Phil Rogers article

RockRaines

Many of you have mentioned before. The longer KW waits, the more desperate teams will get and the market value will increase tremendously! However, if there were 1 player KW should be aggressive in aqcuirering it should be Crawford. Both Scot Merkin and Bruce Levine says KW is very very interested in him. Take that for what its worth.

Rob Neyers Chat:

BJ (Chicago): Rob, can you help me out with something? If the White Sox main goal this offseason was to trade one of their starting pitchers to make room for Brandon McCarthy in the rotation, why would they get Santana back from the Angels, Figgins is understood because they need a leadoff hitter and a left fielder, but why Santana? They'd be in the same position as before...unless of course Kenny Williams has another trade lined up that is??

SportsNation Rob Neyer: Well, there's nothing wrong with having six starters, and in fact the White Sox have been pretty lucky the last two seasons in needing only five. But I wonder why nobody talks about Charlie Haeger?

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 10:17 AM)
Rob Neyers Chat:

BJ (Chicago): Rob, can you help me out with something? If the White Sox main goal this offseason was to trade one of their starting pitchers to make room for Brandon McCarthy in the rotation, why would they get Santana back from the Angels, Figgins is understood because they need a leadoff hitter and a left fielder, but why Santana? They'd be in the same position as before...unless of course Kenny Williams has another trade lined up that is??

SportsNation Rob Neyer: Well, there's nothing wrong with having six starters, and in fact the White Sox have been pretty lucky the last two seasons in needing only five. But I wonder why nobody talks about Charlie Haeger?

:wub: Chuck will get his shot this year out of the pen, i hope he sticks and some how some way finds a spot in the 08 sox rotation.

QUOTE(beautox @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 09:23 AM)
:wub: Chuck will get his shot this year out of the pen, i hope he sticks and some how some way finds a spot in the 08 sox rotation.

If the Sox pick up another righty reliever, he likely won't get a shot out of the pen unless someone gets hurt. Personally, I hope he does stick as the 6th guy in the bullpen, he at least hinted that he could handle that roll in September, and throwing him out there gives us a long man for those 19 inning games.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 10:02 AM)
According to Neyer, teams like the Royals and Drays would be interested in Haeger simply because of the low cost, and the possibility of longevitiy for their franchise.

Yeah, but I for one think that just because of the type of pitches Haeger throws, he's guaranteed to be undervalued until he proves himself repeatedly in the big leagues. Teams know how to evaluate a guy who throws 170 innings with a 14-6 record and a 3.07 ERA in a hitter's park at AAA if the guy is throwing 97. But if the guy's throwing a knuckler, he automatically drops down about a dozen levels in value in any trade.

I for one think that Haeger is actually an ideal guy to hang onto, because until he proves himself over a couple full seasons in the big leagues, he won't have trade-value to match the numbers he puts up.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 12:43 PM)
Yeah, but I for one think that just because of the type of pitches Haeger throws, he's guaranteed to be undervalued until he proves himself repeatedly in the big leagues. Teams know how to evaluate a guy who throws 170 innings with a 14-6 record and a 3.07 ERA in a hitter's park at AAA if the guy is throwing 97. But if the guy's throwing a knuckler, he automatically drops down about a dozen levels in value in any trade.

I for one think that Haeger is actually an ideal guy to hang onto, because until he proves himself over a couple full seasons in the big leagues, he won't have trade-value to match the numbers he puts up.

Agreed. In fact, I am one person who is skeptical. I have seen how well his knuckler dances, but there is also a reason why there arent more knuckleball guys out there-its an extremely difficult pitch to repeat over and over during the course of a season. I hope the best for Chuck, and I think he could be a serious value to us at a certain point in time.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 12:43 PM)

Agreed. I don't think the sox need another LHP in the pen, not with Thornton and Aardsma, and Haeger as a last opition. I think Haeger in the '07 sox pen is a very good thing, our BP has been the least used in all of MLB for the past two years, and with our collection of power arms all having injury history it would be wise to hold onto him.

If we send Garcia back to seattle i would love to get Mark Lowe from them, hes only 23 and would be under our control for a long time. I don't know what he throws but his results are impressive.

EDIT: Never mind he went under the knife on the 1st.

Surgery performed last month on rookie Mark Lowe, the Seattle Mariners’ minor league pitcher of the year and a midsummer big-league sensation, will keep the right-hander from pitching when the 2007 season begins.

The best-case scenario for the 23-year-old reliever would have him pitching again in late April or early May. The worst case is that Lowe’s right-elbow injury could be career-threatening

link

also this is what he features: Lowe uses a fastball in the 89-93 range to set up a slider and a change

Edited by beautox

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 10:16 AM)
Many of you have mentioned before. The longer KW waits, the more desperate teams will get and the market value will increase tremendously! However, if there were 1 player KW should be aggressive in aqcuirering it should be Crawford. Both Scot Merkin and Bruce Levine says KW is very very interested in him. Take that for what its worth.

Personally, I don't believe acquiring Crawford is feasible unless two quality players are delt. If the purported Crede/Garcia for Santana/Figgens swap were to occur, you may have to trade an additional player to reasaonably sastisfy the requirements of Tampa Bay.

My belief is if Santana/McCarthy are within the same rotation, you do everything to preserve it. Thus, including either in a trade scenario is out of the question. To possibly offset our lack of trading chips, Williams would have to trade an additional bat (perhaps Dye) for a package centering around two top 25 prospects. Dodgers are looking for RH power, no? With possession of aforementioned prospects, Anderson (or Sweeney), and Broadway, you attempt and aquire Crawford.

Similar to any proposal involving a cheap, talented player, it all depends upon several fictional trades unfolding in our favor. This is atleast how I see it. Of course, Williams may decide McCarthy is expendable if Santana is acquired. This would limit the need to unload an additional player such as Dye; even though he'll likely depart following 2007.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

QUOTE(bmags @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 03:41 PM)
well, i'd love to have a guy like haegar just for long relief. If one of our starters screws the pooch, we wouldn't be SOL the next couple of days with an exhausted bullpen.

I'm not opposed to hanging on to haegermeister unless it's a deal that he's packaged in for say Crawford. What I'm not crazy about is the idea of having a knuckleballer come out of the pen.

QUOTE(beautox @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 12:16 AM)
Lets just say the sox did move Garcia + Crede for Santana and Figgins even though KW shot it down, we would still need to move another SP not named McCarthy, Santana or Jose. So who would you move?

Vazquez, esp. as there are trading partners like the Mets and Rangers.

QUOTE(beautox @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 04:16 PM)
Lets just say the sox did move Garcia + Crede for Santana and Figgins even though KW shot it down, we would still need to move another SP not named McCarthy, Santana or Jose. So who would you move?

If he cannot be extended this offseason...Buehrle. We can not let MB walk as a FA and only get draft picks. If he can be extended, Vazquez.