More bad vibes regarding Brian Anderson

fathom

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 3, 2006 -> 02:22 AM)
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-home-headlines

Hopefully the stomach ailment is nothing serious. On the other hand, the countdown until the Sox get a new centerfielder is about 15 days and countin.

Sounds like Montezuma's revenge. Didn't they tell him not to drink the water down there?

From reading that snippet from Gonzalez, it sure seems like Anderson is on the way out.

Well that's it. There is something going on with Anderson in the clubhouse that we haven't been told yet. Either #1, he's lazy, or #2, he's a complete jackass and pissed off his whole team, or #3 a (the D-angelo Jimenez as I like to call it) combination of both

I mean think about it, the Sox were willing to put a guy out there all of the time who self-admitedly could not play CF over Brian. I have no doubts something extra is going on there...

Edited by southsider2k5

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 3, 2006 -> 07:40 AM)
Well that's it. There is something going on with Anderson in the clubhouse that we haven't been told yet. Either #1, he's lazy, or #2, he's a complete jackass and pissed off his whole team, or #3 a (the D-angelo Jimenez as I like to call it) combination of both

I mean think about it, the Sox were willing to put a guy out there all of the time who self-admitedly could not play CF over Brian. I have no doubts something extra is going on there...

i think you hit this on the head ss2k5. this is odd that the organization was so "behind" him. However, i dont think he's a jackass, from everything I've seen he fit in well with the club. i think the problem is that he plain can't hit.

looking like another wasted number one pick.

we do that too much.

if they're going to trade him, my worry is his value has dropped so much he's little more than a throw in. They better find somebody else because we know robby mack ain't the answer.

but I fear they're going to stick Sweeney in center. don't believe he's ready for that.

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Nov 3, 2006 -> 10:17 AM)
looking like another wasted number one pick.

we do that too much.

if they're going to trade him, my worry is his value has dropped so much he's little more than a throw in. They better find somebody else because we know robby mack ain't the answer.

but I fear they're going to stick Sweeney in center. don't believe he's ready for that.

Not completely wasted. He still has value. He'll help bring back something good in a trade. But for us and our CF problems, yes it looks like it was wasted. But maybe Brian will help solve our CF problems through a trade...

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 3, 2006 -> 05:40 AM)

Kenny likes him but the vibe I continued to get was that Ozzie wasn't going to use him nor is he a big fan. I can't necessarily blame him cause he has one of the most dreadful swings/approaches in all of baseball.

I've said a lot this year that I expect us to have a new CF and almost every one of my off-season lineups has not included Anderson (unless we seriously upgrade SS and LF with speed) because the writing seems to be on the wall.

I expect him to be dealt along with one of our pitchers in a deal that helps get us a potential young star. Maybe a Michael Young. I could also see a Brian Anderson for Chone Figgins deal. The Angels drasticaly want to upgrade there defense in CF and Anderson could be that guy, but only if they are able to get offense elsewhere (Ramirez and maybe someone else). But Anderson would be an asset considering how crappy Vladdy/Anderson are in LF/RF.

QUOTE(Scwible @ Nov 3, 2006 -> 08:40 AM)
I'm with SS as well. Something has to be going on in the organization about BA. Mack says he isn't the best center fielder but yet they keep trotting him out there as BA sits on the bench, with no time to improve at anything.

It was because of the absolute lack of productive outs. Ozzie was dumb and BA should have been playing more but you can go around and talk to any scout and they'll tell you if BA doens't make serious adjustments he'll never hit in this league (the tools are there, but he has some serious adjustments to make to his swing).

I was shocked his swing worked in AA and AAA because I think a lot of scouts were expecting a hiccup there and than he'd be able to make adjustments a couple years ago, but it kept working and now he will have to make them at the major league level.

I do not buy into the BA will be a superstar though. But I do think with hard work he can be one of the better all around CF's in the game (solid avg, solid pop...terrific defense).

They sure are quick to give Anderson the 'ol heave-ho. Like many have said already, there must be something we don't know. The man hit very well in the 2nd half, and the only reason his average was so low was because of his dreadful first half. As for the low power numbers, it was his first full season! Give me a break. The White Sox are usually good about sticking with young players, so there HAS to be something else to this story.

And for that little blurb about McCarthy's relief role, he wasn't as bad as they made him sound. He's the Ben Gordon of the White Sox bullpen: when he's hot he's not. When he's not....he's f'ing ice cold! Bomb after bomb. Really not worth getting worked up over, as he'll be in the rotation in '07, but that comment (from the article) surprised me a bit.

QUOTE(SoxFan76 @ Nov 3, 2006 -> 05:18 PM)
They sure are quick to give Anderson the 'ol heave-ho. Like many have said already, there must be something we don't know. The man hit very well in the 2nd half, and the only reason his average was so low was because of his dreadful first half. As for the low power numbers, it was his first full season! Give me a break. The White Sox are usually good about sticking with young players, so there HAS to be something else to this story.

Very well? We can say he improved over his dreadful first half, but he was far too inconsistent with the bat, and really wasn't a factor on offense the entire year.

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 3, 2006 -> 11:31 AM)
Very well? We can say he improved over his dreadful first half, but he was far too inconsistent with the bat, and really wasn't a factor on offense the entire year.

In July and August he hit .313 and .296 respectively, before having a dreaful September/October. I ain't trying to say he carried the team, but those are good signs from a rookie who started out hitting well below the Mendoza (or Uecker) line. As time progresses, he will start doing that for more than 2 months a season. It's a growing process most rookies go through unless you're Ryan Howard or Albert Pujols.

To be hitting .170 for a lot of the season and manage to get your average up to .225...all things considered, that's pretty good.

At the most, we can say that he improved in the second half. He went from absolutely horrible hitting in the first half to merely bad hitting in the second half.

Pre-ASB: .192/.280/.324/.604

Post-ASB: .257/.301/.393/.694

That's not a good, or even decent second half. He improved, so maybe he'll continue to improve next year, but let's not pretend that he hit particularly well at any point last season.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 3, 2006 -> 11:07 AM)
I do not buy into the BA will be a superstar though. But I do think with hard work he can be one of the better all around CF's in the game (solid avg, solid pop...terrific defense).

He can be Aaron Rowand, though, which I believe many people would be fine with.

On a side note, 20 pounds in two weeks...jesus.

I find it extremely hard to believe Anderson was problematic in the clubhouse, after all the interviews he seemed just like any young kid I know. Very exuberant, very excited, loving life.

Odds are, this "vibe" coming from the Sox Organization is the fact that he was absolutely terrible last season and theres a serious question of whether he should stay or go.

Everybody talks about how important McCarthy is because of his salary, why isn't Anderson important? Trade Uribe, upgrade at short and leave center field alone and you save money there.. No?

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 3, 2006 -> 10:27 AM)
It's official: Brian Anderson is indeed a communist.

I'm never wrong.

If he's moved, something was indeed up. We've been so willing to bring up guys like Crede and Rowand to let them develop at their own pace, more or less - more than one season as well. There has to be something that we don't know about.