GAME THREAD: Devil Rays @ Sox, 7:05pm

NorthSideSox72

Tuesday, August 29th, 7:05pm

Tampa Bay Devil Rays at Chicago White Sox

US Cellular Field

Fossum (6-5) vs Garcia (12-8)

Preview: http://www.sportsline.com/mlb/gamecenter/p...20060829_TB@CHW

I'm putting my 2-0 regular season game thread record on the line here. Time to beat up on the teams we are supposed to beat up on.

*clears throat*

GO YOU WHITE SOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:bringit :gosox1:

Edited by NorthSideSox72

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

And Fossum comes in with a better ERA than Mr. Garcia... although its really not hard to do, unless you Javier Vazquez.

But none-the-less, I expect a 10-8 victory, with 8 ER for Garcia over 4.2 IP, and then a huge 5 run 7th for the Sox to earn the victory for MacDougal.

Despite the, (ahem), quality of this week's opponents, this remains a pretty huge week for the Sox. They can't win a playoff spot this week, but they sure as heck can damage their chances for a playoff spot by losing more than 1 or 2 games.

Go Sox!

This is a terrible match-up for the Sox tonight, as the DRays will have one of the faster teams in recent memory in their starting lineup. They have quite a few guys that will turn a single/walk into an automatic double, so Garcia better try and limit the amount of baserunners he's allowed. Fossum has been striking out a lot of guys in the games I've seen him pitch, but he seems to give up a big 3 run homer which makes his ERA balloon.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Aug 29, 2006 -> 04:25 PM)
Aaaaaand away they go....

I usually think we match up very well against the lower level teams. However, tonight is one example where our biggest weakness could possibly be dominated by their only real strength.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 29, 2006 -> 08:26 AM)
I usually think we match up very well against the lower level teams. However, tonight is one example where our biggest weakness could possibly be dominated by their only real strength.

I hear you, but balance that concern against the fact we're facing the second worst team in the league and a team that is abysmal on the road.

The term "must win" gets tossed around a lot and I will use it for the first time tonight. Obviously we're not mathematically eliminated if we lose, but to lose to such a bad team in the heat of a pennant race would be a major step back. Therefore...MUST WIN.

:gosox3:

For these 6 games against TB and KC...

6-0 is obviously ideal, I'd be ecstatic, and we'd likely gain ground on both MIN and DET

5-1 is good, acceptable at least, and gives us a decent chance of gaining ground on one of them

4-2 is not so great, and I'm afraid we may at best just keep pace

3-3 and I'm pissed

2-4 and forget about the post-season

1-5 and they should be embarrassed

0-6 and you might as well call up everyone from Charlotte to audition for jobs

This season, lefties are batting .277 with an .852 OPS against Fossum. Righties are batting .260 with a .760 OPS against Fossum.

Scott Podsednik is 4 for 6 in his career against Fossum with a triple and a walk. Pablo is 3/5. I imagine Ozzie will of course ignore the numbers and put Pablo in there because Fossum is right handed...but either way, the top of the order is the key tonight.

Any news on whether Thome will play?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 29, 2006 -> 01:26 PM)
This season, lefties are batting .277 with an .852 OPS against Fossum. Righties are batting .260 with a .760 OPS against Fossum.

Scott Podsednik is 4 for 6 in his career against Fossum with a triple and a walk. Pablo is 3/5. I imagine Ozzie will of course ignore the numbers and put Pablo in there because Fossum is right handed...but either way, the top of the order is the key tonight.

Any news on whether Thome will play?

Um... Pablo is right-handed. If Ozzie ignores the numbers and goes his usual L/R, he'll play Pods.

EDIT: Fossum is a lefty, that's why your post confused me.

Edited by NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Aug 29, 2006 -> 01:20 PM)
For these 6 games against TB and KC...

6-0 is obviously ideal, I'd be ecstatic, and we'd likely gain ground on both MIN and DET

5-1 is good, acceptable at least, and gives us a decent chance of gaining ground on one of them

4-2 is not so great, and I'm afraid we may at best just keep pace

3-3 and I'm pissed

2-4 and forget about the post-season

1-5 and they should be embarrassed

0-6 and you might as well call up everyone from Charlotte to audition for jobs

In Soxtalk reality...

