Gamethread, White Sox vs. Mariners

BearSox

Our bullpen ERA over the last two months has to be close to 9.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 24, 2006 -> 08:40 PM)
Its pretty apparent Cotts cannot get anybody out. There is absolutely no reason to use him anymore this year. In fact, just so Ozzie won't be tempted, I think I would send him home.

Maybe this offseason he'll focus on learning a second pitch instead of trying to drink Chicago bars out of business.

I believe one player who'll emerge this offseason with an injury is Cotts.

I don't know why it hasn't been discussed more often, but he's completely altered his delivery. Watch the postseason of last season and compare it to now. He no longer has the deception -- the sort of pump action before delivery which made his fastball appear "sneaky."

You just don't abadon that without reason. When he throws now it's one continuos motion. And as we've seen with minor leaguer after minor leaguer, straight 90 mph fastballs are meat without something to offset it.

I hope he's packaged this offseason with Garcia or whomever else.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Sep 24, 2006 -> 08:51 PM)
Buehrle is another person I wouldn't doubt has injury issues.

Like Cotts, his follow through is completely different than last season. Not concerning his arm action, but the degree to which his back arches.

I've now changed my prediction that we will see either Contreras, Thome, or Buehrle have some type of major surgery this season. Contreras and Buehrle = back, and Thome = wrist.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Sep 24, 2006 -> 03:49 PM)
I hope he's packaged this offseason with Garcia or whomever else.

I think The Sweaty One has put doubt in the minds of the front office with his late good outings.

Will the fact that Mark throws with the left arm keep him off the trade block?

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 24, 2006 -> 03:53 PM)
I've now changed my prediction that we will see either Contreras, Thome, or Buehrle have some type of major surgery this season. Contreras and Buehrle = back, and Thome = wrist.

If Buehrle's back issues are enought to warrant surgery, send him off this offseason. This is only my observation, but one I'm sure hasn't went past Williams. Who cares if it's unethical? Let another general manager worry about it.

The thing is, I doubt Buehrle discloses back issues in his contract year. So we'll end up paying him 9 million to put up a 5 ERA next season.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

Well, I do applaud you guys who are still watching the games. I might, if my MLB.tv worked on this new HP laptop I have, but for whatever reason, my laptop doesn't feel like playing any videos whatsoever (or, rather, freezing every time a video plays).

Anything of note? I see Anderson went deep, and Crede too. That's nice to see, hopefully they'll let Fields play now so Crede can get whatever surgery he needs done ASAP. Konerko went yard twice? This is his best statistical year as a Southsider, yet I dunno... for whatever reason, it doesn't "feel" like it.

Really too bad they didn't have this intensity for the first two games of the series. Would've liked to have seen the Sox cut the Minny lead down a game, and at least have a chance to sweep in Minny; ah well.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 24, 2006 -> 03:53 PM)
I think The Sweaty One has put doubt in the minds of the front office with his late good outings.

Will the fact that Mark throws with the left arm keep him off the trade block?

If Garcia's split finger fastball is the reason for his turnaround, and these last few outtings are proof of a resurgence, I still wouldn't take a chance. Maybe another team is willing to give up more now.

I would trade Buehrle and Garcia right now if we could replace 70% of their production for 1000+% of the salary. You figure McCarthy compensates for Garcia fairly well, but now what about Mark? His innings are the most difficult to make up for. Haegar could conceivably do it. He just happens to throw a knuckleball. :bang :D

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Sep 24, 2006 -> 03:05 PM)
Maybe another team is willing to give up more now.

Take it for what it's worth, but Hawk said a few of his friends who are scouts from other teams said they are definitely going to try to get Freddy this offseason.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Sep 24, 2006 -> 03:05 PM)
If Garcia's split finger fastball is the reason for his turnaround, and these last few outtings are proof of a resurgence, I still wouldn't take a chance. Maybe another team is willing to give up more now.

I would trade Buehrle and Garcia right now if we could replace 70% of their production for 1000+% of the salary. You figure McCarthy compensates for Garcia fairly well, but now what about Mark? His innings are the most difficult to make up for. Haegar could conceivably do it. He just happens to throw a knuckleball. :bang :D

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Sep 24, 2006 -> 04:05 PM)

I'm more inclined to trade Buehrle at this point and to keep Freddy. Both have seen a drop in velocity, but Garcia started from a much higher point and has made strides, learning how to win with smarts and finesse more. Buehrle doesn't have the raw stuff to win at 86-87 mph. There's just not enough difference between the heat and the offspeed stuff.