Keep Jermaine in the #3 hole

VAfan

I know I've been harping on this since before the season began. I just hope Ozzie realizes after today's game that our lineup is going to be better with Jermaine #3, PK #4, and Thome, when he returns, #5, with Crede #6 and AJ #7. It's a better alignment against lefties and righties.

We went 16-1 with JD hitting 3rd last year. We could use a little tear like that to put the Twins in our rear view mirror and put some heat back on the Tigers.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 05:29 PM)
I know I've been harping on this since before the season began. I just hope Ozzie realizes after today's game that our lineup is going to be better with Jermaine #3, PK #4, and Thome, when he returns, #5, with Crede #6 and AJ #7. It's a better alignment against lefties and righties.

We went 16-1 with JD hitting 3rd last year. We could use a little tear like that to put the Twins in our rear view mirror and put some heat back on the Tigers.

Yes, Yes, PLEASE put JD in the three hole. I'd put Thome fourth and Paulie fifth to have the R-L-R in the middle, but either way is fine as long as JD is number three where he belongs.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 04:29 PM)

I've been saying this all year. Everybody drinks the Thome kool-aid because he's got big numbers. Problem is when he gets cold, so does the rest of the lineup, and the offense sputters. Having him in the 3 spot has cost the Sox several ballgames, DESPITE Thome's big numbers. And yes I know this is the most potent offense in baseball, and Thome has a lot to do with it. But the offense is INCONSISTENT, and that inconsistency costs ballgames. Dye has been a more consistent hitter throughout the season, and although his strikeout ratio I consider to be high, it is not the astronomical 30% ratio that Thome whiffs at. Thome has, by far, the highest strikeout ratio of ANY 3 hitter in baseball. The closest one to him is Derek Lee of the beloved Cubs in the northside at 24%. I contend that the offense will be more fluid and consistent, possibly even more productive by having Thome batting cleanup against righties and moving down to 5th against lefties. And all you sabermetricians out there, save your bull**** 'cause I don't want to hear all that stupidity.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 05:50 PM)
I agree... I think JD, Thome, Konerko works the best... JD, also adds a little speed, we saw him stretch that single into a double!

I agree. Let JD hit in the 3 and Thome 4. I'm not sure how Konerko will feel hitting in the 5 hole though. He might get insulted. I am for whatever makes the team better, and I think JD batting in the 3 hole makes our offense that much better. He's our most consistent hitter, and if he keeps this pace up, he will have to be considered as a potential MVP candidate.

QUOTE(diegotony06 @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 10:56 PM)
I agree. Let JD hit in the 3 and Thome 4. I'm not sure how Konerko will feel hitting in the 5 hole though. He might get insulted. I am for whatever makes the team better, and I think JD batting in the 3 hole makes our offense that much better. He's our most consistent hitter, and if he keeps this pace up, he will have to be considered as a potential MVP candidate.

Paulie is too classy to be insulted by that. If Ozzie wants it done that way I think he will be fine with it. I mean come on he signed back with us for less money and refused to wear the C on his jersey. JD as of this point should be the AL MVP, Papi is going to win it though which is really a bunch of bullls***, I hate how awards are voted for

QUOTE(cgaudin @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 05:48 PM)
I've been saying this all year. Everybody drinks the Thome kool-aid because he's got big numbers. Problem is when he gets cold, so does the rest of the lineup, and the offense sputters. Having him in the 3 spot has cost the Sox several ballgames, DESPITE Thome's big numbers. And yes I know this is the most potent offense in baseball, and Thome has a lot to do with it. But the offense is INCONSISTENT, and that inconsistency costs ballgames. Dye has been a more consistent hitter throughout the season, and although his strikeout ratio I consider to be high, it is not the astronomical 30% ratio that Thome whiffs at. Thome has, by far, the highest strikeout ratio of ANY 3 hitter in baseball. The closest one to him is Derek Lee of the beloved Cubs in the northside at 24%. I contend that the offense will be more fluid and consistent, possibly even more productive by having Thome batting cleanup against righties and moving down to 5th against lefties. And all you sabermetricians out there, save your bull**** 'cause I don't want to hear all that stupidity.

Its not necessarily him getting cold, its that the 1,2,3 hitters cant hit LHP for s***. Dye crushes both.

QUOTE(rafacosta @ Aug 25, 2006 -> 11:10 AM)
Agst LHers he should switch with Thome...

That I could live with. Dye has a much better OPS againt lefties than Thome, but Thome just crushes righties with a 1.206 OPS.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 05:29 PM)

Our pitching had a little something to do with that. I'm all for Dye hitting third if that is what's best for the team.

Well, I don't think it was a bad thing to put Thome in the 3-hole at the beginning of the season. He had some pretty lengthy on-base streak going and was putting up monster numbers. When you want your highest OBP guy in that slot...there you go. What we didn't have for most of last season was a no. 3 hitter, and Thome came in as a natural no. 3. Easy choice to put him there.

I do, however, think it's a mistake to keep the gimpy, post All-Star Break Thome at 3 when his production has fallen off and you have someone who has been putting up 3-worthy numbers consistently. When you have the luxury of guys like Thome, Konerko, Dye, Crede, and even Pierzynski swinging as well as they have at points this year, it should figure in the lineup more than it has.