White Sox Loser

Butter Parque

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 10:55 PM)
exactly how i feel and probably most others.....but i gotta say though that 5 spot problem almost gave me a corenery that season

Yeah but it was easier to have lower expectations. We didn't know what this rotation is capable of.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 11:52 PM)
so what season has been more frustrating, this one or 2004?

This one by far. In 04 we had the injuries, we had the 5th starter by committee. We had that horrible stretch in August and Joe Borchard was our RF. I didnt expect to win then.

I thought this year was going to be a cakewalk into the playoffs. I knew our O would be good, but I thought our pitching would show up. I never estimated how many bad moves Ozzie would make this year.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 10:56 PM)
This one by far. In 04 we had the injuries, we had the 5th starter by committee. We had that horrible stretch in August and Joe Borchard was our RF. I didnt expect to win then.

I thought this year was going to be a cakewalk into the playoffs. I knew our O would be good, but I thought our pitching would show up. I never estimated how many bad moves Ozzie would make this year.

See you guys tomorrow. Be nasty Javy.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 04:56 AM)

well thats exactly why i asked the question......frustration doesn't only come from losing.....those injuries and 5th starter problems were horrible on my head....then i found soxtalk and had a place to vent.....I was also working a 3rd shift job at a factory that summer and had to get most of the final scores on headline news at 3am

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 11:52 PM)
so what season has been more frustrating, this one or 2004?

It's painful to fall short of postseason play like in 2004, but we fans could at least temper our feelings knowing that the players were outplayed. If the Sox barely miss the postseason this year, it won't be because our team wasn't good enough, but because our manager misused his players. That is a clear definition of "frustrating."

Ozzie's refusal to preserve and protect his best asset--starting pitching--was/is a poor decision. Not putting his bullpen in positions to succeed is another, his overuse of Rob Mackowiak in center field, his refusal to use McCarthy in the rotation were/are the easily correctable errors that could mean the difference in making the postseason or having more time to golf with Javier Vazquez this offseason.

Tom Kelly plz.

Edited by shoota

QUOTE(shoota @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 05:21 AM)
It's painful to fall short of postseason play like in 2004, but we fans could at least temper our feelings knowing that the players were outplayed. If the Sox barely miss the postseason this year, it won't be because our team wasn't good enough, but because our manager misused his players. That is a clear definition of "frustrating."

Ozzie's refusal to preserve and protect his best asset--starting pitching--was/is a poor decision. Not putting his bullpen in positions to succeed is another, his overuse of Rob Mackowiak in center field, his refusal to use McCarthy in the rotation were/are the easily correctable errors that could mean the difference in making the postseason or having more time to golf with Javier Vazquez this offseason.

Tom Kelly plz.

Umm, right now, our players are simply getting outplayed by the best teams in the AL. If the Twins end up winning the Wild Card, it will be because they're better than us. That's the beauty of our situation right now. If we don't make it, we have no one to blame but ourselves.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 12:30 AM)
Umm, right now, our players are simply getting outplayed by the best teams in the AL. If the Twins end up winning the Wild Card, it will be because they're better than us. That's the beauty of our situation right now. If we don't make it, we have no one to blame but ourselves.

There would be a lot of blame to go around, and Ozzie would and should get a lot of it. His managing this year has been anything but good.

jesus f***ing christ

for those of you saying this is a more frustrating season than 2004, or any year before 2005, you need to get a grip.

prior to 2005 we hadn't even won a home playoff series, let alone anything of real significance, in like 800 million years. I think you are forgetting what true frustration is.

we are 20 over and in the thick of a playoff race. if you can't take the heat, for christ's sake...

Also, in regards to last night, Garland did get squeezed, and I don't know what Brian Gorman's vendetta is against the White Sox, but I will go on record as saying the man downright Hue Hollins'd us in the fifth inning with that bulls***.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 10:41 AM)
jesus f***ing christ

for those of you saying this is a more frustrating season than 2004, or any year before 2005, you need to get a grip.

prior to 2005 we hadn't even won a home playoff series, let alone anything of real significance, in like 800 million years. I think you are forgetting what true frustration is.

we are 20 over and in the thick of a playoff race. if you can't take the heat, for christ's sake...

Also, in regards to last night, Garland did get squeezed, and I don't know what Brian Gorman's vendetta is against the White Sox, but I will go on record as saying the man downright Hue Hollins'd us in the fifth inning with that bulls***.

Having won the WS last year, seemingly getting better for the next year, having a payroll of roughly $100 million, and constantly beating ourselves all have a tendency to frustrate the living hell out of anyone.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 03:41 PM)

Yes, every umpire is out to get us besides for Doug Eddings. The only pitch I thought Garland got really screwed on was an outside fastball to Jeter that should have been a called 3rd. The pitch in question to Abreu has taken on a life of its own, as it looked to clearly be a ball. Instead of always having umpires cost us games, it would be nice if our starters just made one more good pitch to the hitters and overcame the questionable call.

Hey, sorry to rain on all the negativity in this post, but I voted "encouraged" about last night's win on the Trib poll this morning.

Remember the 10-8 loss to Cleveland earlier this year? When we started the 9th down 10-2 but brought the tying run to the plate? Well, after that game, the Sox went on perhaps their best stretch of the season, going 18-5. Granted, it was mostly against NL patsies, but it still showed fight.

I think the last two games we've showed some tenacity. Sure, we haven't had stellar pitching, but we've battled, and nearly beat Mariano Rivera on back-to-back nights, which has only happened once in his career. I don't think we've given up the fight. We may not make it, because of terrible hitting by our 8, 9, and 1 guys, bad managing decisions, poor starting pitching, etc., but we haven't given up the fight.

