Official High School Football Thread!!!

Brian

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 11:00 PM)
The win over Ben Davis this weekend was impressive, but what was strange to me is Warren Central only threw six passes, completing three. To be able to rack 500+ yards on the ground is impressive, but how balanced are they? Can they play from behind?

If they can rack up 500 yards on the ground, they might be able to run the ball to come from behind. ;)

Edited by Rowand44

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Sep 10, 2006 -> 11:00 PM)
Let's not make that assumption too quickly. I know Warren Central is good, but don't forget the little team in Hoover, AL. It's a shame they can't play due to IHSAA rules. Hoover is willing to play the best and has done so. Hoover opened the season on the road beating Tulsa Union 34-7. Union is the two-time defending Oklahoma State Champion and ironically, the home of former Warren Central Head Coach Kevin Wright. Union had won 57 straight home games going into that game.

Hoover has won 5 of the last 6 Alabama 6A state championships, losing in the championship game in the lone non-winning year.

The win over Ben Davis this weekend was impressive, but what was strange to me is Warren Central only threw six passes, completing three. To be able to rack 500+ yards on the ground is impressive, but how balanced are they? Can they play from behind?

I know all the hype that surrounds Hoover, but Warren Central has 4 big-time D1 recruits in their senior class. And who knows how many in the junior class. I didn't say they were better than Hoover, but I'd bet they are just as good.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 11:19 PM)
Pats improve to 4-0.

I'm still waiting for Stevenson to play a good team. They only beat Mundelein by 14 and should of blown them out.

It's safe to say I'll be a Lake Zurich fan when they play Stevenson.

• 2 weeks later...

Well Hoover met their match last night in John Curtis from Louisiana, losing 28-14.

Hoover jumped out to a 14-0 lead in the first 8 minutes of the game and then never scored again. John Curtis routinely rushed three or four and dropped everyone back into zone coverage and Hoover's QB never could find anyone to throw to. That also took away screens for Hoover, which they usually run pretty well.

It seemed like everytime Ross Wilson went back to pass, he was in the pocket for 7-8 seconds, finally being forced to scramble and run or throw out of desparation on the run. John Curtis' D-line was strong enough to snuff Hoover's running game after the 1st quarter.

The thing that seemed weird to me is Joe McKnight, one of the nation's top athlete recruit only had a few carries (they indicated he was a RB 1st). He had a 66-yard run and only finished with like 70-yards rushing. Granted, the 66-yard run was a TD and he caught 2 long TD passes (130-something yards receiving) but they didn't get the ball in the hands of their best player very often. I was surprised at that.

Overall, JC stymied Hoover's high-powered offense, which I have never seen happen. The couple of games I have seen them lose, they still scored around 30 points, give or take a couple. It was a great atmosphere with about 12,000 there and the game on ESPNU. I fully expect Hoover to refocus and win another AL state championship, unless another team can duplicate the defensive scheme used to beat them tonight. Not sure any team in AL will have the athletes and the depth to pull that off, however.

On a side note, Hoover signed off on a 2nd season of Two-A-Days this week, so you will see more of them on MTV. Apparently the show is getting excellent ratings, averaging about 1.8 million viewers each week.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 6, 2006 -> 04:34 PM)
Have you seen that Libertyville is streaming live tonight? http://lhs.district128.org/

Pretty damn cool.

Yeah, I was gonna mention that. I believe they only take a number of viewers before it stops letting people watch. At least that is how it was for a few games last year.

My station is broadcasting Waukegan vs. Niles West...Yawn!

Speaking of Stevenson, the annual Warren vs. Stevenson rivalry game is tomorrow night in Lincolnshire.

Shameless plug, I will be broadcasting the game on 1220 AM in Lake County OR you can hear the game at www.wkrs.com as we are streaming online. Kick off around 7:30pm.

Stevenson is easily the better team this year and Warren needs 1 win to get into the playoffs. If they don't do it this week they got Libertyville next week. Warren remembers last year as well.

QUOTE(Brian @ Oct 12, 2006 -> 04:08 PM)
Speaking of Stevenson, the annual Warren vs. Stevenson rivalry game is tomorrow night in Lincolnshire.

Shameless plug, I will be broadcasting the game on 1220 AM in Lake County OR you can hear the game at www.wkrs.com as we are streaming online. Kick off around 7:30pm.

