• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(mreye @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 09:01 AM)
Bingo!!

I see your bingo and raise ya one...

Meaning: east of the Ryan? Seems like a GOLDMINE to me. If I had money I'd open a place there. That place SCREAMS to be the new Wrigleyville.

Edited by LVSoxFan

The real pay-off would have been to sign a new lease and then sell a cash-cow of a bar, now that isn't an option.

That being said the Landlord can do what he wants, Jimbo should have tried for an extension years ago, and will obviously have to pay much higher rent if he wanted to stay anyways. If the lease only stated 30-day notice than the official 30 day notice was sent. Also, if Jimbo's knew there was risk of not extending the lease they should have been looking into new space over a year ago and they wouldn't be in the situation they are in now.

QUOTE(chiguy79 @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 10:37 AM)
The real pay-off would have been to sign a new lease and then sell a cash-cow of a bar, now that isn't an option.

That being said the Landlord can do what he wants, Jimbo should have tried for an extension years ago, and will obviously have to pay much higher rent if he wanted to stay anyways. If the lease only stated 30-day notice than the official 30 day notice was sent. Also, if Jimbo's knew there was risk of not extending the lease they should have been looking into new space over a year ago and they wouldn't be in the situation they are in now.

What situation is that?

I heard Brandmeier on the radio this morning trying to get that immigrant lady shacked up in that church to move her base to Jimbo's... to try and keep it from closing.

funny stuff

QUOTE(My Dixie Normus @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 10:19 AM)
McCuddy's and Danny O'Brien's where 10x the bar that Jimbo's ever was. That is not a knock on Jimbo's but those two joints were great. Still, tis a shame.

I always thought that somebody wanting to make a fortune would re-open another McCuddy's by the ballpark. It was never old enough to go in there, but I remember walking by and it always was jammed.

When the sox were talking about opening beer tents outside the field to give comiskey that neighborhood feel, they should have just built a big bar and called it McCuddy's. Actually, they should still do that. I'm sure it would make a fortune.

QUOTE(AbeFroman @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 11:11 AM)
I heard Brandmeier on the radio this morning trying to get that immigrant lady shacked up in that church to move her base to Jimbo's... to try and keep it from closing.

funny stuff

I always thought that somebody wanting to make a fortune would re-open another McCuddy's by the ballpark. It was never old enough to go in there, but I remember walking by and it always was jammed.

When the sox were talking about opening beer tents outside the field to give comiskey that neighborhood feel, they should have just built a big bar and called it McCuddy's. Actually, they should still do that. I'm sure it would make a fortune.

lol. That made me laugh. I can't tell you how many times I was in there... I still have a John Cangelosi autograph from when I met him there... BTW I am turning 33 in December.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 11:12 AM)
lol. That made me laugh. I can't tell you how many times I was in there... I still have a John Cangelosi autograph from when I met him there... BTW I am turning 33 in December.

yeah... I'm 26, so you had a couple years on me.

Your story is interesting to me though. Every time I ever heard a story about McCuddy's people always bring up that the players used to go there after games. Its actually kind of wierd to think that guys from the team would just cross the street and have a couple beers. That doesn's seem to happen nowadays.

QUOTE(AbeFroman @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 11:32 AM)
yeah... I'm 26, so you had a couple years on me.

Your story is interesting to me though. Every time I ever heard a story about McCuddy's people always bring up that the players used to go there after games. Its actually kind of wierd to think that guys from the team would just cross the street and have a couple beers. That doesn's seem to happen nowadays.

I think more than anything guys get sick of being hounded. They just want to kick back and have a beer like everyone else, and that gets harder the more popular things get. Soxfest over the years is a great example of that. There used to be everyone who came to the Big Bar to hang out at night. I remember seeing guys like Big Frank down there and everything. This year, there was such a mob, basically no one wanted to be out there, as they wouldn't have gotten a second of peace.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 06:55 AM)
The condo plan has been "in the works" for over 2 years already now. For whatever reason they are in no rush to get the project going.

