Rebuild or Reload?

BamaDoc

I think its pretty obvious that the answer to the thread title is reload. Even with their struggles in the second half, the Sox were one of the best teams in baseball throughout this year, and if you really want to completely rebuild after that sort of season, then you are asking for way too much out of a team.

QUOTE(beautox @ Sep 27, 2006 -> 11:00 PM)
GMJ = Tom Goodwin circa 1998 with less SB and more HR, no thank you let some other team bite, hes 32.

from SS i would love to see Michael Young or Jimmy Rollins

and for LF i wouldn't mind Crisp or an inhouse opition

if the lead off hitter comes from LF i wouldn't be against keep juan, but for the love of god get Mr. Hriniak back working with uribe, that foot tap last season was huge.

As for our SP deal one potentially two of them to land the peices for '07 and restock our farm next year. Does anyone know how the '07 draft is looking?

Those two ideas I like alot. Young and Rollins could both lead off and help the team, Crisp was one of the best #2 hitters in the game last year, and is excellent in LF. You could then move your lineup around a bit and even it out as well.

1. Young/rollins SS

2. Crisp LF

3. Dye RF

4. Thome DH

5. Kong 1B

6. Crede 3B

7. Iguchi 2B

8. AJP C

9. BA CF

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 10:36 AM)
1. Young/rollins SS

2. Crisp LF

3. Dye RF

4. Thome DH

5. Kong 1B

6. Crede 3B

7. Iguchi 2B

8. AJP C

9. BA CF

If both Young and Crisp are added (something I feel is very unlikely to happen), then I'm pretty sure you'd see Crisp leading off and Young batting second. Crisp is closer to having the type of speed that Ozzie looks for out of the leadoff spot, and Young is an excellent, excellent #2 hitter.

QUOTE(Felix @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 10:39 AM)
If both Young and Crisp are added (something I feel is very unlikely to happen), then I'm pretty sure you'd see Crisp leading off and Young batting second. Crisp is closer to having the type of speed that Ozzie looks for out of the leadoff spot, and Young is an excellent, excellent #2 hitter.

They are both excellent #2 guys, in fact they both have an .837 OPS in that slot, Young is just a better leadoff guy than Crisp is.

After coming back and looking at young's stats, he is exactly the type of guy we need on this club. Clutch, hits to the opposite field, and doesnt try for the longball in all situations. Check out these numbers for 2006:

Bases empty .310 .355 .794

Runners On .322 .361 .848

RISP .411 .444 1.053

RISP/2outs .415 .483 1.049

Man on 3rd

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 10:56 AM)
They are both excellent #2 guys, in fact they both have an .837 OPS in that slot, Young is just a better leadoff guy than Crisp is.

After coming back and looking at young's stats, he is exactly the type of guy we need on this club. Clutch, hits to the opposite field, and doesnt try for the longball in all situations. Check out these numbers for 2006:

RISP .411 .444 1.053

Man on 3rd

I agree with you that Young would be an excellent addition, but hell, so would Albert Pujols and Johan Santana. I think its pretty unlikely that we'll see Young in a Sox uniform next year, and if he is in one, it will be at the price of McCarthy and more most likely.

QUOTE(Felix @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 11:16 AM)
I agree with you that Young would be an excellent addition, but hell, so would Albert Pujols and Johan Santana. I think its pretty unlikely that we'll see Young in a Sox uniform next year, and if he is in one, it will be at the price of McCarthy and more most likely.

no

The Rangers need SP, and Hicks has recently atleast tried to throw Michael Young under the bus.

You give them Contreras, I guarantee they are offering Young plus a reliever, and KW would be dumb as hell to take that.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 11:20 AM)
no

The Rangers need SP, and Hicks has recently atleast tried to throw Michael Young under the bus.

You give them Contreras, I guarantee they are offering Young plus a reliever, and KW would be dumb as hell to take that.

And then said that he wanted to keep Young around, and extend his contract this offseason.

http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/ne...sp&c_id=tex

Reload.

too soon to break up a team one year removed from the world series, even though about 10 guys are already gone.,

As for the starters, I agree that we should make all of them available and see who brings the best offer.

