Freddy Bracing for Exit

DBAHO

Very interesting article from Joe Cowley;

In other circumstances, he would wear the nickname ''Big Game'' like a badge of honor.

The problem is White Sox pitcher Freddy Garcia knows his nickname also has a stigma attached to it that inevitably will lead to his being traded this offseason.

General manager Ken Williams has said one of the current five starters will be dealt this winter to make room for Brandon McCarthy in the rotation. While Garcia said he hasn't been told by Williams that this will be his last season in a Sox uniform, he is well aware of the fact that Williams tried to deal him last offseason.

Not only does Garcia anticipate going elsewhere, he is prepared for it.

''Yeah, I know it's going to be me,'' Garcia said Wednesday. ''I think about it a little bit, and I know it's going to be me. I understand that.

''It almost happened [last] offseason, so if they trade me, what can I say? Hopefully they trade me to a good team, a team that is contending.''

Oddly, Garcia talked about his departure one day after he had arguably his best start of the season in a no-decision against the New York Yankees. The right-hander went seven innings, allowing three earned runs on six hits, and retired 13 of the last 14 hitters he faced in an eventual Sox victory.

After all, it was the Yankees.

There lies the problem, as far as the Sox are concerned. Garcia is nicknamed ''Big Game'' because of the way he steps up against the upper-echelon teams. Against the basement dwellers? Garcia admittedly loses focus.

''I know it's bad to say, but I really focus more and concentrate better against better teams, make better pitches,'' he said.

The numbers back that up.

Entering 2006, Garcia had an 8-7 career record with a 5.63 ERA against Kansas City, 4-6 with a 4.32 ERA against Baltimore and 5-5 with a 4.83 ERA against Texas -- three teams that have mostly been sub-.500 in Garcia's seven-year career.

Of his seven losses this year, five have come to teams below .500 (including Cleveland three times), while he has beaten Minnesota twice, Detroit, the Los Angeles Angels, Toronto and St. Louis.

On baseball's biggest stage -- the playoffs -- Garcia is a career 6-2 with a 3.11 ERA, including a 3-0 postseason for the Sox last year.

But it's that mediocrity against the lesser teams that could be one of the factors that leads the Sox to trade Garcia.

''Oh, definitely,'' Garcia responded when asked if he wished he could change that about himself. ''It's been a problem my whole career. Like look at Kansas City, they kill me ... teams like that. I pitch better in big situations.''

Garcia has one year left on the $27 million extension he signed in 2004 and will make $10 million next season. The Sox would like to take that number off the books for the younger, cheaper McCarthy.

And even with Garcia and manager Ozzie Guillen being close friends -- Garcia is married to Guillen's niece -- the 30-year-old pitcher knows it's always business, never personal.

''Nothing will change with Ozzie because it's business,'' Garcia said. ''Nothing you can do. They want to open a spot for McCarthy, and I understand that. He's young, has good stuff, and they want to see what he can do. That's part of the game.

''I just have to keep pitching as well as I can and try winning. That's part of the business.''

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 10:06 PM)
Freddy needs to go to the NL. It would give new life to his career. A team like the mets or the Padres should be interested in Freddy.

Yeah and we'd be interested in the likes of Carillo and Linebrink.

The Pads would be a good fit.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 07:15 AM)
you know how there are some things that may be true but you just dont say publicly if you are a ball player....there were about 4 things freddy said in there that may be true but you just never admit

It's that whole Venezuelan, let the chips fall where they may, brutal honesty.

Yeah, I'm a bit baffled too about why he would make these public comments at this time. Doesn't that amount to a distraction for the team at this point?

I guess the only good thing is that he may pitch his ass off to drive up his value?

Naaaa....

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 09:39 AM)
He would own in the NL west.

Would he? Based on what he has admitted, he only steps it up against upper echelon teams. I am not sure any NL franchise qualifies right now. Maybe he would pitch better in one of those fantasy tournaments where they match up the best teams of all time.

