2008 Presidential Announcement Thread.

Rex Kickass

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Feb 8, 2007 -> 12:36 AM)
Aw, c'mon. Savage is freaking hilarious! Although, not on purpose. I am all for strict border security, but listening to him rant about illegal aliens and our porous border is entertainment at its finest.

OK: fair enough. Savage is unintentionally funny. I remember he was attacking Bush for being a pussy ON September 11, 2001 by the way. (I worked at a talk station carrying him at the time)

But Franken could actually be funny... and "Rush Limbaugh is a big fat idiot" actually was funny. His radio show was coma inducing.

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its become an interesting new feature of politics, and now with our Presidential campaigns underway, its coming more to the forefront there as well: bloggers as "personalities". A couple of Edwards' campaign bloggers resigned this week, after being called bigots by conservatives for some of their remarks.

I wonder how this part of campaigning, likely to take hold this cycle, will effect the race.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 12:46 PM)

His positions are rather generic that I'm sure John McCain could use the same responses.

In summary, he wants the world to be a better place, and has several areas that he wants to improve, but I'm sure candidates on the other side of the politiical aisle say the same things.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 05:17 PM)
His positions are rather generic that I'm sure John McCain could use the same responses.

In summary, he wants the world to be a better place, and has several areas that he wants to improve, but I'm sure candidates on the other side of the politiical aisle say the same things.

You're exactly right.

QUOTE(Chet Lemon @ Feb 16, 2007 -> 11:01 PM)
Exactly, Obama is like all the other presidential candidates including Republicans. Get off the fence and take some non-generic positions Obama!

thing is, i just dont think he has non-generic positions... i think he's riding this wave or charisma, race and youth right now... not sure how long it'll last

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 14, 2007 -> 09:41 AM)
Its become an interesting new feature of politics, and now with our Presidential campaigns underway, its coming more to the forefront there as well: bloggers as "personalities". A couple of Edwards' campaign bloggers resigned this week, after being called bigots by conservatives for some of their remarks.

I wonder how this part of campaigning, likely to take hold this cycle, will effect the race.

Have you read any of the stuff those two have written? I think you would have probably come to the same conclusion. Those two write for shock value, and seem shocked that it came back to bite them in the ass.

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Feb 18, 2007 -> 01:03 PM)
Have you read any of the stuff those two have written? I think you would have probably come to the same conclusion. Those two write for shock value, and seem shocked that it came back to bite them in the ass.

The bloggers were scumbags, and it does goes back to what Edwards was thinking when he hired them, and then, at first, refused to fire them when this story came out. Not surprisingly, this story wasn't widely reported by mainstream media.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Feb 18, 2007 -> 04:33 PM)
The bloggers were scumbags, and it does goes back to what Edwards was thinking when he hired them, and then, at first, refused to fire them when this story came out. Not surprisingly, this story wasn't widely reported by mainstream media.

Wasn't reported? It was out there for me to find in multiple locations. Considering it was just a couple employees of a campaign staff, I'd say it was overreported for what it was.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 18, 2007 -> 05:31 PM)
Wasn't reported? It was out there for me to find in multiple locations. Considering it was just a couple employees of a campaign staff, I'd say it was overreported for what it was.

it was on a Presidental candidates officail blog website. you think if McCain had blogs on his site calling black people the N word it wouldn't have been the MAIN news storty for atleast a week? it would have been.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 18, 2007 -> 05:31 PM)

If that was McCain, Clinton or Guiliani, that would have been more widely reported. Sure you could find it if you if you're into politics, but it wasn't a top story. Maybe it shouldn't have been a top story, I'll agree, but when the race for '08 is beginning so early, I was surprised it wasn't more easily found.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Feb 18, 2007 -> 06:13 PM)
it was on a Presidental candidates officail blog website. you think if McCain had blogs on his site calling black people the N word it wouldn't have been the MAIN news storty for atleast a week? it would have been.

N-word? Perhaps I missed something here. What are you talking about? I don't think the bloggers mentioned anything on that scale.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Feb 18, 2007 -> 07:01 PM)
If that was McCain, Clinton or Guiliani, that would have been more widely reported. Sure you could find it if you if you're into politics, but it wasn't a top story. Maybe it shouldn't have been a top story, I'll agree, but when the race for '08 is beginning so early, I was surprised it wasn't more easily found.

