Sox & Angels Talking; Crede/Garcia for Santana/Figgins

Steve9347

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 04:53 PM)
Oh, dont get me wrong, in the long run over the next several years, Santana is absolute gold. I am saying going into next year, does this improve our club.

No, but this could very well be the facilitator to a few other deals that do improve our club.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do this in an absolute heartbeat, if we can get Ervin Santana that'd just be humungous for this franchise going forward. If something like this happens Figgins is our left fielder, the end, I don't even want talk about him playing 3rd. We make this deal and we still have 6 starters, meaning we can net even more young pitching or even a deal for a 3b. I'd be very, very happy if we can pry Santana away from the Angels.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 03:41 PM)
How so? Joe Crede is one of the best 3B in the game right now, Figgins is barely a starter and is a slight upgrade over PODS. Santana and Garcia could be deemed a wash. If you can turn Santana into Crawford however, then we are winners.

That's a joke, right?

The question now would be: who plays 3B? Figgins? Fields? Cintron? Look to the market? Another deal? Figgins isn't an answer at 3B, not with his string bikini arm. Josh Fields at the third sack isn't a very funny joke, either.

Baseball perspective aside, I really don't like this deal. Crede has become probably my favorite player on the team. I really don't like Chone Figgins at all and Ervin has always been one of baseball's most overhyped players in my opinion.

It just seems that with this market we could "downgrade" a Santana to an ML-ready prospect and not have to give up Crede. I just assumed that in this market any deal we'd make would be an obvious white sox winner. This proposed deal is far, far away from being an obvious sox winner...if anything, it creates another hole.

Interesting deal.

It's almost a wash, but I'd like to get an additional prospect from the Angels included. Someone suggested Erick Aybar, which isn't a bad idea. Don't think the Angels would give up a Nick Adenhart. Who are their other pitching prospects besides Saunders and Adenhart?

And then trading Vazquez to the Mets for a package built around Mike Pelfrey sounds pretty good.

And the million dollar question is does Chone Figgins play at 3B or LF for you? If it's at 3B, does that mean Ryan Sweeney plays at LF, or do you keep Podsednik? Still a lot of questions to be answered here.

That said, I think it's great we can get our hands on Santana, because all he needs is consistency and to pitch better away from home to become a topline starter.

QUOTE(mmmmmbeeer @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 03:59 PM)
Baseball perspective aside, I really don't like this deal. Crede has become probably my favorite player on the team. I really don't like Chone Figgins at all and Ervin has always been one of baseball's most overhyped players in my opinion.

It just seems that with this market we could "downgrade" a Santana to an ML-ready prospect and not have to give up Crede. I just assumed that in this market any deal we'd make would be an obvious white sox winner. This proposed deal is far, far away from being an obvious sox winner...if anything, it creates another hole.

You would assume they would have a plan as far as another 3rd baseman goes. If not, this isn't that great a deal.

I'm just going to throw my ridiculous, pure assumption in this thread. It clicked when this site was having trouble loading due to traffic and I jumped to espn.com and saw that Red Sox are reportadly nearing a Manny deal. Article didn't mention White Sox, in fact I don't think any AL team is rumored, but hey... just throwing it out there (and, no, likely not a possability, I agree)

Losing Crede would hurt this pitching staff and this team more than most people think. If this deal is completed then Fields starts at 3B for us next year, Figgins most likely in CF or LF and leading off.

The real question is can we then flip Vaz or Mark to someone for another prospect, arm or a 3B. And is this deal better than picking up Millege from the Mets without having to give up Crede.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 04:04 PM)
I'm just going to throw my ridiculous, pure assumption in this thread. It clicked when this site was having trouble loading due to traffic and I jumped to espn.com and saw that Red Sox are reportadly nearing a Manny deal. Article didn't mention White Sox, in fact I don't think any AL team is rumored, but hey... just throwing it out there (and, no, likely not a possability, I agree)

I was thinking the exact same thing. White Sox are not mention, but KW always flies under the radar, so who knows. All I know is people wanted something to talk about, and now we have it. But about the proposed deal, having Santana and McCarthy in the same rotation, will be a very good thing in the future as well as the present.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 04:06 PM)
Losing Crede would hurt this pitching staff and this team more than most people think. If this deal is completed then Fields starts at 3B for us next year, Figgins most likely in CF or LF and leading off.

