White Sox close to acquiring Soriano

Brian

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:53 PM)
I've yet to hear an explanation of how, if it's not Soriano in LF and Pods in CF, Soriano's going to fit into the lineup.

What, as a backup for Iguchi?

Dude everything is speculation, so why are you asking people to provide facts??

the spec is that pods goes and soriano plays left...

• Replies 912
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 04:53 PM)
I've yet to hear an explanation of how, if it's not Soriano in LF and Pods in CF, Soriano's going to fit into the lineup.

How about Soriano in LF and Anderson in CF? Why is that so hard to figure out?

Pods is the weak offensive player here. Anderson may be so now, but watch the month-to-month splits. Anderson may have a better OPS by September.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 01:53 PM)
So, because our pitching has faltered we're adopting the 2004 Red Sox position of clubbing another team to death?

Uh. If we're following the 2004 Red Sox line of thinking, I'm fine with that. You know, since they won the World Series and all ...

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:53 PM)
What do we have??

If he stays healthy -- which is the only risk -- we have a very hard throwing right hander who has been tested as a closer but will only be asked for set up duty. This was an essential ingredient to solidifying our bullpen into one that could go into the postseason and matchup with any of our rivals.

Is Tyler Lumsden another Scott Kazmir or Francisco Liriano? I don't think so. I trust KW enough for him to trade the right arms.

My only contention with this idea is that KW was able to wheel and deal and completely reinvent the team from chump-also ran for four years in the central into WS champions in ONE offseason.

If KW thinks some bang/bang trades are necessary to shore up this club for now, 2006, then I trust him. If he thought things were fine as-is, he'd leave things. Everybody was on his ass last year to get Griffey and when he didn't the Mariottis of the world came down on him; trading for only journeyman Blum.

Well, we all know how that turned out, and didn't Blum end up having the last laugh in Houston?

Obviously KW sees a very specific hole that he's trying to fill, and he must be pretty damn convinced if he's willing to trade away beloved B-Mac. In one week, we've seen Politte go, Widger get dumped and now this flurry.

I say GO KENNY GO. He wants us to win. Me too.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:53 PM)

SORIANO = LF

ANDERSON = CF

PODS = GONE

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:55 PM)
Just throwing this out there: Pods and McCarthy for Soriano....

Yes or no?

I really have a hard time seeing the justification of trading McCarthy for 2 months of Soriano. McCarthy is at worst a decent #5 starter under control for 5 more years, and very cheap. The more I think of this, if Pods is not included in a trade, I almost think its a lock that Soriano's stay with the White Sox would be extremely brief.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:55 PM)
How about Soriano in LF and Anderson in CF? Why is that so hard to figure out?

Pods is the weak offensive player here. Anderson may be so now, but watch the month-to-month splits. Anderson may have a better OPS by September.

Pods is weaker offensively than ANDERSON? HUH???

On top of that, Pods is a left handed bat, which gives us a killer left-right batting order if he's still around. And TWO proven base stealers.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 01:55 PM)

Yes or no?

Yes. Although I'd like to get a decent prospect back from the Nats too. Not a top-level, but not a bottom-of-the-barrel type.

Also, if Soriano doesn't come back next year, would brining up Fields and sticking him in LF be a possibility for next year?

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:58 PM)

On top of that, Pods is a left handed bat, which gives us a killer left-right batting order if he's still around. And TWO proven base stealers.

Scott Podsednik has stopped stealing bases and when he does, he's mediocre.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:58 PM)

Soriano only has 4 less steals than Pods and has been thrown out 4 less times. Plus he only has 1 less homer than Thome.

QUOTE(rcpweiner @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:56 PM)
Uh. If we're following the 2004 Red Sox line of thinking, I'm fine with that. You know, since they won the World Series and all ...

Pfffttt.... :lolhitting

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:55 PM)

Yes or no?

NO, I don't see how weakening the pitching and strengthening the offense makes this team any better.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:57 PM)
I really have a hard time seeing the justification of trading McCarthy for 2 months of Soriano. McCarthy is at worst a decent #5 starter under control for 5 more years, and very cheap. The more I think of this, if Pods is not included in a trade, I almost think its a lock that Soriano's stay with the White Sox would be extremely brief.

Post of the day. Dick, you are quickly becoming one of my favorite posters.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 08:55 PM)

Yes or no?

thats a hell of a question

i think the anwser can be found in this question:

is it worth it to give up a future top of the rotation starter who will make the leauge minimum for a few years and take on the contract of a left fielder who will likely command 60 million dollars over then next 4 years?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:59 PM)
Scott Podsednik has stopped stealing bases and when he does, he's mediocre.

exactly....when was the last time pods was that real "sparkplug" .....all star game last year ish....soriano has stolen almost as many bases and has hit almost as many homers as thome...in a gigantic park....not to mention his obp has been on the rise this year....its a massive upgrade

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Jul 24, 2006 -> 03:49 PM)
Winning now isn't guaranteed. Our position now in the standings doesn't even guarantee a playoff spot.

And often the idea of "winning now" kills an organization several years down the line. Decisions are made which are regretted later. Ask San Francisco how they delt with "winning now" when Pierzynski was traded for. Or the Mets with Scott Kazmir.

Above all us, we traded Lumsden to a division rival!!! We're giving them a legitimate starting pitching prospect to pitch against us in the future.

To answer Chaos, I'm concerned about our farm system because I'd like an arm or two available in several years when this rotation is disassembled. Lumsden seemingly gave us hope, and had good peripherals to project as a mid to upper starter in the rotation.

Now, what do we have?

You terribly overrate Lumsden.

He's 23 and in AA, so he's not exactly young for his level.

His ERA is good (2.69), but it hides weak peripheral numbers. Three of the strongest predictors of future major league success for minor league pitchers are:

1) Strikeout rate

2) K/BB ratio

3) HRs allowed

Despite Lumsden's supposedly awesome stuff, his k rate/9 IPs is well below avergae (5.23) for a "big time" prospect.

His K/BB rate is also below average: 1.8

Finally, he's given up 9 HRs in 123.2 IPs, which is just OK.

We did not trade away Scott Kazmir, here.

Cortes has a 4.01 ERA in low-A ball, so he shouldn't even enter into the duscussion.

Great trade KW: Shipping away an overrated minor league for a major league ready reliever with great stuff, who is under our control through 2009.