Keep last night's lineup for good

Jimbo's Drinker

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Sep 7, 2006 -> 01:32 PM)
I like pods lower down in the lineup for now...maybe he can help roll the lineup over.

At the cost of defense? I am not very high on that at all.

You have an OF for the rest of the year of Sweeney-Anderson-Dye, and you will have to hit the hell out of a ball for it to land in that OF.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Sep 7, 2006 -> 01:32 PM)
I like pods lower down in the lineup for now...maybe he can help roll the lineup over.

I like the idea of Brian and his near .300 BA the last 2 months, along with Cintron and his solid play, rolling the lineup over better than Pods, who's OBP is like .255 the last 8 weeks.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 7, 2006 -> 01:33 PM)
I like the idea of Brian and his near .300 BA the last 2 months, along with Cintron and his solid play, rolling the lineup over better than Pods, who's OBP is like .255 the last 8 weeks.

I love Cintron in the 9 spot. Mediocre defense, mediocre with the stick, but he has had a knack for the clutch this year, and gets on base more often than Uribe. If this team didn't have enough power, than Uribe would be the better choice of the two. As is, I'll let Uribe and his .261 OBP stay on the bench.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 7, 2006 -> 01:39 PM)
I love Cintron in the 9 spot. Mediocre defense, mediocre with the stick, but he has had a knack for the clutch this year, and gets on base more often than Uribe. If this team didn't have enough power, than Uribe would be the better choice of the two. As is, I'll let Uribe and his .261 OBP stay on the bench.

Cintron hits for decent average, hits in the clutch, and hits bad pitches. That's all I really ask for from my #9 hitter, not many #9 hitters are worth a crap anyways.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 7, 2006 -> 01:41 PM)
Cintron hits for decent average, hits in the clutch, and hits bad pitches. That's all I really ask for from my #9 hitter, not many #9 hitters are worth a crap anyways.

I like the idea of Pods down the lineup against some RHP though. He seems to like the RBI and adds a different aspect to the lineup. BA should be in CF though and Sweeney was great in the OF and looks good in the #1 spot. I liked the dynamic of the lineup last night, and I think Thome looks good hitting 4th.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 7, 2006 -> 01:46 PM)
An Outfield of Sweeney, Anderson, Dye would imediately improve the starting pitching which should be the #1 goal of management. That sort of OF defense will save more runs than you can imagine.

Indeed. And it would also improve the offense, as Sweeney could piss on his bat instead of swing it and he's an improvement over Pods at the dish right now.

Sweeney over Pods? Certainly the defense would be better, but it is a little early to know whether Sweeney wouldn't start with a stretch of .200 hitting and not much power.

Cintron over Uribe? Sure, in certain circumstances. But Cintron can't hit a good fastball, has no power, and doesn't walk any more often than Uribe.

Ozzie said the other day that the guys who hit the best are going to be in the lineup. Well, in that case, Ozuna ought to hit against lefties, and Ross Gload or Rob Mackowiak ought to hit against right handers as the new platoon in LF. (I like Gload a little more, since he doesn't have to be removed if a lefty reliever comes into the game, while Mack is an automatic out against lefties this year. Plus, Gload never K's. But Mack's LF defense would be better, so flip a coin.)

Sweeney, to my way of thinking, ought to be the new left handed platoon player with Brian Anderson in CF. I doubt he can be relied on to hit righties better than Gload and Mack right now.

Iguchi should hit lead off, with Ozuna/Gload #2, since neither of them strike out much and both can bunt.

I would also drop Thome to #5, and flip Crede and AJ.

So, my lineup would be:

Iguchi 2B

Gload (Mack)/Ozuna LF

Dye RF

Konerko 1B

Thome DH

Crede 3B

AJ C

Sweeney/Anderson CF

Cintron/Uribe SS

I would pretty much platoon the guys with slashes b/w the names, including in-game platoons if the other team switches up relievers. This lineup would still be vulnerable to lefties, unless Juan Uribe can find his September form!

QUOTE(VAfan @ Sep 7, 2006 -> 02:47 PM)
Sweeney over Pods? Certainly the defense would be better, but it is a little early to know whether Sweeney wouldn't start with a stretch of .200 hitting and not much power.

Cintron over Uribe? Sure, in certain circumstances. But Cintron can't hit a good fastball, has no power, and doesn't walk any more often than Uribe.

Ozzie said the other day that the guys who hit the best are going to be in the lineup. Well, in that case, Ozuna ought to hit against lefties, and Ross Gload or Rob Mackowiak ought to hit against right handers as the new platoon in LF. (I like Gload a little more, since he doesn't have to be removed if a lefty reliever comes into the game, while Mack is an automatic out against lefties this year. Plus, Gload never K's. But Mack's LF defense would be better, so flip a coin.)

Sweeney, to my way of thinking, ought to be the new left handed platoon player with Brian Anderson in CF. I doubt he can be relied on to hit righties better than Gload and Mack right now.

Iguchi should hit lead off, with Ozuna/Gload #2, since neither of them strike out much and both can bunt.

I would also drop Thome to #5, and flip Crede and AJ.

