since it's "official". Everything else people are getting angry at is pure speculation.

Why don't you guys trust Kenny yet? What must he need to do to earn the benefit of the doubt?

Don't you love how a few days ago, KW said: "EVERYTHING'S QUIET. I'M NOT MAKING ANY TRADES. ZZZZZZZZ..............."

Meanwhile, he's the only GM with the balls to give up talent to get talent. Hey, it may not work out, but I was tired of watching the Sox having our brains beat in over the last two weeks by our rivals.

SMOKE EM, KENNY! Put a charge into this team!!!

QUOTE(BigNDfan80 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:40 PM)
WIN NOW! Why does everyone look so far into the future? You can always trade for arms later. Right now, you need to focus on winning a back to back World Series in 2006.

Winning now isn't guaranteed. Our position now in the standings doesn't even guarantee a playoff spot.

And often the idea of "winning now" kills an organization several years down the line. Decisions are made which are regretted later. Ask San Francisco how they delt with "winning now" when Pierzynski was traded for. Or the Mets with Scott Kazmir.

Above all us, we traded Lumsden to a division rival!!! We're giving them a legitimate starting pitching prospect to pitch against us in the future.

To answer Chaos, I'm concerned about our farm system because I'd like an arm or two available in several years when this rotation is disassembled. Lumsden seemingly gave us hope, and had good peripherals to project as a mid to upper starter in the rotation.

Now, what do we have?

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:47 PM)
first of all, there is no pitching available.

second of all, trading tyler lumsden does not mean you are abandoning your core here folks...i mean, lumsden has never been mentioned on any national circuit, hes not exactly a top of the line prospect nationally.

pitching AND defense is the key part there. A Soriano-Pods-Dye outfield is pretty horrendous defensively. Balls would be landing in the gaps all over the place, making our pitching look even worse.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 08:48 PM)
Don't you love how a few days ago, KW said: "EVERYTHING'S QUIET. I'M NOT MAKING ANY TRADES. ZZZZZZZZ..............."

Meanwhile, he's the only GM with the balls to give up talent to get talent. Hey, it may not work out, but I was tired of watching the Sox having our brains beat in over the last two weeks by our rivals.

SMOKE EM, KENNY! Put a charge into this team!!!

it is nice to see us get stronger in the pen... and im very encouraged by garcia and garland... their last starts were awsome.... contreras is still pitching well and if he gets it back completely, look out.

im hoping our starting pitching can just go out and give us an average of 6 IP with 1 or 2 ER.... that would be awsome and we'd probably win the division.

its all on the shoulders of the starters now.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:50 PM)
pitching AND defense is the key part there. A Soriano-Pods-Dye outfield is pretty horrendous defensively. Balls would be landing in the gaps all over the place, making our pitching look even worse.

I really doubt the Sox would make Pods the CF if Soriano was acquired. Soriano is either going to get flipped to a team like Seattle or the LAAA, or Pods is going to be dealt or ride pine.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:49 PM)
Winning now isn't guaranteed. Our position now in the standings doesn't even guarantee a playoff spot.

And often the idea of "winning now" kills an organization several years down the line. Decisions are made which are regretted later. Ask San Francisco how they delt with "winning now" when Pierzynski was traded for. Or the Mets with Scott Kazmir.

Above all us, we traded Lumsden to a division rival!!! We're giving them a legitimate starting pitching prospect to pitch against us in the future.

To answer Chaos, I'm concerned about our farm system because I'd like an arm or two available in several years when this rotation is disassembled. Lumsden seemingly gave us hope, and had good peripherals to project as a mid to upper starter in the rotation.

Now, what do we have?

My garbage man told me that Tyler and Kenny have a handshake agreement that he would go easy on the Sox in 3 years when he's at the show. ;)

QUOTE(rcpweiner @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:43 PM)
Wah, wah, wah.

They preached defense and strong pitching last year, and won it all. This year things (say, pitching not being nearly as strong as last year) and they feel they have to adapt a bit.

Why do you fear change so much? Not every team wins with pitching and defense. Some teams are made for that, some aren't. And, as the poor starts by Mark, Javy and Freddy pile up, maybe this year's version isn't made for the type of pitching and defense that last year's was.

We're in 2006 here. Change isn't a bad thing. Flip-flopping is, in some cases, good.

So, because our pitching has faltered we're adopting the 2004 Red Sox position of clubbing another team to death? Even after Williams himself noted the softball tendencies of previous teams?

If 2006's motto is "forget about starting pitching," then yeah, we're in a good position to follow that. The FIRST concern should have been to move Garcia/Vazquez and insert McCarthy into the rotation. If somehow this move is upcoming, than I'll change my position. Until then, or word from Kenny on the contrary, I'll question his line of thinking.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:49 PM)

Now, what do we have?

What do we have??

If he stays healthy -- which is the only risk -- we have a very hard throwing right hander who has been tested as a closer but will only be asked for set up duty. This was an essential ingredient to solidifying our bullpen into one that could go into the postseason and matchup with any of our rivals.

Is Tyler Lumsden another Scott Kazmir or Francisco Liriano? I don't think so. I trust KW enough for him to trade the right arms.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 01:53 PM)
I've yet to hear an explanation of how, if it's not Soriano in LF and Pods in CF, Soriano's going to fit into the lineup.

What, as a backup for Iguchi?

Soriano in LF, Anderson in CF, Podsednik either to the bench or to washington as part of the Soriano deal.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:53 PM)
I've yet to hear an explanation of how, if it's not Soriano in LF and Pods in CF, Soriano's going to fit into the lineup.

What, as a backup for Iguchi?

If the Sox acquire Soriano to keep him, Pods will either get traded or become a back-up and pinch runner. The White Sox have not been happy with Pods this season, mostly because of his lack of focus defensively and inconsistent at bats.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:50 PM)

Umm... have you seen Dye play right field this year? He's damn near gold glove caliber with some of his catches and his arm. I highly doubt they would be moving Anderson out of the starting line up. He's been hitting better and no one on our team is as good on defense. Soriano is no worse, probably better than, Pods.