PETA upset over Six Flags promo

southsider2k5

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20060925/D8KBS6AG0.html

PETA Upset at Six Flags Roach Contest

Email this Story

Sep 25, 7:53 AM (ET)

GURNEE, Ill. (AP) - People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals wants Six Flags Great America to scrap its Halloween-themed cockroach-eating promotion.

A spokeswoman for the animal rights organization says the contest at the amusement park's FrightFest is "gratuitously cruel."

The park in Gurnee, Ill., is joining other Six Flags parks in offering unlimited line-jumping privileges to anyone who eats a live Madagascar hissing cockroach. The bugs are up to three inches long.

The contest begins next month.

Amusement park officials are defending their menu choice. Great America spokesman Jim Taylor says the bugs are nutritious, high in protein and fat free.

QUOTE(samclemens @ Sep 25, 2006 -> 10:53 AM)
all together now...

"PC BS"

I think that this has nothing to do with being PC. PETA is against the cruelty to animals and is also against eating animals. So, it's not PC BS. It's what the organization (by definition of its name) aims to do. So you may disagree with PETA, but this stand has nothing whatsoever to do with being PC. (And are you honestly trying to say that killing roaches isn't PC?)

QUOTE(Soxy @ Sep 25, 2006 -> 11:16 AM)
I think that this has nothing to do with being PC. PETA is against the cruelty to animals and is also against eating animals. So, it's not PC BS. It's what the organization (by definition of its name) aims to do. So you may disagree with PETA, but this stand has nothing whatsoever to do with being PC. (And are you honestly trying to say that killing roaches isn't PC?)

I say PC because they are asking six flags to cancel a roach eating contest because it offends their tiny minority group. If six flags gives in to their demand, that is nothing less than polictically correct pandering. so it is PC BS in my opinion.

QUOTE(samclemens @ Sep 25, 2006 -> 11:27 AM)
I say PC because they are asking six flags to cancel a roach eating contest because it offends their tiny minority group. If six flags gives in to their demand, that is nothing less than polictically correct pandering. so it is PC BS in my opinion.

IF Six flags gives in (highly unlikely), then it will be pandering to the minority. Politically correct though? Please. There is nothing political about eating a stupid cockroach.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Sep 25, 2006 -> 11:34 AM)
IF Six flags gives in (highly unlikely), then it will be pandering to the minority. Politically correct though? Please. There is nothing political about eating a stupid cockroach.

political correctness has a broader meaning for me that it does for you i guess.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Sep 25, 2006 -> 11:34 AM)

Six Flags isn't giving in. In fact, they love the attention they are getting from all the controversy. The cockroaches are actually Madagascar Hissing cockroaches that have been bread for eating so they don't make people sick.

My girlfriend is a publicist for Great America, I know way too much about this whole thing.

QUOTE(G&T @ Sep 25, 2006 -> 11:05 AM)
Six Flags isn't giving in. In fact, they love the attention they are getting from all the controversy. The cockroaches are actually Madagascar Hissing cockroaches that have been bread for eating so they don't make people sick.

My girlfriend is a publicist for Great America, I know way too much about this whole thing.

I remember seeing those bastards at the zoo when I was a kid. I never did look at a water bug the same way again. :crying

QUOTE(samclemens @ Sep 25, 2006 -> 11:46 AM)
political correctness has a broader meaning for me that it does for you i guess.

Well, let me ask you an analogous situation (I think your idea of PC might be more anti-liberal than simply broad):

Let's say a fringe extreme group that is against contraceptives (all contraceptives) boycotts Walgreens because they provide those products. If Walgreens gives in (about as likely as Six Flags giving in), is Walgreens being too PC? They too would be pandering to a vocal minority.

I wouldn't much care to eat a live one - mostly because their exoskeleton has some sharp edges on it. The cooked roach contest on Oct 13 at the park I could do without too much problem. Don't know if I could eat 36 of them in one minute, which is the current record for eating cooked Madagascar hissers.

If you follow the instructions for cooking roaches in the “Eat-a-Bug Cookbook” by David George Gordon you can probably avoid PETA's wrath. you're supposed to freeze the roaches first which would knock them out before killing them. Then bake in a 375-degree oven for 20 to 35 minutes and top with a light coating of Cajun seasoning. The author says the american roaches have a distinct nutty and chemical taste that doesn't sound all that appealing. No information specifically on hissers.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Sep 25, 2006 -> 12:49 PM)
Well, let me ask you an analogous situation (I think your idea of PC might be more anti-liberal than simply broad):

Let's say a fringe extreme group that is against contraceptives (all contraceptives) boycotts Walgreens because they provide those products. If Walgreens gives in (about as likely as Six Flags giving in), is Walgreens being too PC? They too would be pandering to a vocal minority.

That's clearly standing up for morals and family values and has nothing to do with grandstanding or pandering.

QUOTE(Soxy @ Sep 25, 2006 -> 12:49 PM)

oh, i think that would be BS if walgreens gave in to that too. though the term PC and a homogenizing liberal agenda do have a strong link under my definition.

QUOTE(samclemens @ Sep 25, 2006 -> 04:09 PM)
oh, i think that would be BS if walgreens gave in to that too. though the term PC and a homogenizing liberal agenda do have a strong link under my definition.

So, it's not a broader definition, it's a biased definition of PC to include things that you personally don't like.

Considering the adverse environments a cockroach can live in, you better hope it's dead when you're swallowing it.

I'm sure it'd still die within the contents of your stomach, but it'd probably move around like a bastard with half its body missing.

Then there's the issue of this insect leaving your body. Arms and legs and its shell would probably be visible in the toliet. It's an ordeal I wouldn't want to go through to move up in line. I'd rather force myself to puke following the ride.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Sep 25, 2006 -> 05:17 PM)
Live worms still wiggle in your throat. Just so you know.

As do minnows . . .

The Aquarium Bar in Fox Lake (anyone know if it's still around?) had a club. Biting the head off was the ultimate prize. No line jumping, you still had to wait for the bartender to bring you a beer.