White Sox Sign Outfielder Luis Terrero

J-MAN

I saw him in the minors and the majors this year, and he looked bad. I know that the artist formerly known as JimH was hoping we'd sign this guy during the course of the 2006 season. It's pretty shameful that we'll give him a 40 man spot, but not Heath Phillips (unless I haven't heard the latest news).

He was signed so that he would have a chance to earn a spot on the bench as a backup CF and all around OF defensive replacement. Basically they are considering him to fill the role that Mack had. I don't think this gives us any insight into what KW is thinking about the CF position.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Nov 3, 2006 -> 05:03 PM)
Meh.

Yes fathom Jim and I wanted him last spring as a defensive replacement in the outfield. Nice to know Jim's legendary status is still alive. Good signing, low pay, young guy, with good defense and some pop in his bat. He can come in the late innings. We will need this as Andersens days could be with another team. :D I am sure all you youngsters with andersen on your jerseys just dropped your hooch. Thats my step out for the year. See you in next month.

sorry for the response to the wrong guy. as I get older my site gets worse.

Makes Mackowiak expendable in the right deal, because I think Terrero will end up winning a bench spot for the simple fact he's a good defensive CF, which KW said one of the needs he needed to address for the bench in the off-season.

EDIT: The guy also hit .318/.367/.560 in 302 AB's for AAA Ottawa after a 0 for 19 start. If he can handle the bat alright at the major league level as a backup outfielder, it's a good signing.

Edited by DBAH0

QUOTE(fathom @ Nov 3, 2006 -> 10:04 PM)
I saw him in the minors and the majors this year, and he looked bad. I know that the artist formerly known as JimH was hoping we'd sign this guy during the course of the 2006 season. It's pretty shameful that we'll give him a 40 man spot, but not Heath Phillips (unless I haven't heard the latest news).

I quickly wanted to add that his stats got a lot better after I saw him play. I do remember him facing Cotts this year at the big league level, and he K'd weakly on 3 pitches.

White Sox signed outfielder Luis Terrero, who had been with the Orioles, to a one-year, $410,000 contract.

Terrero's chances of making an impact with the Orioles last season were undone by an 0-for-19 start. The 26-year-old hit .318/.367/.560 in 302 at-bats with Triple-A Ottawa, and since he's a fine defender in center field, there's every reason to believe he can be a useful reserve outfielder. He might even get a chance to compete for a starting job with Brian Anderson, Ryan Sweeney and Jerry Owens if the White Sox can't upgrade. It's a nice little signing for GM Ken Williams.

from rotoworld...

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 3, 2006 -> 05:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Makes Mackowiak expendable in the right deal, because I think Terrero will end up winning a bench spot for the simple fact he's a good defensive CF, which KW said one of the needs he needed to address for the bench in the off-season.

EDIT: The guy also hit .318/.367/.560 in 302 AB's for AAA Ottawa after a 0 for 19 start. If he can handle the bat alright at the major league level as a backup outfielder, it's a good signing.

Please.

Mack is very underrated here and it's too bad Ozzie's misuse of him makes people want him off the team or think can be replaced rather easily.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Nov 3, 2006 -> 11:16 PM)
Please.

Mack is very underrated here and it's too bad Ozzie's misuse of him makes people want him off the team or think can be replaced rather easily.

Could not agree more. It can be argued that Mackowiak was the top bench player in all of baseball last season, a guy like that is not easily replaced.

Could not agree more. It can be argued that Mackowiak was the top bench player in all of baseball last season, a guy like that is not easily replaced.

Please. In his last 3 seasons his OPS has been .739, .726, and .769. Add poor defense to that and you have a decent bench player who is easily replaceable.

According to the Associated Press, Terrero would earn $410,000 if he plays in the Majors next season and $78,000 if he is assigned to the Minors.

So if the Sox are counting on him making the team, either Anderson or Mackowiak are gone.

Let the KW games begin.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Nov 4, 2006 -> 01:11 AM)

Could this mean Mack starting in LF and Terrero as a Defensive replacement OF?

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Nov 4, 2006 -> 04:16 PM)
Please.

Right now I think there's only 1 spot for either Ross Gload or Rob Mackowiak (unless a guy like Cintron is traded, but then you need another infielder).

Here's how I see the bench;

C - Blanco or Stewart

Cintron

Ozuna

Then you have 2 spots for Gload, Mackowiak or Terrero, if you carry 11 pitchers (if I added that up right). And I think Terrero is going to be given a good chance to win a backup OF job for the simple fact he can handle CF defensively which Kenny Williams has said was something he needed to address.

Who knows, Kenny could bring in someone else maybe even.