My guess is with the real estate markets slowing, the developers are in no hurry to put money out there, especially since property values will probably go down a bit more between now and than.

All I can say is one thing, this sucks, but at the same time its part of doing business and when your leasing you can get moved at any time. The owner of this building has his right to things that he sees fit. Afterall, its his money that bought the buildind and while Jimbo pays rent the other guy (Ray) owns the building and what he wants to do with it is his perogative.

I missed out on the whole McCuddy's thing but certainly didn't miss out on Jimbo's--heh heh--but unless they owned the building (VITAL POINT) their days were numbered the moment that area started coming up.

And from what I can tell that area has been coming up like crazy, with the 2000 WS only adding to that. So out with the ole' favorites like Jimbo's and helloooo, Starbuck's, etc.

I still think the hidden treasure in the area is east of the Ryan. That just seems RIPE for a "strip" centered on Sox fan traffic (although in reality what would they do in the offseason? Wrigleyville still has all the foot traffic and surrounding neighborhoods).

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 11:46 AM)
First Santa's Village now this.

That bummed me when I read it. I remember all the times I would go with my aunt, her friend and her friend's nieces and nephews.

As for Jimbo's it shocks me, but it doesn't. Condos are everywhere now-a-days. Can't stand them myself, but they serve a purpose I guess.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 11:39 AM)
My guess is with the real estate markets slowing, the developers are in no hurry to put money out there, especially since property values will probably go down a bit more between now and than.

Well, you'd be quite wrong in that regard. Parts of the South Side, especially in Bridgeport, are going to boom within the next ten years.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 08:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Couldn't Jimbo just find another spot and re-open? His place needs a makeover anyway. This kind of stuff happens everyday, and its the landlord's right to do what he's doing. Personally, I think if they fix it up and open their own restaurant/bar, it probably will do fine. I could understand Jimbo's frustration, as now the crowds come, he maximizes profit and loses his lease.

It could very well, but what there probably aren't enough liquor licenses to open a new place. JImbo's current liquor license belongs to the owner of the land, not the owner of the establishment. No liquor, no crowd.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 07:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone know what we can do to help???

Just from reading this it seems as if the landlords are trying to get Jimbo to pay more money, or possibly tried to raise the rent and Jimbo refused. I am not sure. I am not in the know, however, it seems as if they may be trying to get more money out of Jimbo in a new lease. Could this possibly be the case?

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 12:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, you'd be quite wrong in that regard. Parts of the South Side, especially in Bridgeport, are going to boom within the next ten years.

Hell, you don't have to go far to realize that. Look at how much the Pilsen area increased in value with the new condos and townhomes going up. That was the worst area in Chicago not too long ago.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 11:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First Santa's Village now this.

I think a place at the 35th and Wentworth would be ideal as this is where the buses park, the el is and next year the route to the Metra would be. All routes for those that can indulge without the worries of traffic.

Liquor license? How will they get it? The liquor license does not travel with them. If the owner of their current location really wants to open their own restaurant I am sure they will keep that liquor license.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 10:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What situation is that?

huh? The situation that they are currently in. The situation of possibly losing their location.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 12:04 PM)

it's already boomed. the market is definitely slowing now ... more sellers than buyers. the area is and will continue to grow though, just not at the crazy pace it was at a year ago.

this is purely business. is it s***ty? in a way, yes, but it's business. when renting or leasing, you are renting or leasing. it's not yours, so something like this shouldn't come as a surprise.

as far as putting a bar east of the Dan Ryan? there has been talks of that happening for years now. Putting a business there based on hope and then on top of it doing it because of the business you'll get 81 days of the year, doesn't make sense. A sports stadium will help businesses that already exist, but you can't just start a business because of the traffic you'll get 81 days a year, what about all the other days? East of the Ryan is a wait-and-see.

