9/27 Game Thread

fathom

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 27, 2006 -> 05:46 PM)
Would it really surprise people if Ozzie felt Haeger was the better fit to start than McCarthy?

It wouldn't surprise me at all. It also wouldn't surprise me to find out that Ozzie was on Minnesota's payroll.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 27, 2006 -> 05:48 PM)
Does it really matter with most of our pitchers? Contreras and Garcia doesn't even give our catchers a chance in hell to throw someone out. Why not just sign Blanco then, who can at least give you some offense back there.

How exactly does a knuckleballer give a guy a better chance to throw out a base stealer than Garcia or Contreras?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 12:48 AM)
It wouldn't surprise me at all. It also wouldn't surprise me to find out that Ozzie was on Minnesota's payroll.

Can we hope that once KW tells Ozzie he won't sign Pierre to a 3 year, 24 million dollar contract, Ozzie will just quit the team and go with Pierre to the Nationals or someone like that?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 12:50 AM)
How exactly does a knuckleballer give a guy a better chance to throw out a base stealer than Garcia or Contreras?

They've said that Haeger is very quick to the plate. We've seen Garcia and Contreras hold runners....there's not a catcher in the world who could throw out a runner when they're on the mound.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 27, 2006 -> 05:51 PM)
Can we hope that once KW tells Ozzie he won't sign Pierre to a 3 year, 24 million dollar contract, Ozzie will just quit the team and go with Pierre to the Nationals or someone like that?

They've said that Haeger is very quick to the plate. We've seen Garcia and Contreras hold runners....there's not a catcher in the world who could throw out a runner when they're on the mound.

The Nasty Nats don't have that kind of money...especially with what they're going to try to throw at Soriano.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 27, 2006 -> 07:50 PM)

You beat me to it. He still threw out Sizemore with a 71 MPH pitch coming to him with movement. I think there is no reason you dont bring in Stew to back up AJP next year. Cheap homegrown solution.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 12:51 AM)
You beat me to it. He still threw out Sizemore with a 71 MPH pitch coming to him with movement. I think there is no reason you dont bring in Stew to back up AJP next year. Cheap homegrown solution.

We have a hard enough time scoring against Santana, Rogers, C.C. (and Liriano, I'm sure). I still think it's very important that we beef up our lineup against lefty pitchers. Hopefully we can get an everyday LF next year, and then we can have Ozuna play some 2B against LHP (if Iguchi stinks against them again) and some DH in order to not make Thome face guys like C.C. and Randy Johnson.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 27, 2006 -> 05:53 PM)
Soriano won't go back there, I guarantee it.
I understand why you'd say that...but after failing to trade Soriano at the deadline, I have to think the Nats are going to at least put a quality offer on the table for him...they really can't afford to lose him for draft picks after not trading him.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 27, 2006 -> 07:55 PM)
We have a hard enough time scoring against Santana, Rogers, C.C. (and Liriano, I'm sure). I still think it's very important that we beef up our lineup against lefty pitchers. Hopefully we can get an everyday LF next year, and then we can have Ozuna play some 2B against LHP (if Iguchi stinks against them again) and some DH in order to not make Thome face guys like C.C. and Randy Johnson.

Is the backup catcher really your solution to beating Santana? Come on Fathom, think rationally.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 27, 2006 -> 05:55 PM)

So in other words, you're asking why Ozzie doesn't go with a lineup of 9 righties against Santana et al.?

Didn't we go through that enough in 2005?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 12:55 AM)
Is the backup catcher really your solution to beating Santana? Come on Fathom, think rationally.

No, it's something we need to strengthen in order to beat tough lefties. We went something like 3-12 against Santana, Rogers, and C.C. this season. Since there's not much we can do about the 3-7 in our lineup, our back-up catcher is something that can really improve our LHP lineup. A perfect example of this is Redmond with the Twins.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 12:57 AM)
So in other words, you're asking why Ozzie doesn't go with a lineup of 9 righties against Santana et al.?

Didn't we go through that enough in 2005?

It's not just Santana I'm talking about. He's a great pitcher who I feel like we have no prayer to ever beat. It's more like the LHP who have a lot of tilt on their pitches (C.C., Randy Johnson, soon to be Andrew Miller).