GO WHITE SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!! BEAT THE YANKS TONIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by VAfan

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 11:29 PM)
On 4/22 Jim Thome took Johan Santana deep in the bottom of the 6th inning with the team down 2-1, it put them up 3-2 which turned out to be the final score.

For the record (since I was at the game), the game was actually scoreless in the 6th on April 21st when Thome hit a 2 run blast off Johan in the bottom of the 6th to put us up 2-0. Buehrle gave up a homer to Lew Ford in the 7th to make it 2-1, and the Sox won 7-1 when Johan came out after 7 and the Twins bullpen collapsed and gave up 5 runs. That was still a clutch homer though, both pitchers were unhittable that night and that homer turned out to have been enough to win the game.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 11:00 AM)
For the record (since I was at the game), the game was actually scoreless in the 6th on April 21st when Thome hit a 2 run blast off Johan in the bottom of the 6th to put us up 2-0. Buehrle gave up a homer to Lew Ford in the 7th to make it 2-1, and the Sox won 7-1 when Johan came out after 7 and the Twins bullpen collapsed and gave up 5 runs. That was still a clutch homer though, both pitchers were unhittable that night and that homer turned out to have been enough to win the game.

I corrected myself already. <_>

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 10:41 AM)
jesus f***ing christ

Sorry, but I couldn't disagree any more. 2006 is easily the more frustrating season.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 11:40 AM)
Sorry, but I couldn't disagree any more. 2006 is easily the more frustrating season.

This has indeed been one frustrating season. A tough loss last night when we had all the chances to pull the game out. We have all been through worse seasons then this one with the Sox.

Why don't we wait until the season is over to discuss if one year was more disappointing than the other? Maybe it's just me, but my disappointment level is much less this season than it would have been if we didn't win the World Series last year. I'm not saying I'm giving the team a grace period though.

I just think it's interesting how everyone is saying how disappointing this team is after one of our better "losses" in a long time. I don't believe in moral victories, but I do believe in momentum.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 12:00 PM)
Why don't we wait until the season is over to discuss if one year was more disappointing than the other? Maybe it's just me, but my disappointment level is much less this season than it would have been if we didn't win the World Series last year. I'm not saying I'm giving the team a grace period though.

I just think it's interesting how everyone is saying how disappointing this team is after one of our better "losses" in a long time. I don't believe in moral victories, but I do believe in momentum.

"Momentum is tomorrows starting pitcher" is a quote I have seen used in baseball. Our offense is good, sometimes they get to jacked up and try to do too much. But that I think is due to our pitching. We need our pitching to collectively get their heads out of their rear ends. We see improvement from a starter for a start or 2 then back into crap city. We need our starters to be decent, they dont have to be superstars to win with our O. If we have our starters go 7 and only give up 4 we would be fine. But they have been giving up 6 to 9 in 7 and that just puts our O into a pickle. Ron Villone was quoted as he thought AJ was trying to go for the fences with the bases loaded. AJ is a line drive hitter, and when he goes for the fences he really gets out of his comfort zone. Why was he going for the fences, because our pitching gave up 7 runs and we needed a granny to get within a run. If we are down by a run or 2 AJ isnt probably trying to hit a granny.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 12:00 PM)

Unfortunately, this team does not believe in momentum. I don't see how much more momentum you can have than tying the game with a home run off "God" and then winning it in the 11th? That was a HUGE, HUGE victory for this team, and they follow it up with flat baseball for 7 innings yesterday.

Last night was the ultimate proof that "momentum is as good as the next days starter" is true. If you can't pitch, you can't consistently win, and you can't gain momemtum, which is why it would take a monumental change from our starting staff for us to end up in the playoffs, let alone do anything in October.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 02:02 PM)
Last night was the ultimate proof that "momentum is as good as the next days starter" is true. If you can't pitch, you can't consistently win, and you can't gain momemtum, which is why it would take a monumental change from our starting staff for us to end up in the playoffs, let alone do anything in October.

While I agree that it will take a change to get into October, I think ANYTHING can happen once we get there.

Remember when it seemed like we'd be up 1-0 after the first inning as a foregone conclusion last year? I love Pods as much as the next guy, but we need a new leadoff man next year. Right now, Ozuna has been off since he was hurt. I, at this point, have no problem with Mack starting in LF and leading off. At the very least, Rob's an intelligent baserunner.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 02:17 PM)
Remember when it seemed like we'd be up 1-0 after the first inning as a foregone conclusion last year? I love Pods as much as the next guy, but we need a new leadoff man next year. Right now, Ozuna has been off since he was hurt. I, at this point, have no problem with Mack starting in LF and leading off. At the very least, Rob's an intelligent baserunner.

Agreed, and I've thought that for a couple weeks (although I'd bet you have too). Rob gives better at bats, gets on base more, is an average left fielder (no really, he is....which is way better than Pods) and is just a better option to play LF and lead off.

Also, I remember being up 1-0 in the 1st being foregone last year, and also remember that our pitchers would actually hold leads. God that was fun.

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 02:14 PM)
While I agree that it will take a change to get into October, I think ANYTHING can happen once we get there.

I actually agree big time. That's why the goal IMO is to make the playoffs, once you get there it's almost a matter of luck. This team is built for the playoffs and could make a run if we get in, but that's why it's so important to get in. I still think that 2003 team could have won it all, but of course we didn't make the playoffs.

Edited by whitesoxfan101