Steve "Psycho" Lyons fired from Fox for racial insensitive c

CSF

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Oct 14, 2006 -> 11:31 PM)
Oh come on. Pinella is talking about finding wallets and Steve says that, and gets fired for it? This world has gotten too damn sensative, PC or whatever bulls*** you want to call that.

Pinella wasn't talking about finding wallets. It was a metaphor - regarding their big money players & Scutaro.

Lyons was insinuating that Spanish speaking folks are likely thieves. BIG difference.

And learn to spell like a Sox fan if you're going to put that out there so boldly.

QUOTE(SouthsideNorthsideFan @ Oct 15, 2006 -> 02:54 PM)
Pinella wasn't talking about finding wallets. It was a metaphor - regarding their big money players & Scutaro.

Lyons was insinuating that Spanish speaking folks are likely thieves. BIG difference.

And learn to spell like a Sox fan if you're going to put that out there so boldly.

Lou's metaphor sucked, Steve's attempt at humor was lame, Fox overreacted. Lyons wasn't insinuating that spanish speaking folks are thieves, merely that Lou was (or could be, which was the lame attempt at humor). And my spelling has nothing to do with Steve's lack of humor.

QUOTE(SouthsideNorthsideFan @ Oct 15, 2006 -> 09:54 AM)

Finding wallets is old time baseball talk for saying a player is lucky. Farmer uses it all the time on the Sox games.

Learn to use lingo like a Sox fan if you're going to put that out there so boldly.

As to Lyons, who knows what he had in his confused mind, he probably doesn't know himself. I find the Fox broadcasts in general and Lyons in particular very irritating, this is as good an excuse as any to get him off the air.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Oct 15, 2006 -> 06:11 AM)
I believe his family originated from Spain.

Lou is American born in Tampa. His grandfather was a Spanish immigrant, however his (Lou's) nationality is Portugese. No idea on where his parents were born.

Sounds to me like Lyons' should definitely been suspended...probably for the rest of the season and then bring him back next year if he doesn't resign on his own.

And as for Lou...if you think he's pissed about THAT comment, wait until he's managing the Cubs next year....

For those tossing Lyon's name out there with our radio job, I'd just like to point out that Lyon's does a good chunk of work with the Dodgers on TV.

Scully only does a few innings a game. To be honest I'm not quite sure how the Dodgers booth works, but you have Scully at times and at other times you have Lyon's and a former ESPN guy (whose name escapes me at the second).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 16, 2006 -> 02:46 PM)
For those tossing Lyon's name out there with our radio job, I'd just like to point out that Lyon's does a good chunk of work with the Dodgers on TV.

Scully only does a few innings a game. To be honest I'm not quite sure how the Dodgers booth works, but you have Scully at times and at other times you have Lyon's and a former ESPN guy (whose name escapes me at the second).

Charley Steiner, isn't it?

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Oct 16, 2006 -> 03:54 PM)
Also best SC blooper clip ever of him losing it when they played Carl Lewis singing the National Anthem

Agreed. Wasnt it Steiner and Bob Ley just laughing themselves to tears?

Has Lou said he was offended by the comments?

I think Lyons was on the bubble to begin with.

I heard that Pinella wasn't offended by what Lyons said, he took it as a joke from I understood. Although Lyons has done stuff like that before so he was probably already on thin ice.

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Oct 14, 2006 -> 04:09 PM)
It's the wallet comment, confirmed by the 'don't want to sit too close bit'. Implying Spanish speakers are thieves.

I guess I watched the wrong two games. I hate it when I miss the fireworks.

it wasn't that bad. Piniella compared Scutaro's success to finding a wallet. Lyons responded "I still can't find my wallet...I don't understand him, and I don't want to sit too close to him now.'' the "habla-ing espanol" thing was a little insensitive, but he was joking about the comparison Piniella made.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 16, 2006 -> 02:46 PM)

doesn't Scully do a few innings on TV, and do the rest for the radio broadcast?

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Oct 14, 2006 -> 10:31 PM)
Another possibility is that Piniella was pissed at the comments and Fox decided they'd rather burn their bridges with Lyons than with Piniella. Pure speculation, of course.

According to this article....i don't think Lou was pissed at all........

Piniella Says Lyons Was Just Kidding

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Fired Fox announcer Steve Lyons got backing on two fronts Tuesday: He can keep his part-time broadcasting job with the Los Angeles Dodgers if he completes diversity training, and Lou Piniella came to his defense.

Lyons was fired over the weekend for making a racially insensitive comment while on the air with Piniella during the AL championship series.

"There isn't a racist bone in his body. Not one," Piniella said after being introduced as manager of the Chicago Cubs. "I've known the guy personally. He was kidding with me, nothing more and nothing less."

Piniella called Lyons' firing "an unfortunate thing."

Lyons was dismissed after Friday's Game 3 of the ALCS between Oakland and Detroit.

The Dodgers said Lyons would remain on the job for FSN Prime Ticket "upon the completion of diversity training and under probationary guidelines." Lyons works with Charley Steiner on the 40-plus road games that Vin Scully doesn't do.

Piniella made an analogy during Friday's broadcast involving the luck of finding a wallet, then briefly used a couple of Spanish phrases.

Lyons said that Piniella was "hablaing" in "Espanol" - butchering the conjugation for the word "to speak" - and added, "I still can't find my wallet."

Lyons claimed he was kidding, and Piniella accepted that explanation.

"If I offended anybody, I'm truly sorry," Lyons said. "But my comment about Lou taking my wallet was a joke and in no way racially motivated."

The 46-year-old Lyons was a career .252 hitter with 19 home runs and 196 RBIs for Boston, the Chicago White Sox, Atlanta and Montreal.

I think Lyons got shafted for whatever reason.

Edited by juddling

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Oct 20, 2006 -> 12:27 PM)
I tell ya, this is the silliest thing I have seen in a long time. I'm still a bit confused on how anybody can see this as "racist". Lyon's comments are more confusing than anything else.

they're not confusing. think of it this way: Piniella made an odd reference, saying Scutaro's success it like finding a wallet. not a diamond in the rough, or a needle in a haystack, or even finding a $100 bill. rather, he said a WALLET.

Lyons made a crack at this reference, saying he still can't find his wallet and he doesn't want to sit too close to Piniella. he was calling Piniella a thief because of the wallet comment, not because of his ethnicity. it might've seemed that way to people who like to blow these things out of proportions because he butchered the Spanish language before that. now that was just stupid.