Chicago's first winter storm loom

southsider2k5

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 12:19 PM)
This is why i hate chicago. In the summer, its the best city in the world, in the winter, its bottom 25.

Im about ready to move somewhere warm

I live somewhere warm, and let me tell you, you need to decide if you are a cold weather or warm weather person before you move. I'm a cold weather person and the weeks of upper-90's lower-100's we get in Austin in the summer SUCK!!! It's 36 degrees today and I'm in heaven, but native Texans are up in arms.

Spring and Fall are awesome here, but summer sucks. Plus, you don't get any seasons here...it's hot, then it's not so hot.

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 12:31 PM)
I live somewhere warm, and let me tell you, you need to decide if you are a cold weather or warm weather person before you move. I'm a cold weather person and the weeks of upper-90's lower-100's we get in Austin in the summer SUCK!!! It's 36 degrees today and I'm in heaven, but native Texans are up in arms.

Spring and Fall are awesome here, but summer sucks. Plus, you don't get any seasons here...it's hot, then it's not so hot.

God I miss Texas :crying

QUOTE(CanOfCorn @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 12:31 PM)

As I have said before, i travel a ton for work, and it just so happens I travel the west coast, southwest and texas most of the time, and I know that I am a warm weather person. I have spent significant time in Phoenix in the middle of summer, and I know for a fact that I can deal with that better than Chicago Nov-March

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 12:46 PM)
It's supposed to snow here tomorrow.

And I agree with Rock, that's the one thing I hate about living in the Midwest. I absolutely hate winter, but I don't know if I see myself living elsewhere.

Good luck down in Bloomington when it snows more than a couple of inches. The entire area shuts down. They have no clue how to handle snow.

It snowed once while I was living in Memphis. 2 inches (happens about once every 5 to 10 years there). The city and county literally didn't own any snow plows. The whole place came to a halt for 1.5 days. The night before the storm, the grocery stores ran out of bread and milk (why bread and milk?). The only thing operating in Memphis that day was FedEx, who do in fact own snow plows - the FedEx super-hub cannot be stopped for any reason. I went out an drove somewhere that day, just for the laughs.

And I agree with Rock - Chicago is the best city in this country from April through September. The other six months, it falls way down the list.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 01:49 PM)
It snowed once while I was living in Memphis. 2 inches (happens about once every 5 to 10 years there). The city and county literally didn't own any snow plows. The whole place came to a halt for 1.5 days. The night before the storm, the grocery stores ran out of bread and milk (why bread and milk?). The only thing operating in Memphis that day was FedEx, who do in fact own snow plows - the FedEx super-hub cannot be stopped for any reason. I went out an drove somewhere that day, just for the laughs.

And I agree with Rock - Chicago is the best city in this country from April through September. The other six months, it falls way down the list.

You should see Dallas or Houston in the same conditions. Texans just don't realize that there are TWO pedals in their trucks, and one of them slows you down.

I'm definitely a cold weather person. I would much rather be too cold then too hot. I think its easier to warm up then cool off.

I'm going to the Bears game on Sunday and Ill sport a sweatshirt and should be ok. Don't forget, it can get pretty hot and humid in the summers in Chicago. Its a lot different then dry heat.

As long as the snow hits while I am not driving, I love it. It's just the combo of driving and snowing that sucks. I drive 40 minutes to and from work everyday, and that easily can move into 1 1/2 hour drive with the right conditions. Plus we always go to Minnesota for the holidays and it always seems to storm only when I am driving. I friggin' hate that. But otherwise, sitting inside the house, watching a healthy snowfall with the tree lit (with the train running underneath it), you really can't beat that.

I went to school in southern ohio. When it snowed, much like Memphis, the whole city, all the roads leading into the city and all surrounding towns shut down. They litterally had no snow plows that could handle 3 inches of snow. The funny thing is that the city of Oxford has heated sidewalks, so we could walk whereever we wanted, but not drive.

It reminded me of around 1998 when we got dumped with 2 feet of snow out here in Chi. All through the night, just dumping feet of snow onto the streets. My town was so adapt at snow removal that by the time school came in the morning, all the major streets had been plowed and salted. it was amazing work.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 08:37 PM)
I went to school in southern ohio. When it snowed, much like Memphis, the whole city, all the roads leading into the city and all surrounding towns shut down. They litterally had no snow plows that could handle 3 inches of snow. The funny thing is that the city of Oxford has heated sidewalks, so we could walk whereever we wanted, but not drive.

It reminded me of around 1998 when we got dumped with 2 feet of snow out here in Chi. All through the night, just dumping feet of snow onto the streets. My town was so adapt at snow removal that by the time school came in the morning, all the major streets had been plowed and salted. it was amazing work.

i'm anxious to see how mizzou handles it, we didn't have a big snowfall last year, but they've also only had 2 snow days here ever.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 02:36 PM)
As long as the snow hits while I am not driving, I love it. It's just the combo of driving and snowing that sucks. I drive 40 minutes to and from work everyday, and that easily can move into 1 1/2 hour drive with the right conditions. Plus we always go to Minnesota for the holidays and it always seems to storm only when I am driving. I friggin' hate that. But otherwise, sitting inside the house, watching a healthy snowfall with the tree lit (with the train running underneath it), you really can't beat that.

Looks like the afternoon rush today will dodge the bullet, but I am setting my alarm early for tomorrow morning.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 02:37 PM)

Does anyone even drive in Oxford? I went to a Wendys there and they didnt have a drive thru...but they had a walk thru.

I hope it snows and snows and snows, doesnt matter to me I love the s***.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Nov 30, 2006 -> 07:56 PM)
You should see Dallas or Houston in the same conditions. Texans just don't realize that there are TWO pedals in their trucks, and one of them slows you down.

:lol:

Indeed.

So... looking out the window, considering it's been 80 for two weeks straight, the snow is actually covering the grass now.

Just went into the break room and most of the flyovers on the freeways are all closed because of accidents due to ice.