KW speaks about the offseason

beautox

QUOTE(beck72 @ Oct 1, 2006 -> 09:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That would be ugly having any of those 3 guys leading off. That's something a team like Pittsburgh would do, not a playoff team.

Mack's OBP against RHP: .384

Gload OBP against RHP: .361

Byrnes OP against LHP: .377

Oh wait, you care more about hit totals than OBP. :bang

Anyone else like my idea of Gload/Mack/Byrnes/Anderson platoons for CF and LF?

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Oct 2, 2006 -> 01:38 AM)
Anyone else like my idea of Gload/Mack/Byrnes/Anderson platoons for CF and LF?

No, and only for these two reasons: 1) Byrnes is going to get a lot more money than he's worth this offseason, 2) I don't trust Ozzie to use those players the right way.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Oct 1, 2006 -> 08:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Byrnes isn't Eric Byrnes, career .322 obp is it? Weren't you the guy saying Michael Young can't hit away from Texas and his road obp is .333, so he should not be an option for KW as a lead-off man?

I want Byrnes only for lefty pitchers.

On the road, vs. LHP this season: .357/.432/.595

That's damn good.

QUOTE(TaylorStSox @ Oct 1, 2006 -> 08:32 PM)
Well said. A hitting coach can only maximize a hitter's strengths. We have a bunch of pull hitters. I don't want a hitting coach that's trying to change everyone's approach to fit their idea of what a good hitter should be.

BS, AJ's greatest strength was hitting for a high average and spraying the ball all over the place. Now all he does is pull and lift like he's trying to golf the ball.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Oct 2, 2006 -> 01:42 AM)
BS, AJ's greatest strength was hitting for a high average and spraying the ball all over the place. Now all he does is pull and lift like he's trying to golf the ball.

he was hitting in the .300's for a majority of the year.. i dont see a problem with Pieryznski at all.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Oct 2, 2006 -> 01:50 AM)
he was hitting in the .300's for a majority of the year.. i dont see a problem with Pieryznski at all.

His pull baseball approach in the 2nd half killed our offense. He was around .260 for most of the 2nd half with very few walks.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Oct 1, 2006 -> 07:22 PM)
Brian will have to hit better than 215. Even if he miraculously limits stretches of poor AB's and has an average around .250, it may not be enough for Guillen. Remember, he doesn't appear to acknowledge defense -- a strong component of Anderson's game.

His AB against Nathan earlier was atrocious, and served as a reminder to anyone penciling him in for immediate improvement next season. It was as if he's never seen a ball move downward. When I witness pathetic matchups against elite pitchers -- especially within our division -- I imagine patience is growing thin.

Winterball will be very important for Anderson. He'll probably have to hit .350 for Guillen's views to dramtically change. Sweeney, however, has been showered will praise and can do anything he wants; as we've seen with people who Guillen supports.

No, that wasn't an encouraging site, but come on, Nathan is filthy. He can make anyone look that bad.

We just have to wait and see. Anderson has to make strides in winter ball and show some more in ST. Sweeney has to win the job by totally outhitting him. Neither has happened yet.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 2, 2006 -> 01:58 AM)
Greg Walker is the least of our problems. We can fire him and then when the next hitting coach comes in and our hitters continue to do the same thing, we can fire him as well.

^^^^^^

The thing that is wrong with our hitting is our personnel not the coach. But for the majority of the season the hitting was amazing... they just tanked a bit down the stretch. But that happens when you have only 1/2 of your ballclub carrying it while the other half is s***ting themselves.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Oct 1, 2006 -> 08:42 PM)

IMO, this directly coincides with Thome's power decline. When Thome was the dominant LH power presence in the line up, AJ wasn't trying to pull everything. Do you think Walker told him to pull everything? Ultimately players are responsible for their own performance.

Anyway, generally, the only problem I had with our offense was a lack of speed. I don't have a problem with the hitter's approach.

QUOTE(TaylorStSox @ Oct 1, 2006 -> 09:03 PM)
IMO, this directly coincides with Thome's power decline. When Thome was the dominant LH power presence in the line up, AJ wasn't trying to pull everything. Do you think Walker told him to pull everything? Ultimately players are responsible for their own performance.

Anyway, generally, the only problem I had with our offense was a lack of speed. I don't have a problem with the hitter's approach.

Actually I don't think it coincides with anything that has to do with Thome. AJ did this last year as well.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Sep 30, 2006 -> 02:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
With Freddy Garcia, before you give a definative answer as to whether you want him traded or not just ask yourself on simple question.

Would you be willing to give Freddy Garcia a 3 year ~$33M deal with a 4th year option/buyout RIGHT NOW.

If yes then you obviously do not want him traded

If no then you should want him traded.

Who says the Sox can't let Garcia pitch next year and then trade him during the season? I'm not saying that's what they should do, but the last time the Sox traded a guy because they thought there wasn't going to be compensation, they ended up with Jon Adkins.

Maybe its just me, but I don't want Garcia dealt...it appears he found something in the last 6 weeks with his new splitter. The guy was damned near unhittable. I don't think we can AFFORD to deal him, because we have issues otherwise

-Contreras (Durability is a concern and was very spotty after coming off IR)

-Buehrle (Horrific season of epic proportions. We all expect a solid rebound, but this year was terrible)

-Vazquez (Showed promise down the stretch, but it's still Javy Vazquez, in other words a guy you just can't count on to win a big one)

-Garland (safe money here. Back to back 18 winners...He'll dup it next year)

-McCarthy (prospect. Promising starts in '05 and a very promising start down the end, but far from proven goods)

We can't deal Garcia...dude has been our best pitcher in the last month. Tell me we are going to deal him and you better give me a stud package in return.

QUOTE(kwolf68 @ Oct 1, 2006 -> 11:13 PM)
We can't deal Garcia...dude has been our best pitcher in the last month. Tell me we are going to deal him and you better give me a stud package in return.

Cory Lidle didn't bring the A's a stud package after his 2002 season.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 2, 2006 -> 12:36 AM)
Garcia has a much better reputation than Lidle though.

Lidle was also much cheaper financially, was guaranteed to be coming back for the next few years, and actually put up 2 better years in a row than Garcia has with the Sox.

I do agree with the reputation, and that starting pitching's value in general is higher than it was then(or big game starters)...that doesn't mean Garcia is going to net the Sox a "stud package" in return. A top 10 and a top 20 prospect would satisfy me, or if he helped net the Sox a good leadoff hitter for next year's team.

I'd be fine with letting the current rotation rest/heal/rethink their approach/whatever else and then just bring them all back to camp. Starters are not too easy to come by, and the Sox don't have the minor-league depth to be giving rotation arms away.

Once camp starts, use that time to see who seems to be returning to form, see what teams are having starter problems and try to deal someone then, if need be.

I'm really hoping Buerhle's difficulties came just from losing a few MPH due to a tired arm, and the full winter break helps to get those few MPH back to give him a bigger difference between his fastball and change.

Keep McSavior stretched out with spot starts in case of injury or ineffectiveness and concentrate on acquiring bullpen help and a leadoff man in left or center field (moving Anderson to LF if a better CF comes around).