6-0--> we are the greatest team ever, and are winning the World Series

5-1--> civil war remains the norm on Soxtalk, with brother fighting brother over whether being negative is a capital offense, or being positive can get you excommunitcated from being a Sox fan

4-2 -->Most of the few positives flee for Beirut, as it is more peaceful this time of year

3-3 to 0-6--> Its the end of the World, and certian death will occur because Ozzie said he would kill all of our moms if we didn't come out of this with a winning record. Guillen gets fired, while Forrest Gump and his much superior IQ are promoted to manage the Sox.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 29, 2006 -> 01:44 PM)
In Soxtalk reality...

5-1--> civil war remains the norm on Soxtalk, with brother fighting brother over whether being negative is a capital offense, or being positive can get you excommunitcated from being a Sox fan

4-2 -->Most of the few positives flee for Beirut, as it is more peaceful this time of year

3-3 to 0-6--> Its the end of the World, and certian death will occur because Ozzie said he would kill all of our moms if we didn't come out of this with a winning record. Guillen gets fired, while Forrest Gump and his much superior IQ are promoted to manage the Sox.

Nice. :bang

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 29, 2006 -> 10:44 AM)
In Soxtalk reality...

so funny...yet so true!

QUOTE(TitoMB345 @ Aug 29, 2006 -> 07:44 AM)
And Fossum comes in with a better ERA than Mr. Garcia... although its really not hard to do, unless you Javier Vazquez.

But none-the-less, I expect a 10-8 victory, with 8 ER for Garcia over 4.2 IP, and then a huge 5 run 7th for the Sox to earn the victory for MacDougal.

Nope. You got it all wrong. It will go like this; he will retire the Rays in order in the first. The Sox will take a 2 run lead in the bottom of the first only to see it evaporate in the second. The same thing in the third and fourth inning. Then he will cruise until the 7th and give up 2 more runs. The Sox will lose by one run, then Freddy will go to the post game conference saying he's tired of losing one run ballgames, that the offense just isn't pulling through. Final score Devil Rays 8 Sox 7. Go Freddy.....and be sure to toke up a couple of bong hits during the pre-game to help you relax.

QUOTE(cgaudin @ Aug 29, 2006 -> 04:04 PM)
Nope. You got it all wrong. It will go like this; he will retire the Rays in order in the first. The Sox will take a 2 run lead in the bottom of the first only to see it evaporate in the second. The same thing in the third and fourth inning. Then he will cruise until the 7th and give up 2 more runs. The Sox will lose by one run, then Freddy will go to the post game conference saying he's tired of losing one run ballgames, that the offense just isn't pulling through. Final score Devil Rays 8 Sox 7. Go Freddy.....and be sure to toke up a couple of bong hits during the pre-game to help you relax.

:bang

One very disturbing fact is that Tampa will surely put the running shoes on. I wager they steal 10 bases this series and 7 of those score. Thing is AJ is completely helpless in this regard. The baserunners will be more than halfway before Garcia has even released the ball. This more than anything will define whether the Sox win or lose. I do not want Garcia in a Sox uniform again. Teams have picked up on this and are making the most of it. This will plague Freddy for the rest of his career.

QUOTE(cgaudin @ Aug 29, 2006 -> 04:04 PM)
One very disturbing fact is that Tampa will surely put the running shoes on. I wager they steal 10 bases this series and 7 of those score. Thing is AJ is completely helpless in this regard. The baserunners will be more than halfway before Garcia has even released the ball. This more than anything will define whether the Sox win or lose. I do not want Garcia in a Sox uniform again. Teams have picked up on this and are making the most of it. This will plague Freddy for the rest of his career.

not if the infield is wet...

I am sure you saw that we recalled Jerry Owens and placed him on the disabled list. This was done because players on your roster on August 31 are eligible for your postseason rosters. We were covering our bases.

AM I the only guy that missed this one