Garland ready for "Whatever"

DBAHO

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Sep 23, 2006 -> 12:58 AM)
then he'd be wrong. a 3.77 era and a 1.40 whip in the NL would equal death in the AL...

Well you look at a guy like Javier Vazquez who came over from the NL in 2005;

2005 - 4.42 ERA, 1.25 WHIP

2006 - 4.66 ERA, 1.29 WHIP (Post ASB 4.14 ERA, 1.21 WHIP)

The increase hasn't been huge at all there, and Vaz has shown in the 2nd half what he's capable of.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 01:28 PM)
If I traded a starter it would Garcia (whose value has shot up recently,) then Contreras, then Vazquez, then Buehrle and finally Jon. Jon is the last guy I would trade, he was out best pitcher for the last two seasons.

Why would you trade any of our starting pitchers to get another starting pitcher? We have 5 good arms and I think we wouls be wrong to consider trades. I would be more in favor of using B Mac as trade bait. If a Mark Buerhle went for a Dontrelle Willis at least we are getting a hard throwing lefty, but losing a team leader with tons of talent. We are too quick to want to dismantle a pitching staff that was dominant in 2005 and still shows at times they are really, really good. Next year I think they will be there again.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 03:03 PM)
Well you look at a guy like Javier Vazquez who came over from the NL in 2005;

2005 - 4.42 ERA, 1.25 WHIP

2006 - 4.66 ERA, 1.29 WHIP (Post ASB 4.14 ERA, 1.21 WHIP)

The increase hasn't been huge at all there, and Vaz has shown in the 2nd half what he's capable of.

Vazquez had done very well and has stuff so good he is gwtting double digit K's often. I think he had turned the corner. I have posted before that I think we ar wrong to look at breaking up our starting pitching.

I couldnt imagine the Marlins would want any part of that. Willis will also probably stay in the national league if he does move to utilize his bat in the lineup. Willis is the only selling any tickets to Marlins games. i wouldnt think they would trade him easily but who knows with those guys.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 08:28 AM)
If I traded a starter it would Garcia (whose value has shot up recently,) then Contreras, then Vazquez, then Buehrle and finally Jon. Jon is the last guy I would trade, he was out best pitcher for the last two seasons.

Thats basicly my ranking of the order of SP to be delt, :cheers great minds think alike.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 01:17 PM)
Garland and McCarthy and Fields for Willis and Cabrera. Move Cabrera to LF. But since this wont happen forget it. Garland is our best pitcher. There is a reason KW signed him to that nice contract.

thats crazy talk! :bang

Willis might be moved this offseason, if he is it will be for a pretty big package( a young CFer, catching prospect and of course more pitching, even though the marlins have tons of pitching).

Miggy isn't going anywhere, he will comand a Pujols like contract(7 years/$100M) if not more.

Lastly the marlins want young cheap talented players, Garland fits 2 of those but not the cheap part, and i think if KW has held onto McCarthy this far he won't be moved esp after a bad year in the BP.

Garland and McCarthy and Fields for Willis and Cabrera

Insane.

A whole thread on Garland and not one critical comment.

Finally.

Everybody it seems agrees he's good.

I am thinking we are going to be sorely disappointed in Brandon next year.

Hope not.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 09:20 AM)
A 3rd team could be involved in the deal, or the Marlins could just then on trade Garland to another team for prospects.

Either way, if Willis and Cabrera are going to be moved, Beinfest will want to get the best deal possible in terms of prospects, so he may have to get creative.

He'd have to get creative because I don't see anyway he'd take on the salary, even for a 1/2 season.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 08:51 AM)
NO, NO, NO!

There is no reason at all to trade Garland. The starter we need to move before anybody is Vazquez. I just love how he decides to show up after we're basically out of it. Get rid of his ass. That goes for Garcia too. Another one who didn't show up until we had knocked ourselves out of the hunt.

What about Contreras? Why did he suck complete ass in June and August? Garcia has had 2 good starts in a row, but didnt do jacks*** in June, July, and August. Buehrle's been horrible the entire second half.

Atleast Vazquez did his part in trying to help get the Sox on the right track...he's been pitching his ass off since August. It's not his fault the White Sox can't do anything offensively when he's on the mound.

If there is one starter that should NOT be dealt, it is Vazquez. He didn't pitch well in June and July, guess what, neither did Contreras last year, and he's a savior around here. Had the other starting pitchers done their part this year down the stretch, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

You trade Garcia or Contreras. Buehrle's done too much for the White Sox organization to give up on him after one year, Garland's been awesome since his horrendous start, and Vazquez has actually showed a pair down the stretch.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 01:06 PM)
What about Contreras? Why did he suck complete ass in June and August? Garcia has had 2 good starts in a row, but didnt do jacks*** in June, July, and August. Buehrle's been horrible the entire second half.

Atleast Vazquez did his part in trying to help get the Sox on the right track...he's been pitching his ass off since August. It's not his fault the White Sox can't do anything offensively when he's on the mound.

