Top 3 web gems in White Sox history

WhiteSoxfan1986

To dismiss Guchi's play as luck would mean that any of use could also get "lucky" and make that same play. The luck was the ball was hit in the most perfect position to give him an opportunity for a "web gem". Not every infielder could have made that play. Hell, he couldn't make that play 99 times out of a 100.

There may be better web gems, but I'd be careful labeling anyone "lucky".

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 09:57 AM)
I can't believe people could lessen how good Iguchi's play was, while all Fisk had to do was catch a ball and apply a tag to two guys running right at him.

I lessened his play a bit, but it was an amazing play. I think its >>> Fisk's play but thats me. I just know that hands down the inning Uribe had to finish the world series and the inning Rowand had in New York were the two best I've ever witnessed and its not even close in my mind.

But thats me.

QUOTE(Felix @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 11:51 AM)
Iguchi's play was good, but unnecessary. He could have fallen down, gotten up, tied his shoe, and still thrown out Molina at first.

Watch the replay. He didn't have that much time. He had time, but not that much. And from his angle, he couldn't have known he had that much time.

Thanks Cheat. Here's a link.

http://www.southsidesox.com/story/2006/4/15/181943/580

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 11:20 AM)
Rowands display out in CF against the Yanks in one inning was more impressive than any of those 3 plays, imo.

Guchi's play was great, but total luck. Uribe's best play was actually the one to win the game (that was absolutely insane, no other SS throws him out) although I'd admit Uribe into the stands was ridiculously awesome two.

Those two plays should be combined like Rowand's two plays and are by far the two greatest plays I've seen in White Sox history.

With all due respect to Rowand, he's never made a play (including the facebreaker this year) as good as either of Uribe's 9th inning plays. Those were 2 of the best plays I've ever seen, and for them to be back to back to end the World Series clinching game is why I have a hard time ever ripping on Juan. As for Rowand's display at Yankee Stadium...the only catch he made during that display that I would even put in his top 5 as a White Sox is the catch on Jeter (which I would have #2 behind the Sexson play I mentioned before, and both were GREAT plays). Uribe's plays and the 2 for 1 play by Fisk have to be in the top 3 IMO, than the 3rd play could be up for debate. I'd pick Gooch's simply because it's the best play I've ever seen a Sox defender who wasn't at SS or CF make, and of course the falling down thing.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 01:07 PM)
If Derek Jeter made that diving catch into the stands like Uribe did, there would have been a Gatorade commercial revolving around the play already.

Indeed, I think Jayson Stark of ESPN said in his column after the game that "If Jeter makes the 2 plays back to back that Uribe did to clinch the title, they'd make a full motion picture about it".

does anybody have links to videos of these plays ecept the iguchi play? That play was eceptional. I dont care if it was luck or not, the high risk of that ball going in the stands compared to the way it ended up working out should make it a lock, then the uribe diving in the stands play(who doesnt remember where they were when that happened)I think the last one is kind of a toss up.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 01:07 PM)
If Derek Jeter made that diving catch into the stands like Uribe did, there would have been a Gatorade commercial revolving around the play already.

I was talking about the same thing with my brother last night, it's bulls***.

Uribe's stands catch>>>>Jeter's. Not only was it in WAY more important situation, but IMO it was tougher, period. Yet it's Derek Jeter so everything he does is blown way the f*** out of proportion.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 02:07 PM)

Incredibly true.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 02:47 PM)
I was talking about the same thing with my brother last night, it's bulls***.

Uribe's stands catch>>>>Jeter's. Not only was it in WAY more important situation, but IMO it was tougher, period. Yet it's Derek Jeter so everything he does is blown way the f*** out of proportion.

:cheers

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 01:56 PM)
The best part of that Jeter catch is he took 3 steps after he had the ball (in fair ground) before being in the stands. I still think he could have stopped or almost stopped, but kept going to make it look good.

Of course. Derek Jeter is far and away the one player that cares most about what he looks like when he is on the field.

Hence, he walks like he has a stick up his ass.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 06:56 PM)
The best part of that Jeter catch is he took 3 steps after he had the ball (in fair ground) before being in the stands. I still think he could have stopped or almost stopped, but kept going to make it look good.

The only reason that Jeter catch is so popular is because how that game went. If you remember, that was an epic extra inning game which featured Nomar sitting on the bench the whole game. If anything, it was more of a symbolic catch of how great of a leader Jeter is, and how far Nomar had fallen with the Red Sox.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 01:57 PM)
Of course. Derek Jeter is far and away the one player that cares most about what he looks like when he is on the field.

Hence, he walks like he has a stick up his ass.

And yet Yankee fans hate A-Rod because they think he cares too much about his image. Oh, the irony, and oh how amazingly dumb Yankee fans are. They are lucky Cubs fans exist, or they'd have the "worst fans in sports" title on lockdown.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 01:59 PM)
The only reason that Jeter catch is so popular is because how that game went. If you remember, that was an epic extra inning game which featured Nomar sitting on the bench the whole game. If anything, it was more of a symbolic catch of how great of a leader Jeter is, and how far Nomar had fallen with the Red Sox.

Epic games don't occur on the first day of July, and the fact that Jeter made a catch look harder than it was doesn't make him some great leader. Nomar not being in the dugout during the 11th was pretty lame though.

The fisk play will be #1 because it involved a Red Sox legend and it happened against the yankees. I was at that game and it was pretty amazing, just because of the surprise factor of having two guys to tag.

The Uribe play has gotta be there. My third would be in 2000 when Chris Singleton stole a HR away from someone on the Tigers to help preserve a 1-0 victory for Jim Parque.

Iguchi's play is #1 in my book, followed by Uribe's two plays in WS Game 4 at #2 (a 2 for 1), and then I'm undecided on the #3 play.

I just don't think Fisk's play is worthy of a top 3 finish, but we'll see.

If I had to guess, it will be there, even though its more worthy of maybe a top 5.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 01:47 PM)

What are you talking about? A Yankees-Red Sox game is more important than the world series.