The real question is can we then flip Vaz or Mark to someone for another prospect, arm or a 3B. And is this deal better than picking up Millege from the Mets without having to give up Crede.

I don't want Fields at all starting at 3b but just for this, say he does, then you downgrade big time at 3b defensively but you're upgrading big time defensively in left.

If the Angels add Saunders AND one of Aybar/Wood/Kendrick then you have a deal. Otherwise we are getting taken. That is waaay too little that the Angels are giving up for both Crede and Garcia.

The deal has to be Crede and Garcia for Santana, Figgins, Saunders and Aybar/Wood/Kendrick.

Maybe then the Sox could sign Huff to take over at 3B or trade for Ensberg.

Edited by southsida86

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 04:08 PM)
I don't want Fields at all starting at 3b but just for this, say he does, then you downgrade big time at 3b defensively but you're upgrading big time defensively in left.

But you are still getting rid of a GG caliber player at a crucial defensive position. Lf isnt nearly as important defensively as 3B.

This rumor reeks of someone trying to drive up the demand for Freddy.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 04:09 PM)
But you are still getting rid of a GG caliber player at a crucial defensive position. Lf isnt nearly as important defensively as 3B.

I agree with that, but as much trouble as Fields might have at 3rd, I don't think it'd be as big of a downgrade as Figgins would be an upgrade in left. Anyways I hope that would all be moot as I don't want Fields starting, and we'd still have a huge trading chip to upgrade 3b at that point.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 03:49 PM)
For all the s*** thrown at Levine, he's far more reputable than the guys at the Score.

I'll wait until I hear confirmation from somebody that doesn't work at 670 before I even begin to think this has a remote chance of happening.

I completly agree

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 04:09 PM)

I think KW can definitely get quality for FG, but do you think his contract status might bring him down a little? He's signed to one more year, and with the money getting thrown around, FG is in for a bonanza contract next off-season. Basically you're looking at a one year rental or a major extension with FG, some teams might shy away.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 04:10 PM)
I agree with that, but as much trouble as Fields might have at 3rd, I don't think it'd be as big of a downgrade as Figgins would be an upgrade in left. Anyways I hope that would all be moot as I don't want Fields starting, and we'd still have a huge trading chip to upgrade 3b at that point.

Heres something to put in your brain for a second.

We complete this deal. We sign Rich Aurilia for the next year or two while fields gets ready for the MLB level.

Now are we a better team?

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 28, 2006 -> 09:12 AM)

We complete this deal. We sign Rich Aurilia for the next year or two while fields gets ready for the MLB level.

Aurilla's got about a $3M (figure round that IIRC) deal for 2 or 3 years from the Giants waiting for him doesn't he?

The Giants are waiting until after the arbitration deadline, so the Sox could conceiveably come in with a better offer if they traded Crede.

Because I don't want Josh Fields as our 3B in 2007. He's not ready.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 04:12 PM)

Not a fan of Rich Aurilia and as I said we still have a nice trade chip available if we make this deal as we still have 6 starters. If Kenny wanted he'd be able to pry at least a decent 3b away from somebody I'd think(think Hank Blalock).

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 27, 2006 -> 04:16 PM)
Aurilla's got about a $3M (figure round that IIRC) deal for 2 or 3 years from the Giants waiting for him doesn't he?

The Giants are waiting until after the arbitration deadline, so the Sox could conceiveably come in with a better offer if they traded Crede.

Because I don't want Josh Fields as our 3B in 2007. He's not ready.

Thats the thing. You are talking about someone who isnt going to make a huge contract. Has a good OBP, hits LHP well, and should be a good clubhouse guy. With that said, we would also have 2 backup 3B in Figgins and Pablo in case the injury big hits Rich again.

If this deal went through, there would still be other possibilities, mainly because you'd still have the excess of starting pitching. For example, you could make a pitch to New York about ARod -- as a starting offer, Buehrle + Fields. Or you could make a pitch to Toronto about Vernon Wells.

This deal would not signal the end of the winter for the Sox.