Departed Prospects

farmteam

I was bored, so I thought I'd look them up and share them with you all. I only did a few, I'm sure I forgot plenty.

Hitters

Mike Morse

Level Pos AVG G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB K SB CS OBP SLG OPS SH SF IBB GIDP HBP

AAA OF .245 40 147 16 36 13 1 4 27 9 37 0 1 .298 .429 .727 0 2 1 3 3

Anthony Webster

AAA OF .271 40 140 17 38 11 1 2 12 5 21 7 2 .311 .407 .718 4 0 0 4 3

AA OF .310 59 216 37 67 10 4 5 19 18 25 3 5 .364 .463 .827 3 1 3 4 1

TOTALS .295 99 356 54 105 21 5 7 31 23 46 10 7 .344 .441 .785 7 1 3 8 4

Chris Young

AAA OF .279 87 348 67 97 26 3 19 72 48 62 11 4 .371 .534 .905 1 5 2 6 6

Pitchers

Gio Gonzalez

Level W L ERA G GS SV IP H R ER HR BB K HBP AVG TPA BK WP

AA 5 10 4.43 21 21 0 120.0 107 65 59 19 63 133 8 .238 528 2 8

Daniel Haigwood

Team League Level W L ERA G GS SV IP H R ER HR BB K HBP AVG TPA BK WP

Reading Phillies EL AA 2 5 3.54 15 15 0 84.0 72 36 33 7 42 85 6 .231 361 0 7

Frisco RoughRiders TEX AA 1 1 5.10 6 6 0 30.0 38 21 17 3 25 23 0 .319 147 1 2

TOTALS 3 6 3.95 21 21 0 114.0 110 57 50 10 67 108 6 .255 508 1 9

Royce Ring

Level W L ERA G GS SV IP H R ER HR BB K HBP AVG TPA BK WP STR%

AAA 2 1 2.97 34 0 10 36.1 28 13 12 1 15 37 3 .212 154 0 1 .571

Huh, so Morse is playing OF now? I know there were doubts about him playing SS, so I guess they just needed a place to stick him. Not surprising to see Young having a good season in AAA, but none of the others we've traded away (including ones you don't list) have done much of anything, so our track record in trades is looking pretty good right now.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Aug 5, 2006 -> 03:46 AM)
There was a SP involved in that Carl Everett deal with the Rangers why didnt u mention him? If I remember right he had a chance to make the starting rotation this season but got injured I think.

I think you're refering to Josh Rupe. I'm pretty sure he hasn't done anything great since leaving the org., so I wouldn't worry about him. He's just been so-so.

Edit: Well, upon further review, it looks like he's had a few good games out of the 'pen this season in AAA and pitched 2 scoreless innings for the Rangers, but that's about it. Don't expect to see too much. Plus, he'll be 25 in 2 weeks and has just made it to the bigs. Not much potential.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 09:48 PM)
I think you're refering to Josh Rupe. I'm pretty sure he hasn't done anything great since leaving the org., so I wouldn't worry about him. He's just been so-so.

Edit: Well, upon further review, it looks like he's had a few good games out of the 'pen this season in AAA and pitched 2 scoreless innings for the Rangers, but that's about it. Don't expect to see too much. Plus, he'll be 25 in 2 weeks and has just made it to the bigs. Not much potential.

There really isn't that big of a problem with debuting when you're 25. People these days act like someone might as well be 30 years old if they're 25.

QUOTE(Jake @ Aug 5, 2006 -> 03:56 AM)
There really isn't that big of a problem with debuting when you're 25. People these days act like someone might as well be 30 years old if they're 25.

No, it's not a problem, but it's not exactly promising either. I wouldn't expect to see him make a huge impact, which is really the deal here. I mean, if he was still in our organization, would he help out the big league club? I doubt it. Therefore, I'm glad we traded him back in '03 since it at least meant we were trying to make a push that year.