My link as you see is from Yahoo, off AP, in the national political news. sounds pretty mainstream to me.

This media conspiracy thing is ridiculous.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 18, 2007 -> 07:32 PM)
N-word? Perhaps I missed something here. What are you talking about? I don't think the bloggers mentioned anything on that scale.

i sure many Christains would find the blog just as offensive as the N word. so exactly who can be and can't be offended? would an vicious, anti-gay blog on a presidential candidates site be news? where are you drawing the line?

it doesn't really matter how much media attention it got, IMO. If Edwards is the Dem candidate It'll be great ammo for his opponent in half the country.

:lol:

yea, ok. if you say so it must be true.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Feb 18, 2007 -> 07:52 PM)
i sure many Christains would find the blog just as offensive as the N word.

:lol:

yea, ok. if you say so it must be true.

I don't put the words of those bloggers on the same scale as the N-word.

But I think ridiculous is a perfect word to describe the supposed mediea aspect to this. I link to an article in the mainstream press, one of a series of them following the story over a week or two, all on AP wire via Yahoo, and listed among the 3 lead national political stories on Yahoo news. And then there are cries of I can't believe this wasn't more highlighted in the press. Even when evidence clearly states otherwise. Its true because of the evidence, not because I say so.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 18, 2007 -> 07:32 PM)

My link as you see is from Yahoo, off AP, in the national political news. sounds pretty mainstream to me.

Without going into details on her blog, she has catagories called 'Impeache the f***er' and'censure the f***er', surely not the type of language needed for someone representing a Presidential candidate. She is also being accused of 'cleaning' her archives by some of the very bloggers who first noted her history.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 18, 2007 -> 07:59 PM)
I don't put the words of those bloggers on the same scale as the N-word.

But I think ridiculous is a perfect word to describe the supposed mediea aspect to this. I link to an article in the mainstream press, one of a series of them following the story over a week or two, all on AP wire via Yahoo, and listed among the 3 lead national political stories on Yahoo news. And then there are cries of I can't believe this wasn't more highlighted in the press. Even when evidence clearly states otherwise. Its true because of the evidence, not because I say so.

first, where are drawing the line to whats offensive and news? How about slurs against the muslim religion? homophobic slurs?

the MSM is more often than not in support of Democrats and their policies. if you do not wish to acknowledge this, than thats fine with me. this argument has already been gone over way too many times on this board.

i doubt anyone will be changing their mind on the issue. you think our views on this are ridiculous, and i think the same of yours.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE(Alpha Dog @ Feb 18, 2007 -> 08:02 PM)
Without going into details on her blog, she has catagories called 'Impeache the f***er' and'censure the f***er', surely not the type of language needed for someone representing a Presidential candidate. She is also being accused of 'cleaning' her archives by some of the very bloggers who first noted her history.

Oh I agree she deserved to be fired, and that it was newsworthy. And she was fired, and it was in the news.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Feb 18, 2007 -> 08:05 PM)
first, where are drawing the line to whats offensive and news? How about slurs against the muslim religion? homophobic slurs?

the MSM is more often than not in support of Democrats and their policies. if you do not wish to acknowledge this, than thats fine with me. this argument has already been gone over way too many times on this board.

i doubt anyone will be changing their mind on the issue. you think our views on this are ridiculous, and i think the same of yours.

I wasn't referencing the whole discussion of media bias - just this specific issue. In this specific case, I don't see how the issue was over-reported or under-reported in any significant way.

And you are correct, we've been over the ground before, about the issue in general. One clarification though - I do agree that the MSM in general has a slight port list, which I am sure effects the journalism to varying degrees (the worse the journalist is, the more their own bias leaks into their writing of course). I just don't think its nearly as dramatic as its made out to be.

7 of the 8 Dems running for Prez had their first forum, in Nevada.

Mostly good to each other, except Edwards, who was a bit snide towards Hilary. I think its interesting that Richardson proposed the no-negative campaign promise, since I think he'd actually benefit more than others from the daggers.

Obama was the one no-show - he was campaigning in Iowa.

Edited by NorthSideSox72