Sox don't want to resign Riske

Reddy

David Riske-R- White Sox Oct. 30 - 8:17 am et

The White Sox probably won't re-sign potential free agent David Riske, the Daily Southtown suggests.

The Sox will need another right-handed set-up man with Brandon McCarthy expected to shift to the rotation, but they seemed to have no confidence in Riske and he didn't pitch much down the stretch, so Chicago is unlikely to bring him back.

Source: Daily Southtown

a couple other bits there about macdougal staying and boone and tracey maybe not staying - same with dustin

but as far as riske is concerned i thought he pitched really well for us and was one of our most consistant relievers... why dump him?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Reddy @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 11:03 AM)
... why dump him?

Because he was paid $1.8 million to be one of the last options out of the pen. He was fairly effective vs Righties (.224 BAA, 0.92 WHIP), but that may not be enough to keep him around.

Other than that, he could come back at a fair price if the Sox do not find someone else to fit that role. They will definitely need a RHP with McCarthy moving to the rotation.

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/sports/115761,1SPT2-29.article

Neal Cotts

Key 2006 stats: Allowed 12 homers in 54 innings, posted 5.17 ERA.

Here's the deal: Arguably the team's most reliable reliever in 2005, Cotts was its biggest enigma in 2006. There aren't many lefties who can throw in the mid-to-upper 90s (mph), so he's likely to return, but Cotts could still end up being part of a trade package this offseason since his stock is high because of his potential.

Does this writer even watch the Sox? Neal has never thrown mid 90's, let alone upper 90's. Man, do some frickin HW.

I saw nothing out of Riske this year that makes me want him back. Some people said he had lost some velocity over the past few years, and it was hard to disagree. He was just too hittable, especially if our other non-Jenks, non-Haeger righy out of the pen is MMac and he has a history of being hurt.

The bullpen next year should look like this:

Cl- Jenks

SU-Thorton

SU-Mac

MR-Cotts

MR-FA

MR-FA

LR-Haeger

We need two veteran arms in the pen. I am sick of having crap come in the 6th and 7th and give up the lead. Spend the $6 million or so it takes to get two veteran middle relievers. I would not mind Justin Speier and maybe even Foulke (if he would come back here, which I doubt.) Or get em through trades, but we need a solid bullpen that wont blow leads every game.

Edited by maggsmaggs

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 08:39 AM)
The bullpen next year should look like this:

Cl- Jenks

SU-Thorton

SU-Mac

MR-Cotts

MR-FA

MR-FA

LR-Haeger

We need two veteran arms in the pen. I am sick of having crap come in the 6th and 7th and give up the lead. Spend the $6 million or so it takes to get two veteran middle relievers. I would not mind Justin Speier and maybe even Foulke (if he would come back here, which I doubt.) Or get em through trades, but we need a solid bullpen that wont blow leads every game.

In 2006, the White Sox had the fewest bullpen innings in baseball. In 2005, the White Sox had the 2nd fewest bullpen innings in baseball. So I just can't figure out why this team would need to run withi a 7 man bullpen. The last guy out of the pen already gets almost no work whatsoever...spending a significant amount of cash on guys who just won't be pitching at all just doesn't seem like good business to me.

I wouldn't be upset with Riske's departure. He was keen to hanging his breaking ball during crucial moments of a game. However, Williams realistically has to obtain (via trade) or require atleast one more reliable arm.

What's going to be pitiful to observe is the competition for the lone relief position in spring training. You know we're going to enter March with one spot available, and all the usual talk will begin of "low risk, high reward" AAAA fodder attempting to make the team.

We'll all have to endure the typical cast of characters: 35 year old in the twilight of his career, 26 year old recovering from surgery -- yet hasn't regained previous velocity, 28 year old reject from team with bullpen issues, and a collection of minor league talent from our organization. Ultimately, it'll be a huge, steaming pile of cow dung. Can't wait!

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 09:08 AM)
I wouldn't be upset with Riske's departure. He was keen to hanging his breaking ball during crucial moments of a game. However, Williams realistically has to obtain (via trade) or require atleast one more reliable arm.

What's going to be pitiful to observe is the competition for the lone relief position in spring training. You know we're going to enter March with one spot available, and all the usual talk will begin of "low risk, high reward" AAAA fodder attempting to make the team.

We'll all have to endure the typical cast of characters: 35 year old in the twilight of his career, 26 year old recovering from surgery -- yet hasn't regained previous velocity, 28 year old reject from team with bullpen issues, and a collection of minor league talent from our organization. Ultimately, it'll be a huge, steaming pile of cow dung. Can't wait!

Are we totally sure that such a competition is actually going to happen? As far as I can tell, to my eyes Haeger already has a pretty solid hold on the last-spot out of the bullpen. That leaves us needing to find 1 right handed relief pitcher somewhere. In the last 2 years, KW has managed to find MacDougal, Thorton, and Jenks to fill out a majority of the bullpen, in addition to finding a couple other bargains-at-the-time in follks like Hermanson. We need to find 1 righty relief pitcher. That is not an overwhelming request.

