White Sox are Done

korntownballa

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 04:59 PM)
Got more upside than Vazquez my ass. The only thing he has on Vazquez is age.

Vazquez has experience and he's got hella ridiculous stuff.

McCarthy's gonna be good, but his stuff does not even compare to Vazquez's.

You know, I'm really not sure about that. McCarthy's best fastball is about as good as Vazquez's current best fastball. It doesn't move as much as Vazquez, but they're in the same velocity range. McCarthy's curve ball is much sharper than Vaz's currently is. And if it's on, McCarthy's changeup can be absolutely unhittable. Vazquez has the advantage in how his fastball moves/sinks/cuts compared to how straight BMac's is, but McCarthy's other pitches are better than the ones Vaz thows up there IMO. If BMac can throw up slightly better control, and get a working sinkerball (Which his frame is perfect for), then I think BMac will have him beat by quite a bit.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 06:29 PM)
I don't think he's the idiot. Thomas got off to a slow start, and was injured for some time. We'd be out of it, if Thome didn't do what he did in April and May

In the last two months, Thomas has done what Thome did in April and May. They would have balanced out.

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 11:26 PM)
I have to agree w/ an article Mariotti wrote a while back when we had Soriano for McCarthy. Ken Williams said the goal was to win this year. And if McCarthy is so valuable, WHY ISN'T HE IN THE ROTATION!!!?? Join my group!!

Hasn't the rotation done its job in Sept, the time its counted the most?

And trading a big piece of the future for a 2 month rental in Soriano would have been horrible.

QUOTE(korntownballa @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 11:28 PM)
i wish we had frank thomas for this year and the future... just imagine him hitting his 500th in sox uni... KW is dumb

Thomas couldn't be counted on to be healthy after the last few yrs. Beane may look brilliant as every other GM took a pass on Frank. KW is as dumb as every other GM in baseball. But Frank's 500k base salary was given for a reason. KW sticks with Frank, he gets hurt, and everyone would say the sox were cheap. Hindsight is 20/20.

Thomas isn't the reason the sox are in the situation they are in

QUOTE(beck72 @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 07:28 PM)
Thomas couldn't be counted on to be healthy after the last few yrs. Beane may look brilliant as every other GM took a pass on Frank. KW is as dumb as every other GM in baseball. But Frank's 500k base salary was given for a reason. KW sticks with Frank, he gets hurt, and everyone would say the sox were cheap. Hindsight is 20/20.

Thomas isn't the reason the sox are in the situation they are in

That is right, we needed someone who's health was unquestionable. That is why we got Jim Thome.

Hasn't the rotation done its job in Sept, the time its counted the most?

And trading a big piece of the future for a 2 month rental in Soriano would have been horrible.

Yeah, when they should have done this about 2 months ago. I thought the plan was to win in 2006, that you can't win 2008 in 2006, as he said. And Mariotti did bring up a good point, if he is so valueable, why isn't he in the rotation??

That is right, we needed someone who's health was unquestionable. That is why we got Jim Thome.

Uh, hello, Thome was also injured last year

Today was more of a concerted effort to totally ruin my day above anything else. I wouldn't read too much into it. If I had a pet goldfish, I'd expect him to jump out of his bowl to his death yet tonite, but since I don't have a goldfish, I'm just expecting the Twins and Tigers to win.

It really is over. They're still playing at the same level they've been playing at since the end of June. They're just not going to put it together. They simply won't make the playoffs.

Agreed. and for those who talk about "intensity" it's not that they dont' have that. what this team lacks is a "SENSE OF URGENCY" are the sox a good team...YES. if they put it all together could they win it all...YES. have they shown they can do it...NO

QUOTE(Frankensteiner @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 06:20 PM)
I can't take these pessimistic posts anymore. What's wrong with you? ARE YOU IN OR OUT!!!!??

It's just time to be honest about the fact that the Sox have been an average baseball team for almost three months. We have a slightly above average lineup that is extremely strong in the middle and terrible at the ends. We have tens of millions of dollars in starting pitching that has suddenly come around as a unit for the first time in over two months, and we have a bullpen that is simply minor league. EVERY SINGLE THING THAT HAPPENS BEFORE THE 7TH INNING IN ONE OF OUR GAMES IS COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT because we WAAYYYYY to often are giving up 2-4 runs in the last three innings. NO ONE can make the playoffs with this situation, NO ONE. I like Jenks but he is NOT dominant, he routinely gives up a few hits, gets hit hard, and gets out of a jam with a double play or groundball, but Mariano Rivera he is not, don't quote me his save stats because all of you know exactly what I'm talking about.

