"Death of a President"

NorthSideSox72

So there is a movie coming out this week on a limited basis, called "Death of a President". It depicts the assassination of Dubya, in October of 2007.

Critics don't seem to think much of it:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/death_of_a_president/

But, it did win some kind of award at a film festival in Toronto (which means, well, nothing).

Here is what I'm curious about - how do people feel about this being a movie at all? A movie depicting the future murder of a sitting President is, suffice it to say, shocking to some. Some movie theatre companies are already saying they won't show it. Is it appropriate?

To me, I certainly have no problem with it in any legal sense. But I also have no problem with theatre companies deciding not to air it. Anyone else feel differently?

Will you see it?

Edited by NorthSideSox72

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 12:53 PM)
I won't go see it. Don't like the idea.

That's pretty much what I see. Freedom of Speech saids you allow it, unless they are encouraging the killing of the President. My personal feeling is that I would never pay to see it, and probably wouldn't even watch it if it were free.

I wouldn't see it, it seems poorly made and I generally dislike non-documentary political films. They always seem heavy handed and stupid, and this one seems no different. But I wouldn't want to stop a theatre from showing it either.

I appreciate living in a country that this can be filmed and shown. I also appreciate living in a country where I can choose not to watch this. I would really love to live in a country where no one went to see this movie.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 01:02 PM)
I appreciate living in a country that this can be filmed and shown. I also appreciate living in a country where I can choose not to watch this. I would really love to live in a country where no one went to see this movie.

Completly agree. Well said.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 03:57 PM)
This film is little more than a way for extreme leftists to vent their frustration at the fact that Bush is president. Sadly, there is a group of people out there who's hatred for the man is so strong that they actually would enjoy watching a film like this.

Kind of like the tail wagging the dog from Clinton's term.

So when you watch a film that depicts someone dying you have to hate the person? I wouldn't go so far as to say you have to hate the president to enjoy the film. The only thing that makes this different than say an episode of 24 or West Wing is they used an actual President instead of making one up. It's a big difference in my book, but I could see someone who enjoys a thriller and can get past that it's our current Commander in Chief.