Sox @ Detroit

Heads22

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 11:11 PM)
I was told to conserve my powers....well...they could make a difference now.

Man, I thought the Dead Sox boards were bad... Last I looked the Sox STILL have the WC lead by half a game despite their s****y play. I'm kinda hoping they just stay afloat until the last week of the season when everybody gets going at the same time, just like last year. Remember, the champion isn't always the best team, just the hottest team entering the playoffs. The question beckons....is this team going to pick itself up.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 11:06 PM)
We need some good Heads vibes. We also need the last 3 games.

Don't get greedy. I'd settle for not getting swept.

QUOTE(cgaudin @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 08:37 AM)
Man, I thought the Dead Sox boards were bad... Last I looked the Sox STILL have the WC lead by half a game despite their s****y play. I'm kinda hoping they just stay afloat until the last week of the season when everybody gets going at the same time, just like last year. Remember, the champion isn't always the best team, just the hottest team entering the playoffs. The question beckons....is this team going to pick itself up.

Don't get greedy. I'd settle for not getting swept.

Last year the White Sox won 99 games as well as the Central Division, over the offseason they add another starter the their already "best in baseball" rotation, one of the best power hitters in the game and 2 of the best bench players around, the team is improved and energized and yet the fans are supposed to settle for being 22 games over .500 and tied for the lead in the wild card (loss column).

I'm sorry but I don't see any reason to "settle" with this team, the expectations were high comming into the season and based on those expectations, this team has fallen flat on it's face.

QUOTE(cgaudin @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 09:37 AM)

As I said in the other threads that you made in the Diamond Club, read this board sometimes :P

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 11:54 AM)
Last year the White Sox won 99 games as well as the Central Division, over the offseason they add another starter the their already "best in baseball" rotation, one of the best power hitters in the game and 2 of the best bench players around, the team is improved and energized and yet the fans are supposed to settle for being 22 games over .500 and tied for the lead in the wild card (loss column).

I'm sorry but I don't see any reason to "settle" with this team, the expectations were high comming into the season and based on those expectations, this team has fallen flat on it's face.

Given that the team "improved" its roster, I concur that if this team doesn't AT LEAST make the playoffs, then it should be considered a HUGE letdown. JR and KW did their part, from my point of view. JR opened up his wallet, and secured the Sox's pitching future as well as add huge thunder to the lineup. Using the word "settle" did not suggest accepting a lesser product on the field. Given the infinite number of factors that effect the outcome of a game, the big picture is what counts,... how many W's were compiled at season's end, and that they have the most W's for a WC berth or outright division championship. How they get there and the relative methods employed for reaching the goal is irrelevant. So losing a few games now, regardless of who it is the Sox play, means little. Now, if October 2 comes around and the Sox are playing golf, then I will be the first to write a 10 page dissertation explaining "Half-game" Vasquez's phychological block, and his inability to pitch from the stretch. Till then, it's one game at a time, no matter how painful it might be to watch sometimes.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 11:44 AM)
There are going to be a few idiots who blame Williams, but if the Sox fail to make the post season, IMO its ALL on the players and staff. Williams built a WS club, and ADDED to it in 06. Anything can happen from year to year, but we should be talking about setting up the playoff rotation right now. Instead we are talking about how are starters make way too much money for the efforts they have been giving....

Well, at some level there can be blame placed on KW as well, first and foremost for taking the chance on Javier Vazquez despite 2 straight years of evidence about how risky he actually was, and secondly for not taking any steps to try to upgrade the starting pitching at the trade deadline, when it had clearly passed the bullpen on the list of "shakiest parts of this team."

You can give him some credit for fixing the shakiest part of the team, the bullpen, with a couple of damn fine acquisitions, but I think that some blame can be placed on him for not doing anything about the starters, even if it was just to shake things up. Move Garcia for prospects and bring in BMac in July when there's time to stretch him out, or move Vazquez, or heck, just start DL-ing people who are struggling to give them a rest and stretch out McCarthy in the meanwhile. Something, anything to help would have been nice.

But anyway, enough b****ing about KW, if the pitchers did their jobs there wouldn't have been a problem.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 01:44 PM)
There are going to be a few idiots who blame Williams, but if the Sox fail to make the post season, IMO its ALL on the players and staff. Williams built a WS club, and ADDED to it in 06.

Absolutely agree. I could make a list of at least 10 factors that may be contributing to the small (that's right, I said small, given we are still in a playoff position) gap between this team's performance and expectations. KW is not one of them.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 01:23 PM)
Absolutely agree. I could make a list of at least 10 factors that may be contributing to the small (that's right, I said small, given we are still in a playoff position) gap between this team's performance and expectations. KW is not one of them.

good point. this team might very well scrape out a playoff spot and then go on a tear. Again. And all this crap will be forgotten. Man...would that be sweet! :P

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 06:44 PM)
There are going to be a few idiots who blame Williams, but if the Sox fail to make the post season, IMO its ALL on the players and staff. Williams built a WS club, and ADDED to it in 06. Anything can happen from year to year, but we should be talking about setting up the playoff rotation right now. Instead we are talking about how are starters make way too much money for the efforts they have been giving....

The ONLY real complaint I have regarding KW is his inability to add a 4th outfielder (righty) to the team this year that can play LF/CF. I hated the Vazquez deal, but I can completely understand why the deal was made. As someone else said, we can find about 20 other members of the organization to complain about before KW's name would even come up.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 03:53 PM)
Hard to get excited about this game, so...

Just win for f***s sake

I have been thinking the SAME thing all day. I am not the least bit excited about this game today. I hope to god Buehrle can find his good s*** and pitch like the REAL Mark Buehrle.

Just win. I don't care how, I don't care by how many, just f***ING win!!!

:gosox2:

LF Ozuna

2B Iguchi

DH Thome

1B Konerko

RF Dye

3B Crede

SS Uribe

CF Anderson

C Alomar Jr.

2B Perez

LF Monroe