The one thing MN and DET have in common that we do not is the ability to bring in the same reliable cast of 2-3 guys night after night to close a game out!!!! I think Ozzie mismanages in a big way, eg the way he gave Thornton the hook immediately only to leave McDougal in well pas the point the game was over, but I also cannot tell him who to bring in that he can count on week after week, so it's a combination of him and them.

This whole thing is eating me alive like everyone else, but today I decided that facts are facts and this team is OUT exactly because of what we saw today: a one run lead in the 7th blown totally out of reach by a combination of the manager and relief pitchers making POOR decisions: McDougal trying to get the best walk-drawing batter in baseball to chase outside with bases loaded and a full count, and the manager leaving him in past his capability!!!!!!!

This is not being a bad fan, it's facing facts, in spite of the fact that the situation is killing me....

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Sep 17, 2006 -> 12:40 AM)
Yeah, when they should have done this about 2 months ago. I thought the plan was to win in 2006, that you can't win 2008 in 2006, as he said. And Mariotti did bring up a good point, if he is so valueable, why isn't he in the rotation??

BMac is valuable because he could be part of the sox rotation for yrs to come, is young and cheap, whereas the rest of the rotation all make nearly $10 mill each. It's not all about 2006. But '07, '08, '09, 2010, etc.

QUOTE(caffeinated @ Sep 17, 2006 -> 12:35 AM)

Thome had an elbow injury that wasn't and hasn't been an issue this yr. Check out how many games Thome missed the last five yrs compared to Frank then come back with a witty response.

With the cash Philly threw in, Thome is worth his salary and the talent it cost to acquire him.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 07:19 PM)
You know, I'm really not sure about that. McCarthy's best fastball is about as good as Vazquez's current best fastball. It doesn't move as much as Vazquez, but they're in the same velocity range. McCarthy's curve ball is much sharper than Vaz's currently is. And if it's on, McCarthy's changeup can be absolutely unhittable. Vazquez has the advantage in how his fastball moves/sinks/cuts compared to how straight BMac's is, but McCarthy's other pitches are better than the ones Vaz thows up there IMO. If BMac can throw up slightly better control, and get a working sinkerball (Which his frame is perfect for), then I think BMac will have him beat by quite a bit.

:bang

First, Vazquez' 4 seamer has a ton more movement. BMac's fastball is as straight as an arrow. Secondly, not only does Vaz have more bite on his curveball, he changes speed with it as well. Next, BMac's change is completely reliant on his motion. The pitch has no real action. Lastly, Vaz also throws a good slider, 2 seamer and splitter. BMac has decent stuff, but Vazquez pure stuff is on a whole different level.

Let's have a look at why we've faltered this month.

So far we're 6-9 this month. We've faced KC, Bos, Cle, LAA and the A's.

We've scored 64 runs in those 15 games (average of 4.267). In only 4 of those games though have we scored more than 6 runs.

We've conceeded 67 runs in those 15 games. In only 4 of those games have we conceeded less than 3 runs.

As a team we average 5.51 runs a game (before today I assume, stats taken from HardballTimes). So we've average 1.25 less runs this month.

Put simply the offense hasn't gotten the job done this month. Let's look at the hitters splits for this month (albeit it's a very small sample size);

Podsednik - .250/.270/.250

Iguchi - .362/.474/.511

Dye - .260/.321/.500

Thome - .227/.386/.455

Konerko - .367/.441/.612

Pierzynski - .233/.250/.349 (Post ASB OPS of .674)

Crede - .268/.318/.390

Mackowiak - .222/.250/.389

Uribe - .163/.163/.349

So I'm counting Pods, Thome, Pierzynski, Mack and Uribe as 4 hitters who aren't doing good, while we've come to expect better from Dye and Crede as well.

Pierzynski is an interesting one. A lot of people are talking about replacing Uribe and Thome etc. but I didn't realize his hitting has been as bad as it has. The hard thing though is find a better replacement for him, because it's real hard to find a good catcher.

This team has played uninspired baseball for the second half of the season. We have an inconsistent bullpen and a high and low starting staff. Jim Thome has hit nine homers (count them 9) in the second half and Frank Thomas has hit nine in September alone. But, It ain't over till it's over. I am still going to stick with our chances to win at least the wild card till the bitter end.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Sep 17, 2006 -> 03:31 AM)
Your standards are quite low.

Dye is an excellent outfielder. Why are you so down on Jermaine Dye? I think the guy is our MVP this year for sure.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 10:38 PM)
Dye is an excellent outfielder. Why are you so down on Jermaine Dye? I think the guy is our MVP this year for sure.

He is an excellent hitter. His defense isn't as good as some are making it out to be. His range is not very good and he is slow.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Sep 16, 2006 -> 10:43 PM)
He is an excellent hitter. His defense isn't as good as some are making it out to be. His range is not very good and he is slow.

Yea, I agree. He still has a very good arm, but he's not the defensive player he was years ago.