Top 10 Outfield Options for 2007 in Free Agency

RME JICO

Top 10 Outfield Options in Free Agency  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like to see in the Sox Outfield for 2007?

• Scott Podsednik - 30, 1.97M, 03 HR/45 RBI/40 SB*/.261 BA/.330 OBP/.684 OPS
    • Dave Roberts - 34, 2.25M, 02 HR/44 RBI/49 SB*/.295 BA*/.361 OBP*/.757 OPS
    • Gary Matthews Jr - 32, 2.39M, 19 HR*/79 RBI*/10 SB/.313 BA*/.371 OBP*/.866 OPS*
    • Frank Catalanotto - 32, 2.50M, 07 HR/56 RBI/01 SB/.300 BA*/.376 OBP*/.816 OPS
    • Jay Payton - 33, 4.00M, 10 HR/58 RBI/08 SB/.293 BA/.321 OBP/.738 OPS
    • Preston Wilson - 32, 4.50M, 17 HR/72 RBI/12 SB/.264 BA/.308 OBP/.732 OPS
    • Juan Pierre - 29, 5.75M, 03 HR/39 RBI/58 SB*/.291 BA/.329 OBP/.757 OPS
    • Shannon Stewart - 32, 6.50M, 02 HR/21 RBI/03 SB/.293 BA/.347 OBP/.715 OPS
    • Mike Cameron - 33, 8.00M, 22 HR*/83 RBI*/25 SB/.268 BA/.355 OBP/.837 OPS*
    • Torii Hunter - 31, 10.75M, 30 HR*/96 RBI*/12 SB/.278 BA/.336 OBP/.823 OPS*

QUOTE(max power @ Oct 1, 2006 -> 04:49 PM)
Frank Catalanotto looks like the best option above, imo.

Except he can't hit lefties, so we'd have to find another righty back-up outfielder. We better not be seeing Ozuna in the outfield again next year on a platoon basis.

I don't like any of them really. I'd have to vote Pierre, but he is pretty pricey for roughly the same production as a good Pods. The only thing is he's more of a safe bet than Pods from year to year, but is that worth an extra 4 million? It might be. Switching leagues might be a good thing and help him have a career year.

I like Hunter, but center field is not an issue and his salary is out of the question.

Catalonotto is a likeable guy, but really what does he bring other than a nice average? If my left fielder hits seven homers, he better steal 50 bases...or hit .350, neither of which Cat comes close to. And he can't hit lefties? No thanks.

Roberts is high risk and low reward. I really don't see him playing a full season and hitting close to .300 next year at his age and given his history. Not really an upgrade.

In order to really upgrade the position significantly, we'd have to make a trade rather than go to the FA market.

Edited by ZoSo

QUOTE(ZoSo @ Oct 1, 2006 -> 05:27 PM)
I don't like any of them really. I'd have to vote Pierre, but he is pretty pricey for roughly the same production as a good Pods. The only thing is he's more of a safe bet than Pods from year to year, but is that worth an extra 4 million? It might be. Switching leagues might be a good thing and help him have a career year.

I like Hunter, but center field is not an issue and his salary is out of the question.

Catalonotto is a likeable guy, but really what does he bring other than a nice average? If my left fielder hits seven homers, he better steal 50 bases...or hit .350, neither of which Cat comes close to. And he can't hit lefties? No thanks.

Roberts is high risk and low reward. I really don't see him playing a full season and hitting close to .300 next year at his age and given his history. Not really an upgrade.

In order to really upgrade the position significantly, we'd have to make a trade rather than go to the FA market.

I think your opinion on Catalonotto is a microcosm of the Sox offensive inconsistancy. The Sox offense has become one-dimensional, and they need three-hundred hitters that put the ball into play on a consistant basis(only 90 SO the past two seasons combined - Konerko, Iguchi, Dye, Pods, and Thome have more this season alone) and put pressure on the other team. Furthermore, despite only 7 HR he still has a higher SLG than Iguchi and AJ by comparison. Finally, compared to Pods, you actually get an increase in power not that the Sox needed it. I will admit that Cat. struggles against lefties, and that the Sox would still need a leadoff hitter with Cat. being a perfect two hitter, but I think Cat. would be a perfect fit for the Sox.

QUOTE(Felix @ Oct 1, 2006 -> 10:00 PM)
Can I have "Ryan Sweeney" for 500? (or hell, Ross Gload)

I'll take Ryan Sweeney for $1000.

Listening to Ozzie gush about Sweeney in the pre-game, reading all his comments in the papers, and watching Ryan this month, I'll take bets he's the starting LFer in 2007 barring injury.

That would mean a vet in CF of course.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 1, 2006 -> 10:13 PM)
If he's starting in LF, I hope we upgrade offensively in CF, as well as add a back-up LF we can platoon Sweeney with.

Coco Crisp in CF. I'm not sure who'd be the righty platoon guy, though. Preferably someone who can play more than just LF.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Oct 1, 2006 -> 05:31 PM)
Coco Crisp in CF. I'm not sure who'd be the righty platoon guy, though. Preferably someone who can play more than just LF.

If you're going to have both Covelli Crisp and Ryan Sweeney in the OF next year I'd much prefer Sweeney in CF and Crisp in LF strickly because of arm strength. I really don't want to see Crisp making throws from the right center field gap to 3B/cutoffman he's just not capable of doing such a thing.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Oct 1, 2006 -> 03:51 PM)
make 2007 the Year of the Cat.

Grinder. Left-handed hitter. doesn't overswing. has usually played well against us.

bring him on.

Well, he wont be playing us if he is playing with us.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Oct 1, 2006 -> 10:36 PM)
If you're going to have both Covelli Crisp and Ryan Sweeney in the OF next year I'd much prefer Sweeney in CF and Crisp in LF strickly because of arm strength. I really don't want to see Crisp making throws from the right center field gap to 3B/cutoffman he's just not capable of doing such a thing.

I like Crisp because he can play both spots. I know he's better in Lf than CF. But I don't know if he's better than Ryan in CF.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Oct 2, 2006 -> 01:24 AM)
I rather not see us start two super young players everday in the OF.

We don't exactly have a strong history of our prospects looking major league ready in their first few years in the majors, in regards to offense.

QUOTE(SinkingShip06 @ Oct 2, 2006 -> 01:57 AM)
Shannon Stewart solves left field and leadoff man problem. i've loved this guy ever since his Toronto days

He's always injured, is pathetic defensively, and he's lost two steps. He'd be a terrible fit for what we're looking for.

QUOTE(fathom @ Oct 1, 2006 -> 05:13 PM)
If he's starting in LF, I hope we upgrade offensively in CF, as well as add a back-up LF we can platoon Sweeney with.

I think that Sweeney will adjust to major league pitching quicker than Anderson, but I see your point, which is why I mentioned Gload as another possibility, preferably as a platoon. (and yes, I know he's not that great defensively)

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(Felix @ Oct 2, 2006 -> 04:32 AM)
I think that Sweeney will adjust to major league pitching quicker than Anderson, but I see your point, which is why I mentioned Gload as another possibility, preferably as a platoon. (and yes, I know he's not that great defensively)

So we have no one to face all the great LHP in our division? Might as well pencil us in for 3rd place then.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Oct 2, 2006 -> 03:28 AM)
Cameron's not a fa. The Pads have already said they'll pick up his option.

Dellucci should be on that list.

Yeah I'd go for Dellucci also.

Ozuna can just be the platoon partner again vs. LHP.