Gload in left?

Pete7784

Why hasn't anybody given any thought to Gload in left field next season? Everyone wants pods gone, great, he should be gone. But all I keep hearing about is Ryan Sweeney and Carl Crawford pipe dreams. Is there really any doubt that Gload is the 5th best hitter in the organization right now? Take the big 4 guys and he's the best of the rest. Look at his numbers in '04 when he got a chance to play. Look at his numbers now. Anybody really think he wouldnt hit at least .310 with 20 homers? Sure, you'll say that he can't play D in left, well neither can pods, who we won a title with out there, and i have no reason to believe that he wouldnt be average. If we can get a leadoff in center or at short, then i'm sold on gload. maybe Sweeney will be a hitter someday, but right now hes not. no way he gives us a better chance to win playing every day than Gload.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Pete7784 @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 01:43 PM)
Why hasn't anybody given any thought to Gload in left field next season? Everyone wants pods gone, great, he should be gone. But all I keep hearing about is Ryan Sweeney and Carl Crawford pipe dreams. Is there really any doubt that Gload is the 5th best hitter in the organization right now? Take the big 4 guys and he's the best of the rest. Look at his numbers in '04 when he got a chance to play. Look at his numbers now. Anybody really think he wouldnt hit at least .310 with 20 homers? Sure, you'll say that he can't play D in left, well neither can pods, who we won a title with out there, and i have no reason to believe that he wouldnt be average. If we can get a leadoff in center or at short, then i'm sold on gload. maybe Sweeney will be a hitter someday, but right now hes not. no way he gives us a better chance to win playing every day than Gload.

Ross, is that you?

Look. I'm as big a Gload fan as there is on this site. Well, except maybe for Gload is God.

Bottom line, despite Gload's hitting skills, excellent glove at 1B, speed, hustle and cheap salary, the guy is not that good at defense in the outfield. His arm is mediocre, and he has trouble reading fly balls.

Can he maybe LEARN to be better out there, perhaps in winter ball? Maybe. Pablo has certainly improved out there over the course of this year, but even he still has major issues. But to convert him would take a lot of time, and may or may not work out.

So, no. Sweeney maybe, or Owens in a couple years, or even Pablo are better fits within the organization.

Gload needs a chance to start at 1B somewhere, like a KC or TB type club. He would probably flourish.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 02:09 PM)
Going along with what NSS just said, Gload played the majority of 05 with AAA, and was back with the organization is 06, now behind Konerko and Thome at 1b.

If Gload was a good as some make him out, wouldnt he be on another club? Gload is not vital to this team, at all. Earlier in the year he saw the plate maybe 4 times in 3 weeks.

If he is capable of starting in LF for the White Sox next season, dont you think some other clubs would have jumped a little sooner to try and grab him off the AAA roster last year, or off the bench this year? Im pretty sure Kenny doesnt list Gload as an "untouchable...."

Expanding on that thought... Gload is 30 years old. Its not like we are talking about a kid here. He has been a minor league free agent multiple times. If he was anything more than a bench player, we would have never gotten him on a minor league contract invite to begin with. Ross is a great bench player, a solid pinchhitter, and an OK defensive first baseman. A starter, he ain't.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 02:09 PM)
Going along with what NSS just said, Gload played the majority of 05 with AAA, and was back with the organization is 06, now behind Konerko and Thome at 1b.

If Gload was a good as some make him out, wouldnt he be on another club? Gload is no vital to this team, at all. Earlier in the year he saw the plate maybe 4 times in 3 weeks.

If he is capable of starting in LF for the White Sox next season, dont you think some other clubs would have jumped a little sooner to try and grab him off the AAA roster last year, or off the bench this year? Im pretty sure Kenny doesnt list Gload as an "untouchable...."

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 02:19 PM)
Expanding on that thought... Gload is 30 years old. Its not like we are talking about a kid here. He has been a minor league free agent multiple times. If he was anything more than a bench player, we would have never gotten him on a minor league contract invite to begin with. Ross is a great bench player, a solid pinchhitter, and an OK defensive first baseman. A starter, he ain't.

I'm going to respectfully disagree with both of you guys. I honestly believe Ross could be a starter if given a chance on a lot of teams, the Sox aren't one of them however. Ross can hit and he can run, problem is he's behind Paul Konerko and Jim Thome and he's not a good enough outfielder to start in the outfield(I don't want another pods in lf next season).

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 02:24 PM)
Then why hasnt he been moved? Its pretty obvious the organization is not very high on him.

I like Gload alot. He has come up big when given the shot, and is great to have off the bench late in the game.

But he might be in the worst possible situation he could be in, with Konerko and Thome on the same team. If he has as much value as you say he does, there is no reason to think another GM wouldn't try to go and get Gload.

Well that's been the million dollar question since we've had Ross, how come he's never had a shot anywhere in the majors. To be honest, I really don't know the answer. Maybe it's because some gm's are under the impression that he's a career bench player because well, he's been a career bench player thus far. Maybe it's the fact that gm's don't want a 1b who doesn't have a ton of power. Like I said, I really don't have the answer but imo Ross can be an everday player if given a shot.