QUOTE(Beltin @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 09:56 AM)
Would he? Based on what he has admitted, he only steps it up against upper echelon teams. I am not sure any NL franchise qualifies right now. Maybe he would pitch better in one of those fantasy tournaments where they match up the best teams of all time.

Yeah he would, the teams out there are flat out bad.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 02:39 PM)
He would own in the NL west.

He'd have a chance for success, but Garcia isn't going to be owning anyone with the stuff he now has. It will actually be very interesting to see if he finally "finds" his fastball in his free agency year.

QUOTE(Beltin @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 09:59 AM)
As opposed to KC?

well KC is in the AL Central, the best division in baseball, that does account for some of their loses. if they were in the NL west, they'd have a slightly different record ;).

not saying they are "good" of course, but they have some good nights. a bunch of s***ty teams all in one division beating up on each other, a couple having halfway decent records, doesn't make them good, just makes them the best of the s***ty teams.

QUOTE(Maverick0984 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 03:21 PM)
well KC is in the AL Central, the best division in baseball, that does account for some of their loses. if they were in the NL west, they'd have a slightly different record ;).

not saying they are "good" of course, but they have some good nights. a bunch of s***ty teams all in one division beating up on each other, a couple having halfway decent records, doesn't make them good, just makes them the best of the s***ty teams.

KC would come in last place in the NL West.

I'm sorry, but we should all be outraged, and so should kenny. According to Freddy, he isn't giving 100% unless he deams its against teams that matter.

Trade this fat sweaty f*** and be done with him. He should be off the team for admitting that.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 03:36 PM)
I don't see how this could cost him 4 mph on his fastball.

The sooner everyone on the Sox takes responsibility for their own actions, the better we'll be. There's been way too many excuses, etc. for a championship team.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 10:25 AM)
I'm sorry, but we should all be outraged, and so should kenny. According to Freddy, he isn't giving 100% unless he deams its against teams that matter.

Trade this fat sweaty f*** and be done with him. He should be off the team for admitting that.

Normally you'd expect the manager to get pissed at his pitcher (nephew) for saying this, but he's too busy telling our young stud pitcher that he sucks while he does only what he's told to do.

QUOTE(WinningUgly85 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 10:31 AM)
why are we making freddy think hes walking out the door. I don't see this as a good thing. Freddy might not be playing wellbecause of this.

Good point. I think we place too much value on some of this stuff, but in this case you could be right. Didn't Colon have the same problem?

But, if winning another WS in our lifetimes is a goal, isn't there room in the rotation for one "Big Game" guy? I'd love to have him in Rocktober . . .

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 08:41 AM)
Good point. I think we place too much value on some of this stuff, but in this case you could be right. Didn't Colon have the same problem?

But, if winning another WS in our lifetimes is a goal, isn't there room in the rotation for one "Big Game" guy? I'd love to have him in Rocktober . . .

I'd love to have the "Big Game" Freddy Garcia in October too. But we haven't seen the "Big Game" Freddy Garcia since last October.

I doubt Freddy can't pitch vs. the weaker AL teams because the sox have mentioned trading him. Has he pitched better since the trading deadline? A bit. But his velocity is still down.

If Freddy goes, I'm sure the sox would rather trade him to a NL team so the sox don't have to face him. Esp as he only gets up for the better teams like the sox.

Any number of teams would have to be interested in Freddy--Philly, STL, the Mets.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 04:09 PM)
I doubt Freddy can't pitch vs. the weaker AL teams because the sox have mentioned trading him. Has he pitched better since the trading deadline? A bit. But his velocity is still down.

If Freddy goes, I'm sure the sox would rather trade him to a NL team so the sox don't have to face him. Esp as he only gets up for the better teams like the sox.

Any number of teams would have to be interested in Freddy--Philly, STL, the Mets.

I would gladly face Garcia in the future. If he keeps up at his current rate, he's going to be throwing 85 mph consistently next year.