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 27, 2006 -> 05:57 PM)
No, it's something we need to strengthen in order to beat tough lefties. We went something like 3-12 against Santana, Rogers, and C.C. this season. Since there's not much we can do about the 3-7 in our lineup, our back-up catcher is something that can really improve our LHP lineup. A perfect example of this is Redmond with the Twins.

How much of that would have been fixed had we had a better RH hitting catcher in our lineup? Seriously...moving Dye to the 3 hole would probably have made a bigger difference than having a better backup righty catcher. Or having a leadoff hitter.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 27, 2006 -> 07:57 PM)

Why go out and sign someone, when you havea a home grown solution? If you want to improve vs LHP, look no further than Thome, Iguchi, PODS, etc as why we cant hit them. Also, NOBODY can hit Santana this year, its not only us. CC has the 3rd best ERA in the AL, I would say he is good as well. The back up catcher's ability to hit LHP should be the last concern on the list.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 27, 2006 -> 07:51 PM)

Ozzie does have some serious man love for Pierre, he has not been shy about it. I guess this teams needs a new Timo Perez, a quick guy who can't hit or throw. Oh wait, we have one in LF most days.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 01:00 AM)
Why go out and sign someone, when you havea a home grown solution? If you want to improve vs LHP, look no further than Thome, Iguchi, PODS, etc as why we cant hit them. Also, NOBODY can hit Santana this year, its not only us. CC has the 3rd best ERA in the AL, I would say he is good as well. The back up catcher's ability to hit LHP should be the last concern on the list.

I know Santana is superb, and C.C. and Rogers were great. However, we need to find a way to put up some runs against them. We can't keep tipping our cap every time we face them. I already gave my solution for how we can improve Iguchi and Thome against LHP (have Ozuna be a supersub vs LHP).

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 01:02 AM)
I agree with this 100%

Like most of us know, the Sox are in an odd position. The problem with hitting LHP is something that defenitly needs to be addressed this off-season, but whats makes the situation is odd is that the Sox dont really have too many holes in the lineup to fill.

Getting a solid backup catcher that can hit LHP will be helpful to this team, maybe even more so in helping out AJ stay fresh, and also letting him bat mostly against RHP.

Yeah, I typically wouldn't care who the back-up catcher is. However, with the starting pitchers that are in our division, and the way that some of our core players struggle vs LHP, I think it's one of the few spots where we can upgrade our team offensively.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 27, 2006 -> 06:02 PM)
I know Santana is superb, and C.C. and Rogers were great. However, we need to find a way to put up some runs against them. We can't keep tipping our cap every time we face them. I already gave my solution for how we can improve Iguchi and Thome against LHP (have Ozuna be a supersub vs LHP).

We aren't tipping our cap against them. Remember the last time we faced Santana, where somehow we managed to get like 4 runs against him? The problem was we wound up giving up too many runs, not that we couldn't score them. And oh yeah, what was the reason we gave up so many? IMO, it was defense. Catcher didn't hurt, CF did...but you can also win against those guys by not giving up as many runs.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 01:05 AM)
We aren't tipping our cap against them. Remember the last time we faced Santana, where somehow we managed to get like 4 runs against him? The problem was we wound up giving up too many runs, not that we couldn't score them. And oh yeah, what was the reason we gave up so many? IMO, it was defense. Catcher didn't hurt, CF did...but you can also win against those guys by not giving up as many runs.

Again, I'm not just talking about Santana. We looked clueless against C.C. and Rogers this season, and the LHP is only going to get better in our division.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 27, 2006 -> 08:08 PM)
Again, I'm not just talking about Santana. We looked clueless against C.C. and Rogers this season, and the LHP is only going to get better in our division.

Come on fath, the problem isnt the backup catcher. Stew would be perfect in that role and you know it.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 01:10 AM)
Come on fath, the problem isnt the backup catcher. Stew would be perfect in that role and you know it.

No....I don't want to see him bat .150 next season. Give him another year in the minors, and then bring him up for the 2008 season. The scary thing is that I honestly believe we'll bring back Sandy for next season.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 27, 2006 -> 06:11 PM)
No....I don't want to see him bat .150 next season. Give him another year in the minors, and then bring him up for the 2008 season. The scary thing is that I honestly believe we'll bring back Sandy for next season.

There are so many other ways that we could spend money and talent this offseason rather than finding a great backup Right Hand hitting catcher.

We will win more games with 1 more quality relief pitcher than we will with a backup righty catcher instead of Stew.