So, my lineup would be:

Iguchi 2B

Gload (Mack)/Ozuna LF

Dye RF

Konerko 1B

Thome DH

Crede 3B

AJ C

Sweeney/Anderson CF

Cintron/Uribe SS

I would pretty much platoon the guys with slashes b/w the names, including in-game platoons if the other team switches up relievers. This lineup would still be vulnerable to lefties, unless Juan Uribe can find his September form!

Wow...I understand the Sox main goal is to get to the post-season, but that's a bit much this late in the season. I don't like taking Pods out more than just a platoon situation because Sweeney can't be on the post-season roster. If they would've brought him up in August...I would agree, but not now. Pods IS going to be your starting LF in the post-season. But, they should still continue to platoon him with Ozuna.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 7, 2006 -> 01:41 PM)

Yea, and then you ask for stellar defense...which Alex Cintron doesn't have.

I get the feeling Sweeney could stay in the lineup for good. Too bad we can't have him for the post-season, if we make it that is. That's why we can't get rid of Podsednik right now. I like Sweeney's approach at the plate, and since the kids have been called up the club seems to have a little more spark. The youngsters, with all their exuberance and energetic ignorance get the veterans to remember how they felt about this game when they were young also. They play with passion and recklessness. Their love for the game is pure and innocent, for a while at least, until the reality of the BUSINESS of baseball becomes the focus.

I think the Sox need to take advantage of something they've had all year and something that's very good: their bench.

You hear a lot about needing a set lineup and not changing it and this and that, but I think makes sense if you have guys who are fringe starters that need regular playing time. With guys like Ozuna, Cintron, Mackowiak and Gload, they've proven this year (and in years past for some) that they can play a couple times a week and still produce.

Because of that, you don't HAVE to have Sweeney in left everyday, or Anderson in center everyday. This wouldn't be the most popular idea, but just go with it and play guys as you go. For example, with this series against the Indians, where I believe the Sox face two lefties in Lee and Sabathia:

Thursday lineup vs Lee:

LF - Ozuna

2B - Iguchi

RF - Dye

DH - Thome

1B - Konerko

3B - Crede

C - Alomar

CF - Anderson

SS - Uribe

Friday lineup vs Byrd:

CF - Sweeney

2B - Iguchi

RF - Dye

DH - Thome

1B - Konerko

C - Pierzynski

3B - Crede

LF - Mackowiak

SS - Uribe/Cintron

Saturday lineup vs Carmona:

LF - Sweeney

2B - Iguchi

RF - Dye

DH - Thome

1B - Konerko

C - Pierzynski

3B - Crede

SS - Uribe/Cintron

CF - Anderson

Sunday lineup vs Sabathia:

LF - Ozuna

2B - Iguchi

RF - Dye

DH - Thome

1B - Konerko

C - Pierzynski

3B - Crede

CF - Sweeney/Anderson

SS - Uribe

It wouldn't have to be this, but what you would essentially be doing is keeping the heart the lineup out there and just mixing in the other guys (Uribe, Cintron, Mackowiak, Anderson, Sweeney, Ozuna, Podsednik, Gload). Not sure I would like to see Sweeney all of sudden get more PT than an Anderson, but he looks like he can play both LF and CF and if produces, then you gotta go with him. And with the rest of them, it's hard to justify starting two over the others, aside from Podsednik, who has been rather bad.

You need Uribe's glove, as you do with Anderson, but Cintron and Mackowiak (in left) adds offense. Ozuna is their best leadoff option right now. And Gload ... he's the best hitter of the bunch.

Once again, these lineups don't have to be THE lineups, but it's just the general idea of getting everyone involved and not having to worry about guys getting out of rythm because they are all pretty used it.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Sep 7, 2006 -> 03:11 PM)
I love your Saturday lineup Mario. I feel we'd be best suited with the OF of Sweeney, Anderson, and Dye down the stretch. However, that won't be what's put out there the most of the time.

^^^^^^^^

Mario, You have been missed.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Sep 7, 2006 -> 03:11 PM)
I love your Saturday lineup Mario. I feel we'd be best suited with the OF of Sweeney, Anderson, and Dye down the stretch. However, that won't be what's put out there the most of the time.

And it shouldn't be.

Here is the question: does Ryan Sweeney deserve to be in left field more than Rob Mackowiak, Pablo Ozuna or Ross Gload?

You can maybe say so for Gload since it'll be risky throwing his glove in the outfield this late, as he's going to have some rough games until he gets situated. But can you honestly say he deserves it, or is more suited, than Ozuna and Mackowiak? Both have hit over .300 all year. Ozuna has been the Sox's best leadoff hitter and main sparkplug and Mackowiak, with all the frustration that goes into him playing centerfield, is a proven hitter who is more than capable of handling left field, especially after roaming a tougher spot in center all year.

If Guillen announced today that Sweeney was the starting LF for the rest of the year, that would be pretty dumb. If Sweeney performs, great, but at this time, you can't simply overlook the job the bench players have done all year, so if you're going to take the job from Podsednik, which they should, and give it to ONE person, which they shouldn't do, it should at least go to Ozuna or Mackowiak.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Sep 7, 2006 -> 03:12 PM)
^^^^^^^^

Mario, You have been missed.

I think I've made like 6-7 posts over the past week or so, which probably tops what I had the previous two years combined. Always lurking and observing, never posting.