Could the Sox get MICHAEL YOUNG?

blazewc77

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 06:29 PM)
Julio Lugo's numbers in the 2nd half have still be abjectly awful. He is hitting .188 this month. There are 3 months out of this season where he's hit below .250. He had a very good June and July, after an injured April and a crappy May. He's followed it up with a crappy August and a "Worse than Podsednik" September. For the money he's asking for and may get...this season sure doesn't look like it'd be worth it. He's about as consistent as Uribe.

I never justified it, just said he seems like the most likely option.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 02:59 PM)
The pitching they would ask for would be one of our top guys, or BMAC. Also would want fields or sweeney.

If they wanted McCarthy as the main piece in that trade, I'd certainly do it. I don't see him holding up over the long haul injury-wise and more importantly he sucks. Might as well trade him while his value is high I say. Young is a stud.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 06:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also, Young would be going from one good offensive park to another.

And we shouldn't care that he hits like s*** the other 81 games of the season because........? (I still have never received an answer explaining why it's ok for a guy to suck half the hear and how a player is guaranteed to put up the same or better numbers at USCF based on the 2004 numbers)

Vinny Castilla was awesome in Colorado. Maybe we should bring him in to replace Crede (after we trade him or move him to short.)

Dick, I posted the numbers before. With the exception of 2005, in all of his 6 years in the MLB his road OBP is very 2006 Podsednik-like. You tell me which year is the fluke:

.329, .384, .320, .291 (100 point difference between home and away,) .287

He sucks away from the ballpark in Texas, period.

I would think it could be a real possiblity considering how much gullien spoke publicly of "how great" young is.It just seemed like when he made all those comments at the asg he was setting something up for maybe a future relationship with m young.or not.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Sep 23, 2006 -> 03:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
didnt soriano "suck" away from texas last couple of seasons too?

Yes, but this year he is in a contract year and in the NL. What's your point?

I posted in another thread the splits with ALL of Texas' players, and no surprise, they ALL hit better at home than the road. (With the exception of Teixieria whose power is down)

Call me Mark Buehrle, but I'm sick of making point on Texas hitters.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 23, 2006 -> 05:30 PM)
Yes, but this year he is in a contract year and in the NL. What's your point?

I posted in another thread the splits with ALL of Texas' players, and no surprise, they ALL hit better at home than the road. (With the exception of Teixieria whose power is down)

Call me Mark Buehrle, but I'm sick of making point on Texas hitters.

Whats the point? That these guys can still hit away from texas.... And he has actually hit better now that he isnt in texas. So whats to say Michael Young wont?

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Sep 23, 2006 -> 12:50 PM)
Whats the point? That these guys can still hit away from texas.... And he has actually hit better now that he isnt in texas. So whats to say Michael Young wont?

It's not out of the norm for any player to hit a good deal better at home, for one. And what was the year (2002?) that Konerko basically did all his damage at home? Obviously, Konerko can hit anywhere. Now, someone like Jeffrey Hammonds hitting .335 for Colorado in 2000, that's different. As good a hitter's park as Texas and USCF may be, you can still trust the numbers put up there.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Sep 23, 2006 -> 12:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're using a single guy's one contract year to try and make a point about Rangers hitter being able to hit away from Texas whereas I used more than 20 different guys who proved the exact opposite.

Michael Young's career numbers say it's more likely he won't hit well away from the ballpark in Arlington.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 23, 2006 -> 01:10 PM)
You're using a single guy's one contract year to try and make a point about Rangers hitter being able to hit away from Texas whereas I used more than 20 different guys who proved the exact opposite.

Michael Young's career numbers say it's more likely he won't hit well away from the ballpark in Arlington.

In 2005 Young hit .330 on the road with a .384 OBP and 12 homers, virtually identical numbers to his home splits last year. He's hitting .285 this year on the road, with a dissappointing .329 obp. Although you would like the opb to be higher, those numbers don't exactly equate to a guy who can't hit away from Texas. He could hit anywhere.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 23, 2006 -> 06:10 PM)

Im using the only real example we have of someone who had a lot of success there but road splits were bad and than when leaving proved he was real. Carl Everett the first time we got him had a real successfull 2nd half with us too. He was injured the 2nd time around.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 05:29 PM)
Only in Texas.

His road OBP is

Think about it for a second, not that I wouldn't take Young over Uribe.

QUOTE(Greg The Bull Luzinski @ Sep 22, 2006 -> 06:14 PM)
Also, Young would be going from one good offensive park to another.

I still think a big part of the problems for the guys who play in Texas is the three straight months of playing in 100 degree, high humidity conditions on a daily basis. I also think the road numbers of Ranger players suffer greatly because in their division they play in two of the worst hitting parks in baseball for a ton of games (Oakland/Seattle) not to mention the trips to Anaheim who has had a great team annually for years now.

I agree with you on that the heaat and humidity has an effect on the Rangers players, but I don't think it is directly responsible for their big dip in offensive numbers. How would he adapt to the rain and cold during Arpil while playing in KC, Chicago, Cleveland or Detroit?

Detroit is probably worse than Seattle, and Cleveland isn't that great with the huge wall in Left and Left Center.

I don't buy the Anaheim reason either, because ever division has a tough team, and next year our division will have at least 3 (if you include us.)

The guy has a career differential between Road and home OPS of .136

In his last season with Colorado (2004,) Vinny "Focking" Castilla had a higher road OPS (by 50 points too) than Michael Young has for his career.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 25, 2006 -> 11:27 AM)
In his last season with Colorado (2004,) Vinny "Focking" Castilla had a higher road OPS (by 50 points too) than Michael Young has for his career.

anyone remember last season when a bunch of people advocated trading joe crede for vinny castilla? that was frickin hilarious.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Sep 25, 2006 -> 10:27 AM)
I agree with you on that the heaat and humidity has an effect on the Rangers players, but I don't think it is directly responsible for their big dip in offensive numbers. How would he adapt to the rain and cold during Arpil while playing in KC, Chicago, Cleveland or Detroit?

Detroit is probably worse than Seattle, and Cleveland isn't that great with the huge wall in Left and Left Center.

I don't buy the Anaheim reason either, because ever division has a tough team, and next year our division will have at least 3 (if you include us.)

The guy has a career differential between Road and home OPS of .136

Cleveland is a hitters park, and the numbers have really bore that out since they openned it. Boston has a huge wall in LF, but that doesn't mean the dimensions aren't favorable for the offense. Detroit is probably the biggest pitchers park in all of baseball, probably pretty comparable to Oakland actually. Where Det has the big OF, Oak has the huge foul territory. Then again for hitters like Young who foil off a lot of pitches places like Oakland can mean a huge chunk of the pitches that would usually end up harmlessly into the stands, could be in players mitts for outs.

Vinny Castilla compared to Young? Castillia is a big time power hitter. It only goes to reason that his OPS is going to be way higher than Michael Young. That is kind of an apples and oranges thing there...

QUOTE(BearSox @ Sep 23, 2006 -> 08:38 PM)
Chances of Michael Young and Carl Crawford being on different teams next year, not very good.

I think the chance of them being on different teams is near 100%

I'm not sure if it's Texas and Tampa but they won't be on the same team. :D

You have to have some humor after a season like this.

Edited by ptatc