Liriano is back

whitesoxin'

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 02:27 AM)
...and HE GAWN again...

IMO a very classless move on the part of the Twins... putting a kids career on the line in a attempt to make the playoffs... Nothing is worth making an injury like this worse... Not on a young stud like this... Isn't this how Mark Prior got started?

I read today in the Sun-Times where Thornton said that even though you might feel good rehabbing and doing all the things to get ready to come back, you never really know if you're back until you actually pitch for real again.

I'm sure Liriano wanted to come back as much as the Twins wanted him back, and I highly doubt that the team doctors would clear him if he didn't appear ready to return. They recognize his potential, and I don't think they'd risk his future for a few September (and postseason) starts.

...but I guess we can't 100% assume that....I hope they didn't, anyway....

He had a good minor-league start on his way back, and I didn't read anything saying he was hurting afterwards.

I think this is just a bad break for a good pitcher, and I wish him the best as he recovers.

Thornton also said he gained 5 mph of velocity on his fastball post-surgery - can you imagine if Liriano gains 5 mph on HIS?

I don't think he needed to feel pain to see this coming. He has a wild delivery and snaps his elbow. The Twins could have sat him the rest of the season and brought him back next year and this would've happened. Maybe not three innings in, but this injury was going to happen. It was just a matter of time, which is what more people are starting to say.

It's why I really was confused with all the attention people were giving to his comeback. This shouldn't have come as a surprise to anyone the first time it happened.

Where the Twins screwed up is not noticing his delivery. Then again, doesn't look like many did.

QUOTE(Molto @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 05:19 AM)
Where the Twins screwed up is not noticing his delivery. Then again, doesn't look like many did.

I think a lot of people actually noticed his delivery. I find it pretty hard to believe that the only people who notice that he has a really wild delivery are posting at a White Sox message board.

I'd say it's probably more likely that the Twins have tried to get him to make some changes as he came up through the minors, but didn't want to do too much to risk making him not as good of a pitcher, a-la Kerry Wood.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 07:01 AM)
Thornton also said he gained 5 mph of velocity on his fastball post-surgery - can you imagine if Liriano gains 5 mph on HIS?

When did he say that? In college he was throwing gas, he actually told a kid he could kill him with his fastball if he wanted.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 10:47 AM)
I think a lot of people actually noticed his delivery. I find it pretty hard to believe that the only people who notice that he has a really wild delivery are posting at a White Sox message board.

I'd say it's probably more likely that the Twins have tried to get him to make some changes as he came up through the minors, but didn't want to do too much to risk making him not as good of a pitcher, a-la Kerry Wood.

That and to be honest they probably don't really want to change his dilivery because his slider might not be nearly as good after that.

Here's the link

Minnesota Twins fans can relax a little bit for the moment. Francisco Liriano's MRI shows no new structural damage to his left elbow, two sources told the Minneapolis Star Tribune.

Liriano's MRI results were very similar to the results from early August, which showed a mild tear of his ulnar collateral ligament, the paper reported.

Liriano, 22, could still be headed for a second opinion.

CLEVELAND -- Francisco Liriano does not have structural or ligament damage to his left arm, according to an MRI scan done on Minnesota's standout rookie pitcher.

In a news release Thursday, the Twins called the test results "favorable" and said Liriano, 12-3 with a 2.16 ERA, has begun a rehabilitation program with a goal of being ready for the start of the 2007 season.

After missing a month because of the injury, a strained ligament near his elbow, Liriano pitched two scoreless innings in Wednesday's 1-0 loss to Oakland before feeling a pop on a pitch in the third. He left the game and won't pitch again this year, a tough break for the Twins in a three-team race for the AL Central title and wild-card spot.

"This guy has a bright future," center fielder Torii Hunter said. "Maybe we just need to let him heal for the offseason and have him back for spring training. ... Hopefully he can get it taken care of and come back next year or the year after next."

Minnesota was in Cleveland Thursday night to start a four-game series.