Edit: I messed up his age. He's only 23 (soon to be 24 in 2 weeks), but I still don't miss having him nor do I think he'd be much of a help on this year's team.

Edited by dasox24

QUOTE(Sonik22 @ Aug 5, 2006 -> 04:00 AM)
I was searching a site called baseball cube and i found out that the sox drafted Both Mike Lowell and Eric Gagne. Thought that was kind of interesting.

Hmm, I didn't know about Lowell, but I remember hearing that about Gagne. Also, I think we were close to a trade back in, like, '01 that would have brought us Gagne, but seeing as he was a starter at the time, I don't know we would have ever turned him into a reliever. Anyway, this sort of thing happens all the time, so no worries... We drafted Jeff Weaver back in the day too, and even though he sucks now, he was good 4-5 years ago, so it would've been nice having him back then... Another name to keep your eye on is Jordan Danks. We drafted him last year and did everything we could to sign him, but it was well known that he really wanted to go to college. And, after the way he played this year, I wouldn't be surprised to see him be a very high draft pick and most likely out of our reach in 2 years when he's eligible.

Here's a list of prospects/players we've given up since 2003:

Jeff Liefer

Rocky Biddle

Delvis Lantigua

Royce Ring

Edwin Almonte

Andrew Salvo

Anthony Webster

Josh Rupe

Franklin "Let's Throw Chairs at Spectators" Francisco

D'Angelo Jimenez

Gary Glover

Scott Dunn

Tim Bittner (We just signed him as a FA)

Tim Hummel (Likewise with Bittner)

Aaron Miles

Matt Ginter

Jeremy Reed

Miguel Olivo

Mike Morse

Jon Rauch

Gary Majewski

Brad Murray

Alex Escobar

Ryan Meaux

Gio Gonzalez

Daniel Haigwood

Chris Young

Jeff Bajenaru

Joe Borchard

Javier Lopez

B.J. LaMura

Tyler Lumsden

Daniel Cortes

Bolded players have reached the bigs. Now out of all of those players, who has had a significant or just mediocre impact in the bigs?

Francisco, Jimenez, Miles, Reed, Olivo, Majewski.

The former prospect that has come back to hurt us the most is....

Gary Majewski.

Yes, after depleting our minor league system, the most valuable player we gave away was Gary Majewski (thus far). There's nothing saying that Gonzalez, Young or Lumsden will be better or worse than Majewski, but the past several years have shown us that we've given up very average players from our minor league system.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Aug 5, 2006 -> 02:15 PM)
Here's a list of prospects/players we've given up since 2003:

Jeff Liefer

Rocky Biddle

Delvis Lantigua

Royce Ring

Edwin Almonte

Andrew Salvo

Anthony Webster

Josh Rupe

Franklin "Let's Throw Chairs at Spectators" Francisco

D'Angelo Jimenez

Gary Glover

Scott Dunn

Tim Bittner (We just signed him as a FA)

Tim Hummel (Likewise with Bittner)

Aaron Miles

Matt Ginter

Jeremy Reed

Miguel Olivo

Mike Morse

Jon Rauch

Gary Majewski

Brad Murray

Alex Escobar

Ryan Meaux

Gio Gonzalez

Daniel Haigwood

Chris Young

Jeff Bajenaru

Joe Borchard

Javier Lopez

B.J. LaMura

Tyler Lumsden

Daniel Cortes

Bolded players have reached the bigs. Now out of all of those players, who has had a significant or just mediocre impact in the bigs?

Francisco, Jimenez, Miles, Reed, Olivo, Majewski.

The former prospect that has come back to hurt us the most is....

Gary Majewski.

Yes, after depleting our minor league system, the most valuable player we gave away was Gary Majewski (thus far). There's nothing saying that Gonzalez, Young or Lumsden will be better or worse than Majewski, but the past several years have shown us that we've given up very average players from our minor league system.

So it says KW is good at making trades, but what does it say abour our minor league system? I keep hearing about all this depth we have. Is it true?

