Remember Gerry Studds?

Rex Kickass

He was that Congressman who had the affair with the page back in 1983 and got reelected after being censured.... He died last week.

He's legally married in Massachussets. Congressmen receive a pension and after death, their spouse is entitled to death benefits equalling 50% of the pension.

Congressman Studds' spouse was denied this pension.

Because Congressman Studds' spouse is another man.

And whose fault is this? Bill Clinton's.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachus...ecause_hes_gay/

Equal people deserve equal rights. Democrats or Republicans.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Oct 18, 2006 -> 12:56 AM)
He was that Congressman who had the affair with the page back in 1983 and got reelected after being censured.... He died last week.

He's legally married in Massachussets. Congressmen receive a pension and after death, their spouse is entitled to death benefits equalling 50% of the pension.

I don't think congressmen deserve any pension on our dime, whichever way their dicks swing. Let them fend for themselves in ss like the rest of us suckers, or spend their own money on an IRA.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Oct 17, 2006 -> 07:56 PM)

I'm on the fence with this one with my concerns cutting both ways and just not over where they are legally married. Basically we are heading to a system that anyone could pick anyone else to pick up their benefits. Perhaps that is fair as those payments are built into the premiums. I'm leaning towards a system where each person is responsible for their own pensions first, and if they were being supported by another person, then some sort of survivor pension would kick in.

And finally, and I'm reluctant to toss this in, they have been married two years. I'm not certain how long their relationship may have lasted prior to being able to marry.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Oct 17, 2006 -> 09:24 PM)
I don't think congressmen deserve any pension on our dime, whichever way their dicks swing. Let them fend for themselves in ss like the rest of us suckers, or spend their own money on an IRA.

:cheers plus, I have to agree with Evil on that. Put your money where your future is.

QUOTE(Rex Kicka** @ Oct 17, 2006 -> 09:37 PM)
They were partnered for 25 years IIRC.

What kind of career did he have? Are we leaving this guy destitute? Hell, I don't know why that matters to me, but it does for some reason. I also have a problem with Billy Clinton picking up from Hillary. That seems wrong also.

From wiki

Studds and his partner since 1991, Dean T. Hara, were married in Boston on May 24, 2004, one week after same-sex marriages became legal in Massachusetts.[7]

To me, it doesn't and shouldn't matter to me. All that matters is that the rules apply equally across the board.

If Gerry Studds married Anna Nicole Smith 10 days before he died, this wouldn't have mattered. Anna Nicole would have gotten the death benefits. Not because of any other reason than she's a woman.

And I would find that objectionable.

Under the current rules it seems

Unfair because they are married, and the marriage happened to be in the state he represented.

Fair, bacause it is a federal pension and the federal government doesn't recognize those marriages.

QUOTE(EvilMonkey @ Oct 17, 2006 -> 09:24 PM)

Excellent post. If we actually looked at running the government a little more effeciently, this would be the kind of stuff going out the window too...

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 18, 2006 -> 12:09 PM)
Excellent post. If we actually looked at running the government a little more effeciently, this would be the kind of stuff going out the window too...

It will never happen. These eliteist pricks always protect themselves and don't give a crap about us. Maybe someday it will change. You want to go to Washington? :lol:

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Oct 18, 2006 -> 07:10 AM)
You want to go to Washington? :lol:

hmmm, they are contemplating a trip together, spend hours on AIM, and can complete the other's sentences. Maybe there is some diversity in GOPland :cheers

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 18, 2006 -> 12:35 PM)
hmmm, they are contemplating a trip together, spend hours on AIM, and can complete the other's sentences. Maybe there is some diversity in GOPland :cheers

You are a sick bastard. Sick, but funny. :lol:

Hey, we need a soxtalk candidate for Congress. :lol:

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Oct 18, 2006 -> 07:47 AM)
You are a sick bastard. Sick, but funny. :lol:

Hey, we need a soxtalk candidate for Congress. :lol:

I'll bet Rex can give you some tips in this relationship . . .

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Oct 18, 2006 -> 08:13 AM)
Meh, half of you morons wouldn't vote for me anyways :D

But being a Chicago-dominated board, the other half would vote two or three times, so it would balance out.