QUOTE(Molto @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 02:04 PM)
it's already boomed. the market is definitely slowing now ... more sellers than buyers. the area is and will continue to grow though, just not at the crazy pace it was at a year ago.

this is purely business. is it s***ty? in a way, yes, but it's business. when renting or leasing, you are renting or leasing. it's not yours, so something like this shouldn't come as a surprise.

as far as putting a bar east of the Dan Ryan? there has been talks of that happening for years now. Putting a business there based on hope and then on top of it doing it because of the business you'll get 81 days of the year, doesn't make sense. A sports stadium will help businesses that already exist, but you can't just start a business because of the traffic you'll get 81 days a year, what about all the other days? East of the Ryan is a wait-and-see.

Well I agree, hence my Wrigleyville comparison. You're right: what are they gonna do for the rest of the year?

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 02:22 PM)
Well I agree, hence my Wrigleyville comparison. You're right: what are they gonna do for the rest of the year?

yep. I'm sure a lot of businesses across the country ignore that question when they decide to throw a bar or restaurant up just because there is a stadium near by, and then get bitten in the ass by it.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 07:40 AM)
I talked to Jimbo about this a little on Tuesday night and I'll see him again today to discuss. It's not final, but it doesn't look good. I know many don't like Jimbo's, but it's been a staple for 20 years of my fan career and if it closes it will be a very sad day. Jim asked a few "friends" downtown, but since it's not a license issue there isn't much to do other than appeal to the building owner. A few folks have suggested mass media pleading and a petition. But like I said, it's a personal thing so I don't know if that would have any impact.

Yeah sounds like they are screwed. Such a shame.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 10:04 AM)

Don't get me wrong, I think they will boom but I think you'll see the developers in no hurry to instantly throw stuff up. If the market was as hot now as it was a year ago or even before that I think you'd see them working at more frantic pace to really redevelop the area across from the Dan Ryan.

Right now they are going at a more slow pace because they know they have prime land but I think they are going to wait out the market slowdown.

There's always Schaller's and Shinnock's. We don't know the entire story. This has been around for a couple of weeks, even the dates. Jimbo is playing up to the media making it look like they are giving him 30 days and he's just shocked by it. I don't know why the owner of the building doesn't want him open if there are playoffs. They must be feuding. The truth with the entire story as far as what has been communicated between the 2 parties over the last few months probably falls somewhere in between what Jimbo claims and what the landlord will claim. I just wonder, does anyone go to Jimbo's on a non-game day? I can't imagine he being too busy. Maybe he does a decent lunch, but I remember going in there back when the crowd at USCF was about

5000 people and some tumbleweeds, and the place was dead.

I'm not even so sure, if Jimbo's were to close, a new bar would even go up. I believe the area around Jimbo's is considered a dry zone, and Jimbo's was grandfathered in, so I believe any new business there can't be a bar.

Then again, clout can do some crazy stuff, but I think many of the people on that block aren't too fond of a bar there anyway, so that may just become what many lots are becoming, a house or condo.

I know it's pretty hard to start a bar in the area though, as residents usually vote against it.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 31, 2006 -> 05:17 PM)
There's always Schaller's and Shinnock's. We don't know the entire story. This has been around for a couple of weeks, even the dates. Jimbo is playing up to the media making it look like they are giving him 30 days and he's just shocked by it. I don't know why the owner of the building doesn't want him open if there are playoffs. They must be feuding. The truth with the entire story as far as what has been communicated between the 2 parties over the last few months probably falls somewhere in between what Jimbo claims and what the landlord will claim. I just wonder, does anyone go to Jimbo's on a non-game day? I can't imagine he being too busy. Maybe he does a decent lunch, but I remember going in there back when the crowd at USCF was about

5000 people and some tumbleweeds, and the place was dead.

from what I can tell, living pretty close by, it's typical bar business aside Sox games. probably just a group of regulars, and then when the Sox are in town, bam, packed.