AZ interseted in a Sox starter

BHAMBARONS

Listening to a show on 890 here in Arizona and the topic turned to pitching and said that AZ and Josh B would look into one of the Sox's starters. What was not said is what the Sox's might want in return. AZ does have a very strong system so which players might the Sox's be interested in?

Hopefully they could take Freddy off our hands if intersted.

Plenty of intriguing players as well.

There is not shot at re-acquiring Chris Young or trading for Justin Upton or Carlos Gonzalez.

But Alberto Callaspo, Dustin Nippert and Micah Owens are all good prospects worth a SP.

Carlos Gonzalez, Upton, Drew, or even Miguel Montero would be interesting. Might be nice to finally have a potential starting catcher in our system. They seem to be loaded with outfielders for the future, so I'm sure they wouldn't mind unloading Gonzalez or Upton for Garcia :-).

SS Alberto Gonzalez would make a lot of sense. He's a 23 yr old SS who hit .290 in AA, from Venezuela, whose glove is his calling card. And the DBacks are stacked at SS

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/G/A...-Gonzalez.shtml

With the Dbacks organizational depth, the sox could fill a few holes. Probably with a SP the sox saw in AA like Micah Owings.

QUOTE(SABR Sox @ Nov 23, 2006 -> 10:23 PM)

There is not shot at re-acquiring Chris Young or trading for Justin Upton or Carlos Gonzalez.

But Alberto Callaspo, Dustin Nippert and Micah Owens are all good prospects worth a SP.

From Josh B's weekly shows he says that only CY, Drew, Carlos Quentin are the only untouchables. Byrnes seems to want Freddy why I am not sure. Deals that keep coming up are Nippert (Owings), Callaspo for Garcia. Seems like Alberto is blocked here with Hudson, Drew and Tracy. The other player is either Nippert or Owings both names mentioned. Owings I believe will be the better pitcher overall. To Arizona Freddy would be a savior because he would instantly become the #2 starter because of how bad the rest of the staff is.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Nov 23, 2006 -> 10:20 PM)
Javier Vazquez

Ooh you could start a war down here by mentioning that name. He lets just say not very popular down here.

QUOTE(BHAMBARONS @ Nov 24, 2006 -> 09:52 AM)
From Josh B's weekly shows he says that only CY, Drew, Carlos Quentin are the only untouchables. Byrnes seems to want Freddy why I am not sure. Deals that keep coming up are Nippert (Owings), Callaspo for Garcia. Seems like Alberto is blocked here with Hudson, Drew and Tracy. The other player is either Nippert or Owings both names mentioned. Owings I believe will be the better pitcher overall. To Arizona Freddy would be a savior because he would instantly become the #2 starter because of how bad the rest of the staff is.

Yea, I'd be nice to acquire one of those guy who aren't untouchables. Thier system is virtually stacked and as you said with the O-Dog blocking Callaspo he could be dealt.

Although I remember hearing Hudson could be dealt too, but regardless I wouldn't mind trading with ARI at all.

Edited by SABR Sox

QUOTE(SABR Sox @ Nov 23, 2006 -> 11:23 PM)

The only guy in that list who does anything for me is Callapso, and in this market we could get more for Freddy. I'm still the Mets best as our trading partners.

QUOTE(BHAMBARONS @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 09:44 AM)
Deal on 890 today was Scott Hairston + Alberto Callaspo/Carlos Gonzalez for Garcia. I hope Josh Byrnes wouldn't consider trading Both Hairston and Gonzalez for Garcia.

Hairston deserves a chance to become an everyday LF but he's Podsednik like in the field.

IIRC he was once a 2nd baseman, although I assume he's too bad to play there.

If we could get say Owings and Gonzalez for Garcia I'd probably jump at that (but if we wait we could possibly still get a better offer from someone).

Don't know if Callaspo is good enough to become an everyday player or not.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 29, 2006 -> 04:00 PM)
Hairston deserves a chance to become an everyday LF but he's Podsednik like in the field.

IIRC he was once a 2nd baseman, although I assume he's too bad to play there.

If we could get say Owings and Gonzalez for Garcia I'd probably jump at that (but if we wait we could possibly still get a better offer from someone).

Don't know if Callaspo is good enough to become an everyday player or not.

I just hope we don't give up Gonzalez this kid already at 20 is raking. I do not think Callaspo will be an everyday player he doesn't have the power and he tends to hit to many fly balls. Everybody around here thinks he will be an everyday player I just don't see it.

QUOTE(BHAMBARONS @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 11:22 AM)
I just hope we don't give up Gonzalez this kid already at 20 is raking. I do not think Callaspo will be an everyday player he doesn't have the power and he tends to hit to many fly balls. Everybody around here thinks he will be an everyday player I just don't see it.

Gonzalez would probably become our best OF prospect. I rate him higher than a Sweeney because I think he'll hit for more power at the major league level, but they'll both be very, very good players.

Owings and Gonzalez for Freddy.

Only way I can see this though is if the Crede and Garcia for Figgins and Santana talks break down.

I wonder if you offered Jon Garland instead though, what the D-Backs would add to that package that I've mooted there.

Would have to beat the potential BA and Garland for Masset, Hurley and Danks deal.

Both of these trade proposals would be absolutely brutal. We get worse in the immediate future with the possible chance of maybe breaking even (if that) cause I don't think either of these guys are superstar prospects nor do they fill any major needs.

We shouldn't just be trading for prospects, now if we get prospects fine, but we better be upgrading our major league roster as well because there are deals out there that make us better now and in the future and this sure isn't one of them.

In fact this is the type of deal that could completely blow up in our face. Not that Gonzalez doesn't seem good, he is, but I'm not giving up a front line pitcher for him (and yes Freddy is that, whether us Sox fans think that I don't care cause the rest of MLB still considers him that especially when you factor in today's market).

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 29, 2006 -> 07:10 PM)
Both of these trade proposals would be absolutely brutal. We get worse in the immediate future with the possible chance of maybe breaking even (if that) cause I don't think either of these guys are superstar prospects nor do they fill any major needs.

We shouldn't just be trading for prospects, now if we get prospects fine, but we better be upgrading our major league roster as well because there are deals out there that make us better now and in the future and this sure isn't one of them.

In fact this is the type of deal that could completely blow up in our face. Not that Gonzalez doesn't seem good, he is, but I'm not giving up a front line pitcher for him (and yes Freddy is that, whether us Sox fans think that I don't care cause the rest of MLB still considers him that especially when you factor in today's market).

Agreed. Freddy is still a horse and will be for a few years.