Mark DeRosa

klaus kinski

QUOTE(klaus kinski @ Nov 14, 2006 -> 09:01 PM)
ESPN reports he has agreed to 3 year deal with the Cubs.

The reports says 3 years for 13 million.

At least they are busy-but this guy had 1 good year and they give that kind of $ away.

That's less money than I thought he would get. I have a feeling that the Cubs are going to be the most active participant in free agency this offseason, for better of for worse.

Here's Rotoworld's take:

The Cubs and Mark DeRosa have agreed to terms on a three-year deal worth about $13 million, ESPN's Buster Olney reports.

It's way too much of a commitment to someone who only figures to be an asset against left-handers. A platoon of Jacque Jones and DeRosa in right field would be very productive, but the Cubs are probably going to give DeRosa a chance to be their primary second baseman. DeRosa turns 32 in February and is a career .260/.316/.366 hitter against righties (to put that in perspective, Neifi Perez is a career .268/.298/.376 hitter). Versus lefties, he has an impressive .306/.367/.497 line.

Didn't the Cubs play the secondbaseman game last year?

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Nov 14, 2006 -> 03:44 PM)
Him and Gary Matthews are going to love Texas forever. A couple of early 30 somethings who can't hit but are really good defenders have a great year in a hitting ballpark and get way overpaid. He'll fit right in with the Cubs though, light hitter, doesn't walk much, strikes out a ton.

I don't think of DeRosa as a really good defender. As a matter of fact I would say he is an average 2B and below average at the other positions he has played such as SS, 3B or the OF.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE(ptatc @ Nov 14, 2006 -> 03:54 PM)
I don't of DeRosa as a really good defrender. As a matter of fact I would say he an average 2B and below average at the other positions he has played such as SS, 3B or the OF.

I've hardly seen him play since he hasn't been in the AL Central and he has been.....well bad. I take your word for it though, I haven't seen him play much.

So the grub are paying a Rob Mackowiak 4.3 million a year. Rob made 2.25 M last year. There is a reason guys get the utility label, in short bursts they look great but when you watch them over a period of time at any given position their warts come out. I think Jason, who sees a lot of Angels games, has made similar comments about Chone Figgins.

At the press conference DeRosa said he hit .208 in September because of a mental problem, he was pressing too hard to hit .300. He's a perfect cub.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Nov 14, 2006 -> 08:21 PM)
At the press conference DeRosa said he hit .208 in September because of a mental problem, he was pressing too hard to hit .300. He's a perfect cub.

I think he hit .208 in September because opposing pitchers remembered that hey, he's Mark DeRosa and he sucks. Just my $0.02 though.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Nov 15, 2006 -> 12:55 AM)
Not really a bad contract in my opinion, He had a really good year last season and can play multiple positions. The Rangers have a really good hitting coach and if he fixed his kink in his swing DeRosa always had some offense potential.

He also wont have Michael Young or the luxury of a huge Texas ballpark.

QUOTE(Jimbo @ Nov 15, 2006 -> 06:57 AM)
He also wont have Michael Young or the luxury of a huge Texas ballpark.

Well I think the Rangers hitting coach had a much larger effect on him than Michael Young and the Cubs have a pretty generous hitting park as well. And if he can remain his mechanics from last season he should be fine.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Nov 15, 2006 -> 02:05 AM)
Well I think the Rangers hitting coach had a much larger effect on him than Michael Young and the Cubs have a pretty generous hitting park as well. And if he can remain his mechanics from last season he should be fine.

I disagree with this big time. Derosa basically mimicked every move of Young's at the plate, Michael had a huge effect on hm.