LOST! thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 08:45 PM)
My best guess is he doesn't. In effect, he forces the universe to find another way to balance itself. Perhaps somebody else dies? Claire? Maybe Sun's baby? Maybe even Claire's baby Aaron? I can't find any logic why Claire would get the boot. But the two babies, the way I figure it is, the universe kicks one person off (Charlie) to make room for another. If Charlie doesn't die like he's supposed to, the universe will be forced to kick somebody off who is still fresh, young or not even born (Sun's kid). Since Aaron is already born, he may have a pre-determined path that the universe has given him already. Since Sun's kid isn't born yet, my guess is that's who goes in Charlie's place.

Aaron is so getting kidnapped at one point or another. You can see that one coming a mile away.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 06:13 AM)
Aaron is so getting kidnapped at one point or another. You can see that one coming a mile away.

Nah, they've already done that.

I think we'll find that Desmond has been to the island before, sorta like Groundhog Day. He 'sees' the future because he's seen Charlie die before the other times that he's been there. His whole flashback led me to believe this was true. It's all about him replaying that one part of his life where he had to choose which path to go down. The one leads him to man-up and pick Penelope, the other forces him into this sorta-pergatory island in which he's forced to save someones life in order to get back to the position where he can make the choice again. All of this of course is somehow mixed in with the fail safe key and the hatch explosion. Something happened there I think that ties it all together. I think the rest of the characters are just there, living in the moment, but the show itself is all about Desmond.

I dunno, crazy sci-fi theory I know, but I believe the two skeletons on the island, whom the producers say play an integral part of the whole story, are desmond and penelope so I gotta find some way to tie all that in.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 04:29 AM)
That was another good episode. It will be interesting as Desmond's secret gets less and less secret, how that gets handled. You know people aren't going to be able to keep something that good to themselves.

Locke has his weekly run of "I did it my way"'s, which ended up killing the Russian, not to mention really putting an odd distrust in the air. Where did he find the C-4 exactly if he never went into the basement, and why didn't he tell anyone else? There is something we don't know going on there, and its getting to the point where I don't really trust him. He totally avoided Kate when she asked about him about saving Jack.

The scene are the barrier was pretty cool. Part of me was wondering if the death scene was a fake job, except that was pretty convincing with the blood out of the ears and such. They haven't done the whole fake death thing yet, but it still wouldn't surprise me.

The revelation about Clair and Jack being sibs took long enough to happen. I caught that when they tipped it earlier a season or two ago, but it was nice to have in the open. I wonder how long until they figure it out?

Remember, Locke was the last to leave the house so he probably found the C-4, took some of it and knowingly blue the flame up. What the reasons were, we don't know. I also found it very interesting when people were about to find out about Locke being paralyzed the Russian died. I wonder if he's hiding it for some strange reason.

The episode was relatively weak though until the end which was just WOW. Lost has gotten too spread out and is trying to involve too many characters and I think they are best going back to the basics. Over the first two seasons they got us attached to a certain group of lead characters and than some of those characters died and I like adding new ones but I think those additions should be secondary and not the focal point of various episodes (do little smaller side ones and slowly develop newer characters or less popular ones).

Just my opinion and I truly think the main reason I complain is this show was so so good for the first two seasons. Also this long break hurt the show big time cause it killed the momentum. I was digging season 3 up until the break and than things simmer. I just hope it can survive and get the momentum churning again.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 16, 2007 -> 04:05 PM)
All I know is that it was weird when that guy from the flame knew about Locke and his paralysis.

big time. it also suggests that their intel stopped at some point.

i also thought the russian's mention of the incident that stopped their communication with the outside world to be interesting.

this episode was really, really flocking good.

also, was i the only one who caught locke in a "christ" pose on the previews for next week?

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Mar 15, 2007 -> 07:38 AM)
Claire never even knew her father's name, so I'd be a bit of a stretch for them to just figure it out without the others telling them.

I believe in the preview for next week that there was a very angry Locke holding a gun and shouting "I'm not here for Jack!"

Ya, I think that he's there for revenge because he was one of the few that trusted the head honcho over at the others camp and I think it is similar to when Locke trusted the kid at the drug farm (he's been burned too many times and he's out for revenge and the kill).

HOLY f***ING s*** WAS THAT EPISODE AWESOME!!!!

Wow, where to start?

-You could just tell that something has been up for a while with John Locke. He has been doing stupid things for too long now for it to just be a coincidence, and of course as usual with LOST I totally missed it. His whole back and forth with Ben could be analyzed forever, but it boils down to Ben is a fricken awesome character. You really don't know when he is playing the game, or when he is telling the truth. The ending with Ben showing Locke his father was the Coup De Grace. (I did call that one though). It will be really interesting to see if Ben lets John have a crack at his Daddy.

-The line Ben had about releasing Jacks friends when Jack and Juliet left the island was perfect. It caught Jack off guard, but he never got it, now we get to see how Ben handles this. Does he still let them go, even though there is no where to go?

-The key question for this week is what is the Magic Box, and is it real?

