Mariners interested in Freddy

thedoctor

Rafael Soriano and Jeff Clement would be 2 guys I could see us certainly being interested in if we traded Garcia to Seattle.

Maybe if the Sox decided to trade Uribe as well, they could go after either Lopez or Betancourt. Don't know if Lopez is capable enough defensively at SS though, but he's the better offensively out of the 2.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 02:22 PM)
Rafael Soriano and Jeff Clement would be 2 guys I could see us certainly being interested in if we traded Garcia to Seattle.

Maybe if the Sox decided to trade Uribe as well, they could go after either Lopez or Betancourt. Don't know if Lopez is capable enough defensively at SS though, but he's the better offensively out of the 2.

Not worth it. That deal makes us a lot worse. I'd like Soriano a lot more if he wasn't so damn prone to injury. And yes Clement was a top pick, but he's still a long ways away and I wouldn't consider him an upper echelon prospect as of this moment. Plus I am not a big fan of acquiring catching prospects considering there success rate is absolutely horrendous.

You guys got to understand...crappy teams trade their better players for packages full of prospects that will have little effect on this years roster (and future years rosters) and most of the time those crappy teams stay crappy because those deals never pay off (plus they do lose a lot of those guys once they become good due to salary limitations).

Ken Williams job right now is to make the Sox better. To make us a better team you do not get prospects a few years away from helping us. Now if you get prospects that could help us a bit this year as well as every day players that help us now, I can see that move making sense (helps us now and later) but none of these deals do that. Soriano would be nice out of the pen but I'm not trading Garcia for him.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 1, 2006 -> 09:45 AM)
Not worth it. That deal makes us a lot worse. I'd like Soriano a lot more if he wasn't so damn prone to injury. And yes Clement was a top pick, but he's still a long ways away and I wouldn't consider him an upper echelon prospect as of this moment. Plus I am not a big fan of acquiring catching prospects considering there success rate is absolutely horrendous.

You guys got to understand...crappy teams trade their better players for packages full of prospects that will have little effect on this years roster (and future years rosters) and most of the time those crappy teams stay crappy because those deals never pay off (plus they do lose a lot of those guys once they become good due to salary limitations).

Ken Williams job right now is to make the Sox better. To make us a better team you do not get prospects a few years away from helping us. Now if you get prospects that could help us a bit this year as well as every day players that help us now, I can see that move making sense (helps us now and later) but none of these deals do that. Soriano would be nice out of the pen but I'm not trading Garcia for him.

Realistically you're right, because Kenny wants to win now, and we'll only trade for prospects if they're almost ready to contribute and are most likely SP's.

But the Sox need to understand that to continue to stay competitive in this division for the next 5-10 years they are going to have to keep working in young players into the mix to help give them payroll flexibility. We don't want to turn into the Yankees anytime soon, and that's why I get worried if you trade a Brian Anderson right now while his value is so low.

But if I mean if we can get some SP's like Ervin Santana, or SP spects such as Danks or Hurley for Garcia I'll be very happy.

My philosophy is a lot like Flash's in terms of bringing in young players, finding the best talent, and developing them.

Ya and you can do that without trading for a zillion prospects. I don't understand everyone that thinks we need to get a ton of prospects now or we will suck later. We don't have to move guys.

Have you heard the Sox complain about not having the resources to spend 115 million? No, you haven't. We don't have that old of a team, we already have 3 of 6 starters on the right side of 30 and two of ones over 30 are consistent 200 innings a year guys to boot. We have a first baseman, 3rd baseman and SS that should be here a while, we have tons of OF prospects, a young closer and a few relievers under our control for a while.

I don't give two s***s about 5 or 10 years down the road because the best way of taking care of 5 years down the road is by fielding a good team now. With that the Sox will be able to have a high payroll and will be able to consistently retool here or there and stay good for a long time. Just look at the Braves, how often did they actually trade there better players for prospects (not often?). They usually let those guys walk from time to time.

However, they got draft pick compensation for those guys and were able to develop a player here and there while also making trades for new guys that may be able to fill the holes of the guys that left via FA that may not make as much money.