Ross Gload is like many a QB in the NFL who were good backups, got a little older, and were never considered starting options for those reasons. But sometimes, after years on the bench, they get a few chances to start, and show that they are pretty darn good - even though they are no longer young guns.

Ross, if given a chance, could be an MLB starting caliber 1B. Full season, he is capable of .300+ with 15-20 HR, solid D, and maybe 10-20 SB. But he's not a power guy, so its hard to get noticed at 1B.

Honestly, I think his ceiling is Wally Joyner.

Edited by NorthSideSox72

With time, I think Gload can turn into a solid defensive left fielder, which is all he would need to be considering the bat he'll bring and the small salary he'll be earning.

He hasn't really gotten a fair shot in the OF. He's played a few games and has looked bad on a couple plays ... that's not enough to really judge someone, especially at a position that they haven't really put time into.

Right now, I could care less about how good or bad he is defensively in LF, because for starters, he can't be worse defensively than Pods, and he'd be a hell of a lot better offensively.

Not sure why Ozzie hasn't even tried it though. That's what bugs me so much - Ozzie has not even TRIED someone else in Pods place. It's almost like he's ignorant to the fact that Podsednik has blown in the second half.

Is he just average, at best, in LF? yes. is he 30? yes. The question is this: for the 2007 team, does he give us a better chance to win playing every day in left than anybody else in the organization right now? sweeney should be better someday, maybe owens can bring more to the table someday, but right now hes the 2nd best lefty hitter in the organization, and hes the best option. i want to win games, i'll worry about 2008 and beyond when the time comes.

Uh, I don't know why other organizations didn't take him, but rumor has it that a few were interested, including LANL.

I will say this: wherever the idea that the organization isn't high on Gload comes from, it's probably false. Rumor has it he's in Ozzie's doghouse (or used to be), but I'm not sure I believe that. I do know, however, that Kenny always has praise for Gload, and the clubhouse enjoys his presence, by all accounts.

The real question we should be asking is why he isn't playing vs righties more often in LF? What has Podsednik done do even warrant being a platoon partner at this point?

Since his poor start to the season (a bad April and May), Ross has been awesome. Post All-Star break, he's hitting .352 with a .402 OBP. At this point, what are we waiting for with Scotty boy? It's not like he's coming around at all.

I didn't realize just how bad Pods has been these past two months. He's following up an August, where he put up a .284 OBP, with an even worse .273 OBP in September.

So, let's see. He's not coming around, so to speak, there's arguably three-five better options off the bench, and we continually send this pud out there?

If you want to know why our offense has struggled in the second half, look no further than the fact that the guy who gets the most PAs in a season has the second worst OBP on the team since August. Luckily Tadahito has picked it up a little bit, or our top of the order might just qualify as the worst in the league.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 04:20 PM)
Luckily Tadahito has picked it up a little bit, or our top of the order might just qualify as the worst in the league.

I think you are seeing the offense start to come around a little bit because Tadahito is playing a little better. Podsednik got on at that .280 bullschlitz clip, along with Tada getting on at a .310 clip.

Those two were by and large why the offense was dead in August, and why everyone hates Jim Thome.

I think Gload was in Hawk's doghouse more than he was in Ozzie's doghouse. Perhaps this is my selective memory, but it seemed like whenever Gload did something well, DJ would be the only one to say something about it.

Now that Gload's become a valuable bench player and Ozzie's singing his praises, Hawk's come around. Before? I'm not so sure.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 02:19 PM)

That is the stupidest comment I ever heard. Gload could start on many mlb teams. He would be a lot further along if it hadn't been for that shoulder injury. Great bench player if we didn't get Thome he would be our starting first baseman. He has more range than KOnerko and can play a more than adequate first base. Gload is just what we need and the fact that you mentinoned that he's 30 years old puzzles me is he a worthless part of this team because he's 30? The white sox I believe are better off with ross in the line up because he doesn't swing for the fences and just does what he has to do. Be it a home run or a bunt, or base hit.. He's as reliable as any player on the team. This 30 year old thing I don't understand he can play and the sox are more dynamic with him in the line up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because Gload doesn't have speed, he's never going to see any part of a LF rotation. That's the only thing that really keeps Pods in the lineup I would say.

Plus his defensive ability ain't good out there, which is why you see the likes of Sweeney getting a game in the OF before him now.

QUOTE(MHizzle85 @ Sep 14, 2006 -> 10:31 PM)
As stupid as this sounds and is probably fueled by my Gload/Ozuna man love...how would a Ozuna/Gload/perhaps Sweeney platoon in left sound?

i'm not sayin...i'm just sayin... :huh

For the rest of the year, if the Sox were to go with Gload/Ozuna in LF, I would pretend I was Ozzie's son and we just won it all.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 15, 2006 -> 12:50 AM)
Because Gload doesn't have speed, he's never going to see any part of a LF rotation. That's the only thing that really keeps Pods in the lineup I would say.

Plus his defensive ability ain't good out there, which is why you see the likes of Sweeney getting a game in the OF before him now.

DBAH0, come on man...Pods is horrible out there too. The upgrade Gload would provide offensively would be worth any loss on defense.