I know there is more stuff I forgot, but we'll start with that.

QUOTE(retro1983hat @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 08:48 AM)
Lost save me from deleting it off my DVR season pass. I really liked last night's episode, although I have become less and less interested in what happens in the flashbacks.

One thing I have learned with this show is that you can't think of it as individual episodes. With a plot as complex as they have, they need time to build story line and details. A season is really a show, and sometimes it take a couple of weeks to get enough stuff out there to build a good climax. They have been setting up this weeks episode for 3 or 4 weeks now. I have found I like the show a lot better with that kind of perspective, instead of thinking that each week has to have something huge in it.

Also the flashbacks are key in lots of respects. Think of all of the Locke flashbacks for example. If we don't have those, the scene where Ben reveals John's Dad to him would have made zero sense.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 02:27 PM)
One thing I have learned with this show is that you can't think of it as individual episodes. With a plot as complex as they have, they need time to build story line and details. A season is really a show, and sometimes it take a couple of weeks to get enough stuff out there to build a good climax. They have been setting up this weeks episode for 3 or 4 weeks now. I have found I like the show a lot better with that kind of perspective, instead of thinking that each week has to have something huge in it.

Also the flashbacks are key in lots of respects. Think of all of the Locke flashbacks for example. If we don't have those, the scene where Ben reveals John's Dad to him would have made zero sense.

you know what I think? I think there are a lot of fans that caught up with the show through dvds, and when you are flyin through a season a bad episode you don't notice as much cause you are caught up in the whole season. Then when we have to do the week to week stuff the individual episodes are so much more important. That hurley/van episode wouldn't have bothered me at all if i had 10 more episodes to just play whenever I wanted.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 07:07 AM)

Wow, where to start?

-You could just tell that something has been up for a while with John Locke. He has been doing stupid things for too long now for it to just be a coincidence, and of course as usual with LOST I totally missed it. His whole back and forth with Ben could be analyzed forever, but it boils down to Ben is a fricken awesome character. You really don't know when he is playing the game, or when he is telling the truth. The ending with Ben showing Locke his father was the Coup De Grace. (I did call that one though). It will be really interesting to see if Ben lets John have a crack at his Daddy.

-The line Ben had about releasing Jacks friends when Jack and Juliet left the island was perfect. It caught Jack off guard, but he never got it, now we get to see how Ben handles this. Does he still let them go, even though there is no where to go?

-The key question for this week is what is the Magic Box, and is it real?

I know there is more stuff I forgot, but we'll start with that.

I believe the magic box was more rhetorical as Ben knew what John would think.

The Locke character is what I believe is the whole jist of the show. Is Locke a pawn that Ben can manipulate easily or is Locke the know all of the secrets of the island and therefore driving Ben crazy????

I really do not undersand the Others are they part of Dharma or aren't they? Also, what the hell has Rousseau been doing for 16 years that she has never found Otherville? Jesus woman get out once and a while.

QUOTE(bmags @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 10:24 AM)
you know what I think? I think there are a lot of fans that caught up with the show through dvds, and when you are flyin through a season a bad episode you don't notice as much cause you are caught up in the whole season. Then when we have to do the week to week stuff the individual episodes are so much more important. That hurley/van episode wouldn't have bothered me at all if i had 10 more episodes to just play whenever I wanted.

That makes a lot of sense actually. I know I watched the first season on DVD and it was a lot harder to stick through the second season with commericials, weeks off, and the like.

QUOTE(Jenks Heat @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 10:34 AM)
I believe the magic box was more rhetorical as Ben knew what John would think.

The Locke character is what I believe is the whole jist of the show. Is Locke a pawn that Ben can manipulate easily or is Locke the know all of the secrets of the island and therefore driving Ben crazy????

I really do not undersand the Others are they part of Dharma or aren't they? Also, what the hell has Rousseau been doing for 16 years that she has never found Otherville? Jesus woman get out once and a while.

good theory on Locke. That really boils it down well.

On Rouseeau, she seems like she was content to hide as much as possible. She was more worried about surviving vs finding out stuff.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 12:07 PM)

When Ben said that i was mad and found it a good piece of writing. His words were "I'll let your friends go as soon as you are off the island" Well....with Locke already headed to the sub to take it out...Ben knows they won't be leaving the island and won't let Kate and Sayid go.

I imagine Jack will come back and confront Ben

Jack: "You gave me your word..you said you would let them go!"

Ben: "I said i would....as soon as you left the island (sly smile across Ben's face) and you haven't left the island!!"

Ben is a bastard...but i give the actor major props for making me feel that way!!

Ben's character is a nice combo of well written and well acted. He is one of those guys who you can feel sorry for one minute, and then root for something bad to happen to in the next minute. I think he is honestly my favorite character of the whole cast. Its either that or Sawyer.

The Locke-Ben story line boils down as follows (imho):

Ben is perceived as all powerful by his people. What makes the people on the island perceive this is some what of a mystery, although I feel it is derived from the fact that Ben seems to know everything about everyone on the island. This part of the plot has not been developed at all, but has constantly been touched on (from the first others kidnapping when they had a "list"). It is clear that Ben some how is getting knowledge about these people, but at this point its nothing more than speculation on how its occuring.