By the way, I should say I'd gladly be the Yankees. They consistently field a team that is capable of winning the world series and thats all I ask. By making some of the trades you guys suggest we destroy our teams chances of winning now and bank on those guys all developing as planned to win later.

The odds are not in our favor to win on that theory and thats why you see very few bad teams figure things out and become good. If it were that easy every team in baseball would have small payrolls and consistently dump guys for prospects while still winning.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 05:21 PM)
Ya and you can do that without trading for a zillion prospects. I don't understand everyone that thinks we need to get a ton of prospects now or we will suck later. We don't have to move guys.

Have you heard the Sox complain about not having the resources to spend 115 million? No, you haven't. We don't have that old of a team, we already have 3 of 6 starters on the right side of 30 and two of ones over 30 are consistent 200 innings a year guys to boot. We have a first baseman, 3rd baseman and SS that should be here a while, we have tons of OF prospects, a young closer and a few relievers under our control for a while.

I don't give two s***s about 5 or 10 years down the road because the best way of taking care of 5 years down the road is by fielding a good team now. With that the Sox will be able to have a high payroll and will be able to consistently retool here or there and stay good for a long time. Just look at the Braves, how often did they actually trade there better players for prospects (not often?). They usually let those guys walk from time to time.

However, they got draft pick compensation for those guys and were able to develop a player here and there while also making trades for new guys that may be able to fill the holes of the guys that left via FA that may not make as much money.

By the way, I should say I'd gladly be the Yankees. They consistently field a team that is capable of winning the world series and thats all I ask. By making some of the trades you guys suggest we destroy our teams chances of winning now and bank on those guys all developing as planned to win later.

The odds are not in our favor to win on that theory and thats why you see very few bad teams figure things out and become good. If it were that easy every team in baseball would have small payrolls and consistently dump guys for prospects while still winning.

Me too. However, we will never have half the payroll they do so we need to be smarter about it and not getting young players when we can is a sure way to decrease our depth and have a horrible year if you lose someone to FA or injury.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE(TheOcho @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 01:32 PM)
Borchard anyone?

Don't laugh. Borchard actually had a better offensive year than Anderson in half the at-bats. Joe's defense is nothing to sneeze at either. I'm not saying it was a bad trade because the Sox got a great reliever out of it. Considering the year BA had, which would you rather have? JB or BA?

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 05:10 PM)
My best friend is a Mariner fan/Cub fan and he still adores Freddy Garcia, re: Garcia's popularity with Mariner fans.

I don't think Seattle has s*** for us unless it's Ichiro, and Ichiro ain't moving.

You know, I dont know if I buy into that. I know that Nintendo-corp owns Seattle and they love Ichiro, but this is Ichiro's walk year, and I know he hasnt been too happy with the past couple of years in Seattle. Seattle is probably going to see if this team has a run in it, and if they dont, they will probably have to unload Ichiro so they at least get something in return for him besides draft picks.

This doesnt mean that I think they are actively trying to trade him, but I dont think that he is unmovable. If the right deal came along, I think Bavasi would make a move

QUOTE(ChiSoxLifer @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 06:49 PM)
Don't laugh. Borchard actually had a better offensive year than Anderson in half the at-bats. Joe's defense is nothing to sneeze at either. I'm not saying it was a bad trade because the Sox got a great reliever out of it. Considering the year BA had, which would you rather have? JB or BA?

Is this actually a question? Do I want AAAA slugger or a GG defensive CF with a solid bat in his rookie year? Tough question... :bang

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 07:00 PM)
You know, I dont know if I buy into that. I know that Nintendo-corp owns Seattle and they love Ichiro, but this is Ichiro's walk year, and I know he hasnt been too happy with the past couple of years in Seattle. Seattle is probably going to see if this team has a run in it, and if they dont, they will probably have to unload Ichiro so they at least get something in return for him besides draft picks.

This doesnt mean that I think they are actively trying to trade him, but I dont think that he is unmovable. If the right deal came along, I think Bavasi would make a move

I've said it before: I think the Mariners would certainly deal Ichiro for the right price. Most people scoff at that, though, because of Japanese revenue, so I don't know.