Speculation: Sox and Phils (Abreu/Lieber)

RME JICO

I saw this and thought that the Sox could offer more than the Yanks for those two:

ESPN.com's Jayson Stark has said that the Yankees could get a discount by taking the full contracts of both Abreu and Lieber, as there's been little interest in both players elsewhere. The Star-Ledger reports that the Phillies are now discussing second-tier Yankees prospects instead of Philip Hughes and Jose Tabata.

The Sox could package together something with Pods and maybe Tracey with another prospect for Abreu and Lieber. What do you think?

That could also allow the Sox to move Garcia or Vazquez (or both) if they acquired Lieber.

Lineup:

Abreu

Iguchi

Thome

Konerko

Dye

AJ

Crede

Uribe

Anderson

Rotation:

Contreras

Buehrle

Garland

Lieber

Garcia/Vazquez/McCarthy

Bullpen:

McCarthy/New Arm acquired from Vazquez/Garcia deal

Riske

Cotts

Thornton

MacDougal

Jenks

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 07:30 AM)
All I have to say is Lieber sucks.

Lifetime numbers:

Lieber - 4.26 ERA, 1.27 WHIP, 4:1 K:BB Ratio

Garcia - 4.01 ERA, 1.29 WHIP, 2:1 K:BB Ratio

Vazquez - 4.35 ERA, 1.28 WHIP, 3:1 K:BB Ratio

I guess they all suck.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 06:53 AM)
Lifetime numbers:

I guess they all suck.

If one were to casually read this site, I bet that person would believe that.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 10:17 PM)
If one were to casually read this site, I bet that person would believe that.

:lol: So, so true.

Anyways, acquiring Abreu and Lieber, even with trading a starter, would take on quite a bit of extra money for the payroll.

I don't really see the need for acquiring Lieber, when we've got B-Mac to step in. I'd rather just make an attempt to acquire Bobby by offering Pods and a SP prospect like Broadway (this offer should be out to many teams who have a good LF), and if the Yanks just acquire them instead, tip your cap to em.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 11:53 AM)
Lifetime numbers:

I guess they all suck.

Well Garcia has been in the AL his whole career. And Vazquez has the best stuff but has been shaky most of his career and he has sucked. Also Lieber has had some good seasons in the past but now he sucks. When pitchers get old... they get worse in most cases if you havent noticed.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jul 29, 2006 -> 06:53 AM)
Lifetime numbers:

I guess they all suck.

You obviously don't factor in the salaries of Abreu and Lieber ????

My understanding is that the Phillies would trade those players to the Yankees as a salary dump to have more financial flexibility.

Abreu to the Yanks ESPN believes;

ESPN's Jayson Stark believes the Yankees will acquire Bobby Abreu and Cory Lidle from the Phillies for 2005 first-round pick C.J. Henry and right-hander Steven White.

The Phillies could likely get better prospects for Lidle alone, but that so clearly isn't the point. Abreu's no-trade clause may or may not be a stumbling block. The Yankees are apparently prepared to pick up his $16 million option for 2008 in order to keep him happy, though it's not guaranteed that Abreu wouldn't want more to sign off on the deal. In taking Abreu's contract, the Yankees would be employing about $100 million more in talent than any other team in baseball. If they can win under those circumstances, well, Joe Torre really must be a genius.

It makes me sick how the Yankees can give up nothing prospects for all stars just because they'll take all of the salary. It's just so wrong.

Wouldn't it feel a little empty to the Yankees and their fans if they win the WS with a payroll that's $100 million more than any other team?

With a payroll that high, they should absolutely crush any competition.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 10:07 AM)
It makes me sick how the Yankees can give up nothing prospects for all stars just because they'll take all of the salary. It's just so wrong.

Wouldn't it feel a little empty to the Yankees and their fans if they win the WS with a payroll that's $100 million more than any other team?

With a payroll that high, they should absolutely crush any competition.

Excellent point.

I've always said it's like winning the heavyweight title by beating a one arm man and then having the nerve to celebrate. Sure King George plays within MLB rules, but what happened to a sense of competition?

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 30, 2006 -> 10:20 AM)
Excellent point.

I've always said it's like winning the heavyweight title by beating a one arm man and then having the nerve to celebrate. Sure King George plays within MLB rules, but what happened to a sense of competition?

I was going to say it's like an NFL team playing in the NCAA. When you think about it, it's a pretty good comparison. The NFL team would have the best of all the different players from the NCAA, which is what the Yankees do.

Your comparison is definitely awesome, though. And funny.

I'd stay away from both of them. I live in the Philly market and seen a lot of Phillies games (sadly) and Lieber has been brutal this year. He can't find the plate, his strikeouts are down and he gives up hits and run more the Freddy can ever dream of. As for Abreu, I would want no part of him. As to coin a phrase most often used on this board, "Where would he play?" Abreu is a horrible outfielder. The biggest laugh the Philly media was win he won the gold glove award because he is far from a gold glove. Finally, Abreu would never, ever bat leadoff. The Phillies wanted him to bat leadoff for about 4 years now and he said no because he wants his numbers. I want no part of Abreu and/or Jon Lieber.