ST Poll: Who's the most clutch player on the Sox?

greasywheels121

QUOTE(ceffa2000 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 12:07 AM)
I'd have to wonder too. Unless you were someone who had watched the game. Personally, I completely understand.

I definately had watched that game, from the first pitch to the last. It was an awesome game, and I loved it.

Konerko and Dye each would be the best clutch hitter on about 25 teams in baseball.....but Crede is our best, by far. I still think he's a better clutch hitter than Ortiz, seeing as Ortiz is ALWAYS insanely good, whereas Crede goes from very good to unstoppable when it's clutch time, but that's a different argument :).

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 12:24 AM)
Jim Thome

Man I was thinking about this last night as I watched Thome ground out. I listed the exact four on the list, and man it's almost too close to call really. Tadahito has had some HUGE clutch abs in games this year, as has Paulie and JD, but Crede stands out more.

Thome hasn't been clutch for us at all this season. in fact, I don't think he has many RBIs this year that occurred after the 6th inning.

QUOTE(Winning Ugly @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 02:50 PM)
Man I was thinking about this last night as I watched Thome ground out. I listed the exact four on the list, and man it's almost too close to call really. Tadahito has had some HUGE clutch abs in games this year, as has Paulie and JD, but Crede stands out more.

Thome hasn't been clutch for us at all this season. in fact, I don't think he has many RBIs this year that occurred after the 6th inning.

Close and Late situations:

Jim Thome: 3 HR, 7 RBI, 3 2B, 13 BB

Paul Konerko: 3 HR, 3 RBI, 2 2B, 8 BB

Jim Thome >> Paul Konerko

QUOTE(Winning Ugly @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 03:50 PM)

After the 6th inning doesn't mean clutch, and Thome has had a good handful of game influencing homeruns this year (let alone RBI's).

All 5 players are really solid with RISP:

Thome .354 BA, .487 OBP, .756 SLG, 1.243 OPS

Dye .359 BA, .427 OBP, .709 SLG, 1.136 OPS

Konerko .371 BA, .437 OBP, .649 SLG, 1.086 OPS

Crede .365 BA, .409 OBP, .552 SLG, .961 OPS

Iguchi .337 BA, .400 OBP, .554 SLG, .954 OPS

I have to go with Crede though. It just seems like he comes through the most when the Sox need a hit.

QUOTE(Winning Ugly @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 02:50 PM)

I love JT, but the fact is he is the last guy on the entire team I want up wit RISP in late innings........ground outs or whiffs seems automatic

QUOTE(stretchstretch @ Aug 11, 2006 -> 09:44 AM)
I love JT, but the fact is he is the last guy on the entire team I want up wit RISP in late innings........ground outs or whiffs seems automatic

Someday I'll finally understand why this perception of him is so strong amoungst Sox fans when it's really not true.

Personally, I've been a little disappointed with Thome in the clutch. So many of his home runs are solo shots in the the fourth inning or something like that. Which is awesome, don't get me wrong. But it seems like he's come up short with runners on in close games in late innings on several occasions. The other night when he came up against the Yanks in the the 9th, the first thing I thought was, "Uh oh, groundout to second coming up right here."

Hopefully, he'll improve in the clutch department. Just my .02.