More bad vibes regarding Brian Anderson

fathom

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 3, 2006 -> 06:19 PM)
The writing is on the wall....Juan Pierre will be our starting CF next year.

I wouldn't mind him in LF. BTW does the Sox current LF have any trade value whatsoever? I would think he could fetch a B or C prospect at best.

Edited by Dick Allen

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Disco72 @ Nov 3, 2006 -> 06:47 PM)
Anderson has struggled worse than the others? Crede nor Rowand were never this bad? Now that is a bit of exaggeration. People have short memories.

Anderson would be fine if Uribe and Pods would have done anything to help this team. Some of the players below were in their first full year, others had the year after a couple of years. Ventura was putrid when he first came up (0-41, I think).

I'm not saying BA is going to be a Ventura, a Crede, or even a Rowand or Cameron...but I think it is kind of hard to judge where he is going to end up after one season.

To be fair, I could have put the Jeff Abbotts and the McCay Christensens here too as they were bad and never got better.

Robin Ventura 1990 Chicago White Sox 150 493 48 123 17 1 5 54 157 55 53 1 4 .324 .318 .249

Mike Cameron 1998 Chicago White Sox 141 396 53 83 16 5 8 43 133 37 101 27 11 .285 .336 .210

Royce Clayton 2002 Chicago White Sox 112 342 51 86 14 2 7 35 125 20 67 5 1 .295 .365 .251

Aaron Rowand 2002 Chicago White Sox 126 302 41 78 16 2 7 29 119 12 54 0 1 .298 .394 .258

Paul Konerko 2003 Chicago White Sox 137 444 49 104 19 0 18 65 177 43 50 0 0 .305 .399 .234

Miguel Olivo 2003 Chicago White Sox 114 317 37 75 19 1 6 27 114 19 80 6 4 .287 .360 .237

Joe Crede 2004 Chicago White Sox 144 490 67 117 25 0 21 69 205 34 81 1 2 .299 .418 .239

Jose Valentin 2004 Chicago White Sox 125 450 73 97 20 3 30 70 213 43 139 8 6 .287 .473 .216

Timo Perez 2004 Chicago White Sox 103 293 38 72 12 0 5 40 99 15 29 3 1 .285 .338 .246

Brian Anderson 2006 Chicago White Sox 134 365 46 82 23 1 8 33 131 30 90 4 7 .290 .359 .225

If he is having troubles other than his stats, fine. If he refuses to adjust, ok. But don't write him off on his bad year based on stats alone.

I wasn't writing him off. I've been a fan of Anderson the whole year, and I still am. But yes, his year, as a whole, is one of the worst years in the recent history of the Sox. I'm well aware that it's not The Perfect Measure Of Performance, but as a rough-and-ready guide, look at OPS+. Excluding catchers, how many players have had a worse OPS+ with as many abs as Anderson? Among the opening day starters, going back about 10 years, there's that season by Cameron that you put up, then Caruso, then this Guillen fellow. (I think that's it -- I'm recalling from earlier.) I was focusing on those starters, so admittedly, I wasn't really looking at, say, Timo. But no matter what, it's a short list. Of the list you put up, some are definitely better offensive seasons than Anderson's -- Rowand, Konerko, Crede, Valentin.

I have no problem with Anderson as our starting cf next year. But there's no way anyone can look at his hitting this year, over the entire year, and say it was anything but wretched.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Nov 4, 2006 -> 12:23 AM)
I wouldn't mind him in LF. BTW does the Sox current LF have any trade value whatsoever? I would think he could fetch a B or C prospect at best.

To the Padres to replace Dave Roberts? Maybe we could get Jon Adkins back for him. :P

QUOTE(ptatc @ Nov 3, 2006 -> 01:09 PM)
I disagree. Rowand is a 270-280 hitter with 15-20 HR per year. I think that is very attainable for BA. It was a rookie year. He'll adjust just like all players must do to be successful. BA's 2nd half ave was 257. Rowand hit about 262 for the year limited to the nose and ankle injuries. BA's defense will also be better than Rowand over the course of his career.