If there is one starter that should NOT be dealt, it is Vazquez. He didn't pitch well in June and July, guess what, neither did Contreras last year, and he's a savior around here. Had the other starting pitchers done their part this year down the stretch, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

You trade Garcia or Contreras. Buehrle's done too much for the White Sox organization to give up on him after one year, Garland's been awesome since his horrendous start, and Vazquez has actually showed a pair down the stretch.

I fundamentally disagree. I think your entire goal this offseason is to get the best deal possible for the team long-term. First and foremost, getting the best deal means that you can't lose Mark Buehrle or Freddy Garcia, Buehrle more importantly, for nothing at the end of 2007. So you have to extend or trade Buehrle. That is step 1.

But step 2...you have to take the best deal. If someone offers me a potentially dominant player for Vazquez or a medium level player for Garcia...it does not matter to me who performed better at any point this year, you take the best talent you can get.

Very few teams have the luxury of trading away a veteran starter for anything they want to get. We do. So we may as well push that as far as it can go. Someone will give up a lot for pitching. There are teams that have needed to do exactly that for years...now we're a player in that field. Take whatever deal gives you the most back at the least cost to yourself.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 08:55 AM)
If we are going to dump a starter, make it Buehrle. He's only ours through 2007, is a lefty with trade value, and has terrible stuff. At least Vaz has shown some signs, and Freddy has shown he can get people out lately.

Signs. Hahaha. Hahahahahaha. Hahahahahahaha. Are you talking about when he was with the Expos in 2003?

Previous to this, Buehrle's worst season was a 4.14 ERA. He's a good pitcher feeling the effects of an extended season, shortened off-season...just as (aside from Vazquez (!!!)) the other starters are.

If you trade Buehrle, you're out the only lefty starter on the team and your out a guy that has posted very, very good numbers since getting the call in 2000. Not only that you're out a borderline ace.

Do you really want to see BOTH Vazquez and Garcia on the team next year? They were sick to watch this year...ESPECIALLY Vazquez who we all know is healthy.

Kill me if I see a rotation of:

Garland

Contreras

Vazquez

Garcia

McCarthy

Kill me. Just please f***ing kill me.

Edited by BobDylan

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 08:58 AM)
then he'd be wrong. a 3.77 era and a 1.40 whip in the NL would equal death in the AL...

What a complete and accurate analysis you've provided us with. Have you at all considered Willis' prior stats against the American League? Or the fact that a pitcher with a delivery as decieving as his can torment a group of hitters who have rarely if ever seen it for sometimes more than an entire season?

Willis clearly is dominant against left-handed batters. In the AL Central, three out of our four opponents most dominant offensive threats are left-handed batters. Cleveland with Hafner and Sizemore, Minnesota with Mauer and Morneau, KC with Teahen and Dejesus (Alex Gordon bats left-handed too by the way). I suppose the Tigers could give him some troubles, but you could schedule him around them as well as possible.

You cannot just lower a pitcher's stats from the NL by a certain percentage and claim that's what they will look like should he switch over to the American Leauge. There are so many factors to take into consideration. Maybe some would say his NL numbers are even more inflated by pitching in the deep NL East parks. I'd bet against that somewhat due to his high career G/F ratios. I think Willis would not only survive the AL but probably excel for a couple seasons, especially in the AL Central. I really don't see the pieces matching up though for a trade to bring him here next season.

Edited by 3E8

QUOTE(kwolf68 @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 09:04 AM)
Trading Jon Garland would be the bane of stupidity. Unless it gets us Erik Bedard (Garland + prospect) in return I want no parts of it.

I am not a fan of Willis...he would have to improve his complimentary pitches to succeed in the AL, he's young and talented, but still a ? mark going to the AL

I just thought this was hilarious. The bane of stupidity, the nemesis of stupidity, the opposite of stupidity.

In other words: Smart.

LOL, I love it when people post like that

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 07:21 PM)
Damn, get a new hobby.

And you obviously have not been watching if you think Mark is a borderline ace, and that Vaz hasn't shown signs of pitching like everyone expects him to the last few months. Vaz should have racked up 6 or 7 more wins the last two months, instead he is getting 1 or 2 runs a game, if that. However I guess it does equal out seeing as he received the most run support of any pitcher at the ASB.

You're right. I've never watched a game in my life. In fact, I don't even know what baseball is. Sports are foreign to us where I live. I guess to that, I do need a new hobby. I'm putting my two cents into something I know NOTHING about. I must be crazy.

Keep at it sir arm chair GM.

Since we're discussing Buehrle vs. Vazquez I want so post Javier's splits for every month this season;

April - 3.67 ERA

May - 3.99 ERA

June - 7.50 ERA

July - 6.82 ERA

August - 3.41 ERA

September - 2.86 ERA

Now for Mark;

April - 2.57 ERA

May - 3.18 ERA

June - 3.89 ERA

July - 11.48 ERA

August - 4.34 ERA

September - 5.12 ERA

Vazquez POST ASB - 4.14 ERA, .235 BAA, 11 HR in 13 GS

Buehrle POST ASB - 6.01 ERA, .339 BAA, 18 HR in 13 GS

Hence why I'm a little worried about Buehrle right now.