Bob

Sweet, Cerb! Nice list you've put together there. It really goes to show what I've been saying all along: Trading prospects away has done very little to hurt the big league club, which is why I don't over-react anymore when we trade away our minor leaguers.

i don't mind trading prospects for something decent (thome). i hate throwing them away for guys like robbie alomar, etc.

rauch has turned into a pretty decent reliever.

it'll be interesting to see what kind of moves KW makes over the next couple of years now that he doesn't have any more mediocre prospects to give up.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 12:19 AM)
Nice list there, it's amazing the worst we've given up so far is Majewski, who is basically a white Luis Vizcaino. However I fear what guys like Young, Haigwood, Lumsden, and Gonzalez will turn into.

We've traded similar talent before. Haigwood is having a rough year, starting to look like best case scenario is 5th starter/long reliever. Gonzalez and Lumsden still have a ways to go before we really need to worry about them. Young is looking very solid, however, but none of these guys are any different talent wise from what we've traded before.

QUOTE(gosox41 @ Aug 5, 2006 -> 04:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So it says KW is good at making trades, but what does it say abour our minor league system? I keep hearing about all this depth we have. Is it true?

Bob

For Christ's sake let it go already. People are always trying to have it both ways.

"We give up too many prospects"

"They haven't amounted to anything anyways"

"Our farm system must suck if our minor leaguers can't cut it"

"Well our major league team is always competetive and just won the World Series."

".........................."

"So who gives a spiff about our farm system or players we traded away if using them to net us other players?"

Very "Anthraxfan" like argument going on here.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 12:31 AM)
We've traded similar talent before. Haigwood is having a rough year, starting to look like best case scenario is 5th starter/long reliever. Gonzalez and Lumsden still have a ways to go before we really need to worry about them. Young is looking very solid, however, but none of these guys are any different talent wise from what we've traded before.

I would agree with all that except Young. The only comparable guy I can think of was Reed since he was an OF, but it was warned all along that he had a low celing (freaking Mark Kotsay comparisions), whereas Young could be an all around very good player.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 01:02 AM)
I would agree with all that except Young. The only comparable guy I can think of was Reed since he was an OF, but it was warned all along that he had a low celing (freaking Mark Kotsay comparisions), whereas Young could be an all around very good player.

Reed came to mind when comparing Young because both were top flight OF prospects. Young sure looks like the goods this year though (.280, 26 doubles, 20 HR, 48 BB in 353 ABs). Those are quality numbers, basically what you would expect out of him. Granted the PCL inflates his power numbers (and probably all offensive numbers from what I hear), but I'd take that. Still, he does strike out a lot, who knows how that will translate in the bigs.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Aug 5, 2006 -> 11:47 PM)
Reed came to mind when comparing Young because both were top flight OF prospects. Young sure looks like the goods this year though (.280, 26 doubles, 20 HR, 48 BB in 353 ABs). Those are quality numbers, basically what you would expect out of him. Granted the PCL inflates his power numbers (and probably all offensive numbers from what I hear), but I'd take that. Still, he does strike out a lot, who knows how that will translate in the bigs.

Young has gotten a much better idea of the K zone this year and is it 65K/48BB which is far better than last year. He has put up those numbers in the 2 hole. BTW it was fun watching the Iowa Cubs have to sit in the White Sox's dugout and have 2005 world champion banner staring them in the face.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Aug 6, 2006 -> 02:00 AM)
Yeah Young has cut his K rate by 35% from last season.

That is correct. The one thing I will say though is despite that, his average and on base are about the same (.280/.370 this year in comparison to .277/.377 this year). For some reason (maybe I'm crazy), I usually expect a guy's average to go up when he strikes out less, since the ball is put in play more (ala Crede this year IMO), and you have a better chance of getting a hit on a ball in play than a whiff obviously, but Young's hasn't. Maybe that's just me, and maybe the change of home parks can explain this for Young.

Edited by whitesoxfan101