There you go being reasonable again! The vibe I get from watching Brian is he didn't earn his keep in the eyes of the manager or his teamates. The GM annointed him the starting Cf and left the manager with few alternatives. Then Brian just never pitched in, every at bat looked the same to me, no matter the score or the situation. I think he was just too green for a team defending a trophy, but he is certainly worth hanging on to, boy, can he run down a ball. As I've said, I'd bring in a legit CF and if Brian is as good as he and KW seen to think he is, all he's got to do is play better than him. I'd have liked that bar set higher than Luis Terrero but the off season is young and more can happen, so we'll see.

My gosh Gonzalez is an idiot. In what world is Jerry Owens a top prospect? In what world would Jerry Owens be an acceptable starting CFer for a team aspiring for a World Series?

Can't this team have but one intelligent beat reporter...?

EDIT: Damn, it was Gregor who said it. Yikes. Point remains the same.

BTW, I don't see how this can be used against Anderson. Losing 20 pounds in two weeks is a helluva lot of weight to drop. I don't blame BA at all.

And still no quotes on the topic from KW, unless I'm missing one. While Guillen continues to rave on and on about BA, the man with the brains hasn't said a word regarding Anderson. IMO, it'd be a pretty short sighted decision to dump Anderson after one year, especially (like Heads said) considering that Williams more or less chose Anderson over Chris Young.

If there's a better bang for your buck CFer out there (combining baserunning, defense, and offense), than go get him. I don't see that guy on the free agent market. It's certainly not the one year wonder Gary Matthews, and definitely not Pierre when he gets $8 million a year.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 5, 2006 -> 07:18 PM)
There is one more possible explaination, if a player on another team suddenly lost 20 pounds and his team soured on him, what would we be saying? :ph34r:

well, if he was on juice i'd hate to see his numbers (unless those numbers came from him playing for the twins) clean.

the guy couldn't hit at all last year.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Nov 4, 2006 -> 07:30 PM)
My gosh Gonzalez is an idiot. In what world is Jerry Owens a top prospect? In what world would Jerry Owens be an acceptable starting CFer for a team aspiring for a World Series?

Can't this team have but one intelligent beat reporter...?

EDIT: Damn, it was Gregor who said it. Yikes. Point remains the same.

BTW, I don't see how this can be used against Anderson. Losing 20 pounds in two weeks is a helluva lot of weight to drop. I don't blame BA at all.

And still no quotes on the topic from KW, unless I'm missing one. While Guillen continues to rave on and on about BA, the man with the brains hasn't said a word regarding Anderson. IMO, it'd be a pretty short sighted decision to dump Anderson after one year, especially (like Heads said) considering that Williams more or less chose Anderson over Chris Young.

If there's a better bang for your buck CFer out there (combining baserunning, defense, and offense), than go get him. I don't see that guy on the free agent market. It's certainly not the one year wonder Gary Matthews, and definitely not Pierre when he gets $8 million a year.

Well if Ozzie is looking for speed how about W.Taveres from houston ? Hes about to turn 25 in December and Houston maybe looking for pitching depending the 2 geriatrics who cannot make up their minds if they want to make millions again next year . Taveras #s arent the best but he does have potential and can steal bases .The only prob. with him is he might be a bit of a pie thrower for CF.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Nov 5, 2006 -> 07:18 PM)
There is one more possible explaination, if a player on another team suddenly lost 20 pounds and his team soured on him, what would we be saying? :ph34r:

Umm, a guy losing twenty pounds in a week is usually pretty easy to figure out that he can't keep anything down him. If he lost twenty pounds over a winter, that would be different. Also you kinda have the timeline backwards because the Sox soured on Brian THEN he got sick and lost twenty pounds... but nice try anyway Jay ;)

What was the quote from the beginning of the year? "Brian could hit .230 and it wouldn't matter as long as he plays defense" or something along those lines?

