The Final Day as World Champions

The Critic

Today is the final day of the White Sox reign as World Series Champions, at least in my mind, since they didn't qualify for the tournament to repeat.

I just wanted to post my gratitude to the Sox for the most fun I've had as a baseball fan.

This past year has been a blast!

:notworthy :notworthy

THANKS for the memories, and GET 'EM AGAIN NEXT YEAR!!!!

:headbang :headbang

The final day for the victory lap (or the death march, which ever you prefer).

A sweep of the Twins, basically deciding for them who they'll have the honor of losing to, and winning 91 games would be a pretty nice consolation prize. There's no shame in winning 90+ and coming up short. Like Homer said, "the dolphins just wanted it more."

Did anybody catch the season highlights on the WGN pregame show?

We had some incredible moments.

Hawk and his "mercy" calls and his patented home run calls. Awesome.

I still can't believe we're not going to the playoffs and the Twinks and Tigers are.

Ninety plus wins and no playoffs. What a shame.

Also we're pitching better of late and still might have had some of the best starting

pitching for the postseason assuming BMac could pick up for Jose which it looks like

he could judging from his start.

Opportunity lost thanks to our s***ty bullpen except for Jenks.

p.s. In the Oz interview with Roan he showed manlove for Sweeney and Charlie.

It appears Oz never wants to see BA's face again, defense be damned.

Edited by greg775

The first half was real fun. No doubt about it. That stetch in June when it seemed as if no lead was big enough for us to come back from was amazing. The offensive explosion for much of the year was also a big surprise. I knew it would be better. Thome alone made it better. But nobody could've predicted Dye and Crede would have the years they've had. The pitching was actually pretty good the first two months. Jose was argubly the best pitcher in baseball through May. Buehrle was having another great year. Javy was doing a solid job. Freddy was OK. Jon was sucking. Overall, the starting pitching was pretty solid.

However, what has taken place since July 7th has killed the entire season for me. There's no way to sugarcoat a team with this level of talent finishing in third place. Just can't do it. So much was put into this team with the idea of winning it all again. We failed miserably. I, for one, want to forget 2006 ever happened.

But, I will say it was fun being on top for a year. I hope we get to experience that feeling again REAL soon.

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ Oct 1, 2006 -> 02:04 PM)
we've been the DEFENDING world champions since april

i hate how everyone still says we are

at the beginning of the season everyone goes back to zero

we're the defending champs until after the series

Not "defending," but REIGNING World Champions.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Oct 1, 2006 -> 11:43 AM)
Today is the final day of the White Sox reign as World Series Champions, at least in my mind, since they didn't qualify for the tournament to repeat.

I just wanted to post my gratitude to the Sox for the most fun I've had as a baseball fan.

I agree completely. Last year was the best sports year of my life, and brought a day that I didn't think would come around in my entire lifetime, let alone when I was merely 18. Great year, great fun, and great memories :cheers :headbang

Now lets get back on track for 2007 and do it again :)

Edited by Felix

Yea last year was it for me too....I finally got a World Series and Ill never forget that, the guys brought a lot of people a lot of joy. Time to move onto the Bears, which isn't going half bad right about now. I don't care about the NBA and maybe one day the Hawks will come back and get a cup.

QUOTE(ZoSo @ Oct 1, 2006 -> 12:15 PM)
The final day for the victory lap (or the death march, which ever you prefer).

A sweep of the Twins, basically deciding for them who they'll have the honor of losing to, and winning 91 games would be a pretty nice consolation prize. There's no shame in winning 90+ and coming up short. Like Homer said, "the dolphins just wanted it more."

That would've been a nice consolation prize.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Oct 1, 2006 -> 04:43 PM)

I agree with you, Critic, but the Sox are still Champs until the new one is crowned so I am still hanging on to that. But, we will be back in 2007. :D :gosox3:

QUOTE(greg775 @ Oct 1, 2006 -> 06:00 PM)
p.s. In the Oz interview with Roan he showed manlove for Sweeney and Charlie.

It appears Oz never wants to see BA's face again, defense be damned.

If Anderson is traded and Sweeney wins the CF in ST, it will be interesting to see what Oz does if Sweeney starts off slow ;)

If Anderson is traded and Sweeney wins the CF in ST, it will be interesting to see what Oz does if Sweeney starts off slow

Great point, that obviously could happen.

The article on BA where Brian says he wants to work hard this offseason returning to where he slams hits in the gaps is

encouraging.

Oz said the job is not BA's but it's obvious if he shows improvement he has the leg up considering he already got a year

experience under his belt and is incredible defensively.

If we don't make a deal, I'd expect to see BA start the season in cf, but he will have a short leash unfortunately for him.

Don't you agree, though, that Oz is not high on the guy and is desperately hoping for an upgrade?