Stevenson is easily the better team this year and Warren needs 1 win to get into the playoffs. If they don't do it this week they got Libertyville next week. Warren remembers last year as well.

:santabye

• 8 years later...

Q: Brother Rice annihilated Brother Rice of Michigan on Saturday in an interesting game, one in which you could guarantee, 100 percent flat out before kickoff that Brother Rice would win.

My question is: Is Brother Rice of Pulaski Road vastly underrated this year and will they excel? Also, why does St. Laurence always suck in sports? And finally, do schools like Brother Rice recruit players? Is there an art to the recruiting so it's legal according to KSHSAA rules?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 31, 2015 -> 03:10 PM)
Q: Brother Rice annihilated Brother Rice of Michigan on Saturday in an interesting game, one in which you could guarantee, 100 percent flat out before kickoff that Brother Rice would win.

My question is: Is Brother Rice of Pulaski Road vastly underrated this year and will they excel? Also, why does St. Laurence always suck in sports? And finally, do schools like Brother Rice recruit players? Is there an art to the recruiting so it's legal according to KSHSAA rules?

Greg not sure when you left Mt greenwood but all of the southside Catholic schools are getting hit with lower enrollment as costs rise. Brother Rice and Marist has a nice niche to draw city kids and suburban kids. City kids have limited options.

St Laurence problem is that the Garfield Ridge area is more hispanic and the Burbank area and parts of Oak Lawn are more depressed now and hte Reavis/OLHs options are better options.

They do recruit and the trick is getting kids proper financial assistance in order to remain fiscally strong.

I was at the Brother Rice game, they looked incredible but the proof will be in the pudding when the likes of MC, Loyola and Providence come calling.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Aug 31, 2015 -> 08:17 PM)
Greg not sure when you left Mt greenwood but all of the southside Catholic schools are getting hit with lower enrollment as costs rise. Brother Rice and Marist has a nice niche to draw city kids and suburban kids. City kids have limited options.

St Laurence problem is that the Garfield Ridge area is more hispanic and the Burbank area and parts of Oak Lawn are more depressed now and hte Reavis/OLHs options are better options.

They do recruit and the trick is getting kids proper financial assistance in order to remain fiscally strong.

I was at the Brother Rice game, they looked incredible but the proof will be in the pudding when the likes of MC, Loyola and Providence come calling.

Harry do you live on the south side still? I need to get down there for a Brother Rice sporting event to relive the past. Is that parking lot big enough to hold all the cars for football games? Did they rename the field because of the Joe Johnson controversy?

p.s. I looked up and it's 10,000 bucks a year to attend brother rice. You get 3,000 off if you record some amazing score on the entrance exam. Man, if a south side working family had 3 boys born close to each other and were in high school at the same time that'd be 30,000 a year. or even if one was a girl i assume McAuley's tutition is about the same.

You have three boys and 10000 a year that's 120,000 after just four years. Hopefully mom and dad have great occupations. Although you just can't live on the south side and send your kids to public schools can you? I'd assume schools like Morgan Park and Evergreen Park are wretchedly bad.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Aug 31, 2015 -> 05:48 PM)
Harry do you live on the south side still? I need to get down there for a Brother Rice sporting event to relive the past. Is that parking lot big enough to hold all the cars for football games? Did they rename the field because of the Joe Johnson controversy?

p.s. I looked up and it's 10,000 bucks a year to attend brother rice. You get 3,000 off if you record some amazing score on the entrance exam. Man, if a south side working family had 3 boys born close to each other and were in high school at the same time that'd be 30,000 a year. or even if one was a girl i assume McAuley's tutition is about the same.

You have three boys and 10000 a year that's 120,000 after just four years. Hopefully mom and dad have great occupations. Although you just can't live on the south side and send your kids to public schools can you? I'd assume schools like Morgan Park and Evergreen Park are wretchedly bad.

I live in Mt Greenwood.

EP is actually better than it was

MoPo is not an option

Ag School is select enrollment

I have one at Rice and two in catholic grammar school. It is worth it thus far as the education is pretty good. My son did get $3K off for being a bright kid. The community involvement is what makes these schools and neighborhoods thrive. I really like where I live compared to when i lived in the south suburbs. I have always lived in Chicago and like it.

They converted the tennis court to parking and some of the front entrance greenery is parking now as well.

Be weary of Brother Rice until you see how Loyola goes.

The starting QB for Rice and the starting QB for Marist both played in the MHR backfield four years ago....Rice kid was the QB.