When the f*** did those expectations change?

Somehow I don't think BA's hitting is at the top or even near the top of the list of the reasons why this team missed the postseason. The team underperformed because of inconsistent pitching, both starting and relief.

If Anderson was liked in the clubhouse, this would've all been written off by Ozzie and Kenny as "rookie year" and "not the reason the team missed the playoffs". There's clearly a rift, and it's clearly personal not professional. Everyone knew that when Ozzie said in late August that Anderson wasn't doing anything offensively (he was on fire at the time).

The only negative I have ever heard about BA is that he likes to party. He would be out late drinking and having a good time until 3 or 4 in the morning with his "hunnies". I mean the kid is just enjoying his youth, but baseball and the team have to come first. Frineds of mine would spot him out real late with a game the following day. I also heard this from a friend that works in the Sox front office. Take it for what it is.

Edited by Soxman72

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Nov 6, 2006 -> 05:27 AM)
What was the quote from the beginning of the year? "Brian could hit .230 and it wouldn't matter as long as he plays defense" or something along those lines?

When the f*** did those expectations change?

When Ozzie decided he would rather play the worst defensive CF in baseball every time there was a righty on the mound despite the fact that the other guy didn't hit any better than Anderson in the 2nd half.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 6, 2006 -> 06:40 AM)
Umm, a guy losing twenty pounds in a week is usually pretty easy to figure out that he can't keep anything down him. If he lost twenty pounds over a winter, that would be different. Also you kinda have the timeline backwards because the Sox soured on Brian THEN he got sick and lost twenty pounds... but nice try anyway Jay ;)

:D just pointing out how theories change based on what color uniform they are wearing. He needs to fire his agent and hire Boras, he'd have some team offering him $35/4 money

QUOTE(Soxman72 @ Nov 6, 2006 -> 10:15 AM)
The only negative I have ever heard about BA is that he likes to party. He would be out late drinking and having a good time until 3 or 4 in the morning with his "hunnies". I mean the kid is just enjoying his youth, but baseball and the team have to come first. Frineds of mine would spot him out real late with a game the following day. I also heard this from a friend that works in the Sox front office. Take it for what it is.

Hers an idea. Dont trade him. Open up a new position for him "Fight Coordinator"! I heard John Mabry has given BA his full endorsement . Lets face it BA hits alot better with his fists than his bat , at least for now anyway .

I think Brian is staying and all this talk is nonsense. Writers need something to stir up and it's Brian Anderson getting some stomach ailment, losing weight and leaving the team. Heck I think he did what was right. If your sick go to a real Doctor for treatment. tell me where/when did BA make a fuss? I didn't hear anything from the team either and both ozzie and KW aren't shy about telling someone their pissed off.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Nov 6, 2006 -> 04:19 PM)
I think Brian is staying and all this talk is nonsense. Writers need something to stir up and it's Brian Anderson getting some stomach ailment, losing weight and leaving the team. Heck I think he did what was right. If your sick go to a real Doctor for treatment. tell me where/when did BA make a fuss? I didn't hear anything from the team either and both ozzie and KW aren't shy about telling someone their pissed off.

I think Brian Anderson needs to get a chance to start at QB for the Bears. Grossman clearly can't cut it.

QUOTE(cgaudin @ Nov 7, 2006 -> 03:54 PM)
McCarthy is way overrated, we could get good product for him. Trade him now, while he still has value.

McCarthy might be overrated for some, but overall he comes in as the #5 starter, with a very low salary which increases his value tenfold. If the Sox move him the payroll will be too high and the Sox will get instantly older.

As a team you have to bring in youth every year, otherwise you will hit a wall where all your players are old veterans making way too much money.

Would you rather have Garcia for $10 million or Dye, Iguchi, Jenks, and McCarthy for the same price?