have the yanks forced KW to make a move?

cav38

NY strengthens greatly  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Has NY forced KW to pull off a deadline deal?

• Yes, we need to keep pace
    • No, we have all the right pieces

with the yanks aquisition of abreu and lidle do you think it forces KW to make a move because we need to focus on the wild card and the yankees are leading it right now, with us close behind. the abreu addition helps them greatly and they were able to get a #4 starter out of it in lidle. this will probably have a huge effect on the wild card race and i believe we need to do sumthing to "keep pace" so to say. wut do you think.

No, the Yankees haven't forced the White Sox to do anything.

They could make a move to upgrade a team that has struggled of late, but it won't be because of what the Yankees did today.

Kenny Williams isn't dumb. If he was, Buehrle would have been in a Red Sox uniform last week.

QUOTE(chisox08 @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 01:32 AM)
with the yanks aquisition of abreu and lidle do you think it forces KW to make a move because we need to focus on the wild card and the yankees are leading it right now, with us close behind. the abreu addition helps them greatly and they were able to get a #4 starter out of it in lidle. this will probably have a huge effect on the wild card race and i believe we need to do sumthing to "keep pace" so to say. wut do you think.

Not at all. Nothing Kenny does or doesn't do will be impacted by what the Yankees do. If there's a deal out there that makes sense for the Sox, it'll happen.

Yeah, I think the Sox need to do something about it.

Pull your heads out of your f'n a's and start playing good baseball. KW's done more than he needed to put this team in a position to win the division. If it fails, you can NOT blame KW.

Of course, this past series was a hell of a good start(just a shame it ended the way it did). Hopefully they can keep it up against KC.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 01:44 AM)
Yeah, I think the Sox need to do something about it.

Pull your heads out of your f'n a's and start playing good baseball. KW's done more than he needed to put this team in a position to win the division. If it fails, you can NOT blame KW.

Of course, this past series was a hell of a good start(just a shame it ended the way it did). Hopefully they can keep it up against KC.

i think you misunderstood, i would not blame KW at all if they dont make the playoffs, i was just wondering if anyone thought this will affect whether we do or do not make a trade.

No, of course not. The team has all of the right pieces, now they just need to start performing like they should be. I'm not asking for complete game shutouts, but how about 7 innings where they let up 3 runs?

Odd, the poll is almost 70/30 for "yes, make a deal" but the posts are almost 70/30 on "stand pat."

I don't know if there is an impact player out there right now that will make a difference. This is the most talented Sox team in my lifetime (of just over 30 years). They can hit, pitch, and play defense...even if they aren't doing 2 of the 3 well right now. Making a move just to keep pace would be silly.

I don't see why the national media loves this deal so much. If the Yankee pitching wasn't so horrible to begin with, it wouldn't be an upgrade at all. Lidle in the AL is worse than any of our poorly performing pitchers...but its pathetic that he's an upgrade over the 6-7+ ERA guys they were running out there.

The Yankees have a great offense, but not great defense and not great pitching. The Sox are still a better team and need to play like it.

QUOTE(Disco72 @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 10:30 AM)
Odd, the poll is almost 70/30 for "yes, make a deal" but the posts are almost 70/30 on "stand pat."

I don't know if there is an impact player out there right now that will make a difference. This is the most talented Sox team in my lifetime (of just over 30 years). They can hit, pitch, and play defense...even if they aren't doing 2 of the 3 well right now. Making a move just to keep pace would be silly.

I don't see why the national media loves this deal so much. If the Yankee pitching wasn't so horrible to begin with, it wouldn't be an upgrade at all. Lidle in the AL is worse than any of our poorly performing pitchers...but its pathetic that he's an upgrade over the 6-7+ ERA guys they were running out there.

The Yankees have a great offense, but not great defense and not great pitching. The Sox are still a better team and need to play like it.

you don't know what is available at this point.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 03:33 PM)
you don't know what is available at this point.

True. If an Oswalt was available, sure, that would help. But they'd need a big bat in return, which I don't think we are willing to give up. IMO, a shake up of the pitching staff is the only thing that might need to be done, and I don't sense that there are a lot of talented pitchers available that don't involve way more than is prudent to pay in terms of talent.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 03:37 PM)
At the very least, he has to get a serviceable 4th OFer. That would likely prevent a few more runs from scoring on the greatest 5-man rotation in the history of mankind.

I honestly wonder if they don't want to acquire someone like that because they don't know who they'd have to release/send down from their 25 man roster.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 31, 2006 -> 10:41 AM)
I honestly wonder if they don't want to acquire someone like that because they don't know who they'd have to release/send down from their 25 man roster.

If they don't make a move to help the team because they don't want to hurt someone's feelings, then their priorities aren't in order.

The Abreu deal disgusts me. Yanks buy the best player who moved at the deadline because no one else could afford his contract. And they gave up nothing in return. This move was baseball at its absolute worst.

Abreu, frankly, belonged in Chicago as a lead off hitter in place of Podsednik, playing for his Venezuelan countryman, Ozzie Guillen. And we could have used the improved outfield defense, the much better OBP, and his ability to hit lefties and righties.

But Abreu wouldn't have brought us another title, and his presence on the Yanks isn't going to deny us another title. That all comes down to starting pitching, as it almost always does. If our starting pitchers can find their fastballs and control, we still have the best team in baseball. If they continue to perform with ERAs at 4.77 runs a game, no amount of offense will help us.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 06:54 PM)
Abreu, frankly, belonged in Chicago as a lead off hitter in place of Podsednik, playing for his Venezuelan countryman, Ozzie Guillen. And we could have used the improved outfield defense, the much better OBP, and his ability to hit lefties and righties.

And have absolutely no payroll flexibility for the next 3 seasons.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Aug 1, 2006 -> 12:54 PM)
The Abreu deal disgusts me. Yanks buy the best player who moved at the deadline because no one else could afford his contract. And they gave up nothing in return. This move was baseball at its absolute worst.

But Abreu wouldn't have brought us another title, and his presence on the Yanks isn't going to deny us another title. That all comes down to starting pitching, as it almost always does. If our starting pitchers can find their fastballs and control, we still have the best team in baseball. If they continue to perform with ERAs at 4.77 runs a game, no amount of offense will help us.

I don't understand your point, you seem to contradict yourself. If tAbreu on our team would not bring us another title and his presence on the Yankees won't affect their ability to impede us from winning another title, why is this baseball at its absolute worst? If, as you suggest (and I agree), that starting pitcher will be the determinant, then isn't Abreu really irrelevant to the discussion entirely?