The Locke story line creates a problem for Ben. Locke was crippled but as soon as he came to the island was healed. Ben on the other hand was born on the island, never left the island, and not only has not been healed but has some how gotten sick. There have been 2 other cases of miracle heals, with the lady who had cancer and perhaps with Sun and Jin. But it appears that Ben really has no understanding of the healing power of the island.

This connects to an even more remote story line in Australia where I believe it was the black lady was going to a "power source" where she would be healed. When she met the healer he said something cryptic like "this is not your place to be healed." If you extrapolate that situation to here it would appear that the island is a similar power source that may not heal all people equally.

Even further it may be the type of injury/person that plays a role in whether or not the miracle can occur. Ben is perceived as "good" by his people, but as the story line has progressed it is clear that by "good" Ben is doing everything for his own sake. Comparitively, Locke was injured being altruistic. He paralyzed because he went out of his way to try and save another family from his father's con with no real benefit to himself. In fact Locke never even makes an offer to split the money etc, he just did not want that family to be conned as he had. Perhaps as Ben has become twisted and more self-serving, he has lost the connection to the island that he once had, and that loss of connection is manifesting itself in the cancer, and now in his inability to walk.

Even the destruction of the sub confirms Ben's motives. Instead of thinking that he could use the sub to go back and perhaps get better at another place, he is so determined to prevent Jack from leaving, and from showing weakness that he would rather stay on the island forever and remain the god/leader that he perceives himself to be.

As for letting them go, I believe that some how Locke will strike a deal with Ben that in exchange for Locke staying with Ben and helping him, that the other 3 will be let go. I think Locke will start to see that Ben is a conman like his father and that he will realize the errors in his way, and Locke may be the person to erode Ben's power. Because it is unclear whether only Ben knows about everyone, or whether all the others know. As it could be interesting if onyl Ben knows Locke used to be in a wheel chair.

QUOTE(Soxbadger @ Mar 22, 2007 -> 06:17 PM)
The Locke-Ben story line boils down as follows (imho):

Ben is perceived as all powerful by his people. What makes the people on the island perceive this is some what of a mystery, although I feel it is derived from the fact that Ben seems to know everything about everyone on the island. This part of the plot has not been developed at all, but has constantly been touched on (from the first others kidnapping when they had a "list"). It is clear that Ben some how is getting knowledge about these people, but at this point its nothing more than speculation on how its occuring.

The Locke story line creates a problem for Ben. Locke was crippled but as soon as he came to the island was healed. Ben on the other hand was born on the island, never left the island, and not only has not been healed but has some how gotten sick. There have been 2 other cases of miracle heals, with the lady who had cancer and perhaps with Sun and Jin. But it appears that Ben really has no understanding of the healing power of the island.

This connects to an even more remote story line in Australia where I believe it was the black lady was going to a "power source" where she would be healed. When she met the healer he said something cryptic like "this is not your place to be healed." If you extrapolate that situation to here it would appear that the island is a similar power source that may not heal all people equally.

Even further it may be the type of injury/person that plays a role in whether or not the miracle can occur. Ben is perceived as "good" by his people, but as the story line has progressed it is clear that by "good" Ben is doing everything for his own sake. Comparitively, Locke was injured being altruistic. He paralyzed because he went out of his way to try and save another family from his father's con with no real benefit to himself. In fact Locke never even makes an offer to split the money etc, he just did not want that family to be conned as he had. Perhaps as Ben has become twisted and more self-serving, he has lost the connection to the island that he once had, and that loss of connection is manifesting itself in the cancer, and now in his inability to walk.

Even the destruction of the sub confirms Ben's motives. Instead of thinking that he could use the sub to go back and perhaps get better at another place, he is so determined to prevent Jack from leaving, and from showing weakness that he would rather stay on the island forever and remain the god/leader that he perceives himself to be.

As for letting them go, I believe that some how Locke will strike a deal with Ben that in exchange for Locke staying with Ben and helping him, that the other 3 will be let go. I think Locke will start to see that Ben is a conman like his father and that he will realize the errors in his way, and Locke may be the person to erode Ben's power. Because it is unclear whether only Ben knows about everyone, or whether all the others know. As it could be interesting if onyl Ben knows Locke used to be in a wheel chair.

interesting analysis. i do think some of the others know locke was in a wheelchair. i primarily base that off what the russian said right before he got tossed into the sonic weapon fence.

Well, that was a pretty worthless episode but I guess kind of cool. Not sure why they'd waste an episode to develop new characters and then kill them. All they showed us was they had a radio. They couldn't find an easier and more productive way to do that? I guess we know how Sun was kidnapped too, but I thought it was pretty obvious already.

How'd the camp get those shovels, too? They had shovels you can buy at Home Depot. They never had shovels like that in the earlier episodes. I think them Lost f***ers are getting lazy.

Edited by BobDylan