Official High School Football Thread!!!

Brian

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Nov 12, 2015 -> 04:27 PM)
If Rice minimizes their mistakes on offense, does not out coach themselves and takes advantage of their talent, they should win and have a date at home with Loyola in the semis.

I am not sure if you are noticing but a couple of upsets and you could see Marist and Rice in 8A finals. Decent chance you see Marist and Loyola.

Wow. I did not notice. Is the Rice game on BrotherRiceTV again?

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Nov 15, 2015 -> 12:08 AM)
I was there. It was pretty bad. Did they show the holding call on tv on the big play that was called back? Seemed to be bulls***. 1 penalty for Loyola all day.

Yep, bogus call. Pryor also might have been in on the pass in the end zone.

Do high school kids choke? How could Bro Rice blow that 17 point lead late in the third quarter vs. Palatine. Now Rice has to contend with a rejuvenated St. Laurence, while Marist is always good now and St. Rita probably isn't going anywhere.

That had to be humbling for Bro Rice. They'd have won the game had it been played on Pulaski.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 18, 2015 -> 02:23 PM)
Do high school kids choke? How could Bro Rice blow that 17 point lead late in the third quarter vs. Palatine. Now Rice has to contend with a rejuvenated St. Laurence, while Marist is always good now and St. Rita probably isn't going anywhere.

That had to be humbling for Bro Rice. They'd have won the game had it been played on Pulaski.

Palatine is good, Rice's defense is a sieve, and they may have looked ahead to Loyola instead of putting their foot on the gas.

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 30, 2015 -> 11:20 PM)
How good is Loyola? Is this one of the best teams in Illinois prep history? They destroyed Cinderella Marist.

Any chance Br. Rice could have given them a game?

Nah they weren't an All Time great team. 8A was really watered down. HF/Loyola was basically the championship. These f***ing Catholic schools man. Nazareth and Montini have absolutely no business playing in 5A and 6A. It's the Tim Racki way though. He loaded up and won a bunch of 4A titles at Driscoll back in the day too. It's a joke.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 08:25 AM)
Nah they weren't an All Time great team. 8A was really watered down. HF/Loyola was basically the championship. These f***ing Catholic schools man. Nazareth and Montini have absolutely no business playing in 5A and 6A. It's the Tim Racki way though. He loaded up and won a bunch of 4A titles at Driscoll back in the day too. It's a joke.

Not sure if you follow high school sports other than football but the mighty Mount Carmel Caravan elected to be moved down to AA in wrestling in order to avoid the power programs and essentially guarantee themselves a couple of state champs and a team championship. This would be like them moving down to 5A in football.

Greg, Brother Rice would have given Loyola a better game than Marist, they would not have beaten them and palatine was probably a better match up. Marist benefited from insanely dumb seeding/home team rules to get their two tougher opponents at home and easier one's on the road.

Not certain what he IHSA plan is moving forward but he sate title games except for 7A were a joke. The best 7A game was round two MC and GW.

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 09:23 AM)
Not sure if you follow high school sports other than football but the mighty Mount Carmel Caravan elected to be moved down to AA in wrestling in order to avoid the power programs and essentially guarantee themselves a couple of state champs and a team championship. This would be like them moving down to 5A in football.

Greg, Brother Rice would have given Loyola a better game than Marist, they would not have beaten them and palatine was probably a better match up. Marist benefited from insanely dumb seeding/home team rules to get their two tougher opponents at home and easier one's on the road.

Not certain what he IHSA plan is moving forward but he sate title games except for 7A were a joke. The best 7A game was round two MC and GW.

Harry, I do follow other sports. I coach Football in the SW burbs. Huge wrestling fan and I am aware. Montini is actually 3A for the first time this year though which is good.

The 1-32 seeding was a failure in 8A but it worked perfectly in 7A. Libertyville and GW probably would have played earlier with the old system. HF jacked up the whole thing by losing week 9.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 09:29 AM)
Harry, I do follow other sports. I coach Football in the SW burbs. Huge wrestling fan and I am aware. Montini is actually 3A for the first time this year though which is good.

The 1-32 seeding was a failure in 8A but it worked perfectly in 7A. Libertyville and GW probably would have played earlier with the old system. HF jacked up the whole thing by losing week 9.

WV getting NC at home and then WV having to go to Marist was the kicker in 8A, that bottom bracket was all kinds of messed up with Huntly getting the high seed with Edwardsville and neither being all that good and gone after round two

I'd argue South Elgin, Palatine, Rice, HF, OPRF and Loyola were all better than any team in the bottom bracket except maybe NC and then the top also had Stevenson. I guess as you pointed out sometimes the 1-32 works and some times it does not.

The MC thing irks the hell out of me as that group there is pretty smug and love to hang banners and yet most are for winning v competition that is not comparable. They won 6A and 8A once and the *A victory was simnialr to the Marist run this year.

Don't get me wrong Lenti is a great coach and awesome playoff performer.

I also detest the fact that every single person assocaited with that school drapes themself in MC swag.

Edited by Harry Chappas

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 09:23 AM)

That's what Morgan Park did in basketball.

QUOTE (Brian @ Dec 1, 2015 -> 10:40 AM)
That's what Morgan Park did in basketball.

They won state didn't they?

Phillips entire team is the high school version of Jackie Robinson Little League. All of those players came from other programs.

My problem is more with the Montini, Naz and MC of the world as they beat up on the smaller classes and like to tell everyone how great they are.

• 3 months later...

I didn't want to make a new thread for this.

I just had a question or two on basketball. ...

• Are you surprised Benet has advanced to the final vs. Curie?

• If Benet wins is it the biggest upset in Illinois high school sports history, Benet beating a Chicago Public League team in the large class basketball final?

• Has any school ever had its girls and boys teams in the state basketball finals in the same year? It's pretty difficult to make the final game in Illinois compared to most states as you gotta win more games.

Where does this Benet accomplishment rank?

Benet is 31-3. I'd say they're favored vs Curie who has one of the worst coaches in state. What Heidcamp has done with this team is unreal. If they win, best coach job I've ever seen in Illinois. No D1 players and don't think anyone over 6'3.

I'm surprised they beat Simeon but they're better than Curie.

You're the only person I heard that thought benet was favored. Kinda silly to call coach oliver the worst in the state after he just won a state championship. I've thought he wasn't great after his misuse of Wayne Blackshear as primarily a post player before he transferred, but I've seen him enough to know he does a good job with his kids and has brought in some talent to curie. Congrats to Curie...and yeah, just like NCAA, down year for basketball talent.