My guess is that would be Garland because he's the youngest, has won the most games the last two years and has stayed healthy.

I believe Jose is the one who should be moved. I'd say he'd have more value that soft-tossing Freddy and head case Vaz. Plus, at his age, Jose's value will only go down.

buy low, sell high.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 11:29 AM)
So Daniels would turn down a SP with World Series experience for a SS who is not really a SS?

k

I believe you mean a SP who is old, yet still on contract for 3 more years and nearly 30 more million for a SS that is one of the best hitters at his position and making hardly anything.

Also, Timo Perez has World Series experience. I bet we could have gotten a lot in return for him last year.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(Felix @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 11:32 AM)
I believe you mean a SP who is old, yet still on contract for 3 more years and nearly 30 more million for a SS that is one of the best hitters at his position and making hardly anything.

Also, Timo Perez has World Series experience. I bet we could have gotten a lot in return for him last year.

Good comparison, seeing as how Timo Perez started game 1 and all. :bang

Young is nothing special defensively either. And he's not an elite hitter, nor is he a world beater. He's a solid all-around hitter

The fact remains, the Rangers are in need of good starting pitching, they have had pretty good luck all around at developing middle infielders, and the pieces line up.

One reason the Rangers may not give him up is that his value is a little lower at this point. He's coming off his "worst" season since 2003, but he's still been productive as hell.

(For the record, I don't think Young's going to be a member of the White Sox next year...but to suggest they wouldn't trade him for Contreras is questionable)

RISP .411 .444 1.053

Man on 3rd

Wouldn't that make him more suited to the #2 slot then?

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 11:20 AM)
no

I agree, 2 or 3 of the rangers SP are leaving via FA this offseason and they need someone to be that 1-2 punch with millwoord. They're still high on Arias and Juan has upside and a .3mil buy out in '08 if he sucks in '07 they're not left holding the bag and if he doesnt they can deal him for something.

QUOTE(BamaDoc @ Sep 27, 2006 -> 06:47 PM)
How many of our players had below average years and how many had above or career years. Dye and Pablo may be the only career year players. If the players revert to their norm where would we be? A normal Buehrle year and we are right in it this year. I am begining to think that I am crazy but several of our players who had bad years that everyone talks of trading for good prospects may in reality have little value. Do you keep Pods and bring in competition or a platoon partner using the logic that he can't possibly suck this bad next year? Uribe and the team in general need to be reached/taught/worked on going with the pitch.

If you think our players revert to normal, then you may only need a tweak to the lineup. I still am enamored with Ichiro in right( moving Dye to left). Ichiro is in the last year of contract and thus may not require as much. I am not in a total rebuild mode. We are still a talented team providing we don't have significant pitcher injuries of which we are unaware.

I would crap a diamond turd if Ichiro came to the Sox. He has been my favorite baseball player over the last 5 years. He is all guts, and is the exemplary ballplayer at the plate. I'd take him over ANYONE else. He will get his 220 hits every year. That's practically guaranteed. I'd give two of our starters for him. He's that good!

QUOTE(beautox @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 03:17 PM)
i wouldn't hes in the last year of his contract. I assume it would take a pitching prospect that would be ready by mid '07 and a top posistion prospect to get him

So Broadway + Fields/Sweeney. Would you do that deal?

Broadway and Fields/Sweeney for Ichiro? I'd make that trade yesterday

Problem is, Seattle will never make that deal.

For Ichiro, you're looking at a starting pitcher and probably 2 prospects on top of that.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Sep 27, 2006 -> 10:40 PM)
B-Mac in Buehrle's rotation spot, new LF and SS, bullpen help, the end. So reload I guess.

I agree. :gosox1:

RISP .411 .444 1.053

Man on 3rd

Don't worry, if we were to get Young, Greg Walker would change that in a jiffy. Remember when Thome and AJP sprayed the ball? Pull and Lift baseball. Our first step this offseason should be firing Greg Walker.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 28, 2006 -> 11:29 AM)
So Daniels would turn down a SP with World Series experience for a SS who is not really a SS?

k

I thought Young was back at 2nd with Ian Kinsler playing SS.