I think Riske is underrated here (not that he was that good, just that he wasn't that bad.)

Jenks, Thornton, MacDougal, Cotts (just because he is left handed,) are all above Riske in the bullpen chain, and he's cheap. What's the big deal bringing him back around $2 million? I didn't realize he was that effective against right handers as well

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 08:26 AM)
Riske was basically a completely average reliever and at the moment that's really his upside. We want to upgrade and at worst have some guys with some upside in the pen, Riske just isn't good enough to keep around.

He's not bad if you are talking about using him as the mop up guy, but it appears that job will be handled by someone like Haeger.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 09:27 AM)
He's not bad if you are talking about using him as the mop up guy, but it appears that job will be handled by someone like Haeger.

Which is exactly the type of guy who should handle that role: young, $400k a year, project pitcher, who can give you quite a few innings if a game goes 17. Not a guy coming out of Free Agency who's certain to cost at least a couple times that much.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 11:24 AM)
What's the big deal bringing him back around $2 million? I didn't realize he was that effective against right handers as well

Aside from what Balta said, two million could make a noteable difference when you consider the raises players across the team will receive. Such an amount may be the deciding factor in drawing a FA to our ballclub.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 11:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aside from what Balta said, two million could make a noteable difference when you consider the raises players across the team will receive. Such an amount may be the deciding factor in drawing a FA to our ballclub.

I doubt it. People were saying this 500K from 7-11 "was no big deal." Is it a "big deal" to pay a guy who typical has an ERA in the 3's, a WHIP around 1.3 $1.5 million to be your 5th option out of the pen? Hell no.

I'd rather see Riske at $2 million instead of Tracey or Logan or some other flash in the bottle during spring training making less than 400 K in that role.

Then again we could spend that money on a backup catcher:

The Cubs are expected to try to re-sign free agent Henry Blanco.

They'd like him to reprise his role as Michael Barrett's backup, but there's speculation that White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen wants Blanco to back up A.J. Pierzynski.

Another little thing I feel about this...while Riske may have been tolerable against Righties, he's also a bit disappointing against lefties, who put up an .818 OPS against him last year.

Now, while Ozzie seems to obsess like crazy about the righty/lefty matchups when he's filling out his lineup, and when letting pitchers start innings, he's often struck me as not being nearly up to LaRussa's level when it comes to using a ROOGY the right way...1-2 batters and only against righties. He almost always seems to give whoever he brings in a couple of batters no matter the situation, at least to my eyes, which means that anyone we bring in would need to be able to face guys from both sides.

Why do we have to have so many guys making the league min in our bullpen? Is there some kind of rule I'm missing?

Cotts, Jenks, Thornton, Haeger, MacDougal are all cheap. Spending $2 million on a reliever is nothing regardless of what his role is. Look how much relievers have been getting the past few offseason.

The bullpen next season could cost $6 million next season and be:

Jenks-closer

Thorton and Cotts as LOOGY's and/or left handed setup man

MacDougal-right handed setup man

Riske-6/7th inning guy. (Our starters should still be expected to go 7 innings next year)

Haeger-long man

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 12:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another little thing I feel about this...while Riske may have been tolerable against Righties, he's also a bit disappointing against lefties, who put up an .818 OPS against him last year.

Now, while Ozzie seems to obsess like crazy about the righty/lefty matchups when he's filling out his lineup, and when letting pitchers start innings, he's often struck me as not being nearly up to LaRussa's level when it comes to using a ROOGY the right way...1-2 batters and only against righties. He almost always seems to give whoever he brings in a couple of batters no matter the situation, at least to my eyes, which means that anyone we bring in would need to be able to face guys from both sides.

Your sample size is 16 batters, or about 5 innings of work

Riske shouldn't be used in late situations where managers focus on the lefty/lefty and righty/righty matchups. Everytime when Ozzie started to use the LOOGY in the 6th or 7th inning, he got burned. Remember the Shingo 3 HR in the 9th against Cleveland? That was due to Ozzie overmanaging.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Oct 30, 2006 -> 10:03 AM)
Why do we have to have so many guys making the league min in our bullpen? Is there some kind of rule I'm missing?

Because every single guy on your roster making the league minimum helps you spend money somewhere else. And even if we trade 1 starter, we're still spending $40 million on the starting rotation, 12 m on Konerko, 5 m on Dye, Pierzynski, etc.

We're already close to having $100 million committed to people already. And guys like Buehrle, Dye, Crede, Iguchi are going to be due raises, especially if we want Buehrle and Dye to not walk at the end of 07 for nothing.

One of the reasons we need to have cheap guys in our bullpen is that we have spent money somewhere else. We can probably afford to fit in 1 guy making a couple million next year if we have to, but it's going to be a much bigger improvement if we spend that money on someone who puts up better numbers than Riske out there.