White Sox still "enamored with A-Rod"

Steve9347

Take it for what it's worth but a buddy of mine that lives in LA just emailed me and said that one of the sports radio shows mentioned a possible swap between the Sox and Yankees with us getting ARod and Melky while the Evil Empire receives Joe Crede and either Garcia, Garland or McCarthy.

Again, take that with a grain of salt.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(bschmaranz @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 11:17 AM)
Take it for what it's worth but a buddy of mine that lives in LA just emailed me and said that one of the sports radio shows mentioned a possible swap between the Sox and Yankees with us getting ARod and Melky while the Evil Empire receives Joe Crede and either Garcia, Garland or McCarthy.

Now we're talking...but I hope against hope that it's Garcia.

QUOTE(bschmaranz @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 09:17 AM)

There's a huge difference in the value of those 3 pitchers.

They want BMac, they send back Hughes as well.

QUOTE(ChiSox9 @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 11:28 AM)
Just a thought but, I dont think Garcia/Crede would work straight up for A-Rod and Melky. Yanks are also looking for a 1st basemen... I think:

Garcia/Crede/Gload would be able to pry both A-Rod and Melky away.

Gload has no trade value, so not really.

I do not think we match up that well, in this trade, considering A-rod is one of the best in the game, has to waive his no trade, and had a pretty large spat with our manager last season.

This is NYC media fodder, and thats that.

QUOTE(ChiSox9 @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 09:28 AM)
Just a thought but, I dont think Garcia/Crede would work straight up for A-Rod and Melky. Yanks are also looking for a 1st basemen... I think:

Garcia/Crede/Gload would be able to pry both A-Rod and Melky away.

Ross Gload doesn't make enough money for the Yankees to be interested in him.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 11:31 AM)
Gload has no trade value, so not really.

I do not think we match up that well, in this trade, considering A-rod is one of the best in the game, has to waive his no trade, and had a pretty large spat with our manager last season.

This is NYC media fodder, and thats that.

While Gload doesn't have a lot of trade value, I think it is flat-out wrong to state that he doesn't have any trade value. I think a player who has shown he can hit .300 in the past with a 1-year deal making $600k has some value in this market. I think given the PT, Ross Gload could put up David Dellucci numbers, and he is making about 5x what Ross just signed for.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 12:10 PM)
While Gload doesn't have a lot of trade value, I think it is flat-out wrong to state that he doesn't have any trade value. I think a player who has shown he can hit .300 in the past with a 1-year deal making $600k has some value in this market. I think given the PT, Ross Gload could put up David Dellucci numbers, and he is making about 5x what Ross just signed for.

He really doesnt have any. I agree, I think Ross could be Sean Casey with more speed, but at this point, he isnt even on anyone's radar for a bench player.

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 12:10 PM)

Maybe it should say he has NO trade value to the Yankees.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 12:12 PM)
He really doesnt have any. I agree, I think Ross could be Sean Casey with more speed, but at this point, he isnt even on anyone's radar for a bench player.

I'll bet that GM's are looking a little deeper this year in regards to who's available and for what price. Many teams have refused to get sucked into the FA frenzy, and are looking at options they might have overlooked or ignored previously. While Gload certainly isn't going to be a main piece in any deal, I would be surprised if he wouldn't be a valuable piece to supplement an already-discussed deal to perhaps push it over the top.

Additionally, this is from ESPN.com, from Jayson Stark:

12:50 p.m., from Jayson Stark

• There were reports out of Chicago today that the White Sox were again looking into trading for Alex Rodriguez. But according to an official of one team that has inquired about A-Rod's status recently, those reports are just "the same old bull. A-Rod isn't going anwhere."

Some more rumor fodder, from Rotoworld, and it doesn't appear that anyone has a damned clue what KW has in mind:

Mark Buehrle, Freddy Garcia, Jon Garland, Javier Vazquez - The White Sox still appear likely to move a starting pitcher, opening up a rotation spot for Brandon McCarthy. There were reports a couple of weeks ago about Garland being on his way to Texas, but besides Jose Contreras, he should be considered the least likely candidate to go. The other common rumors have been Garcia to the Angels and Vazquez to the Mets. Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Buehrle-to-St. Louis possibility pop up at some point.

Possibility: Vazquez to Mets for Aaron Heilman and RHP Philip Humber

Prediction: Stays

Possibility: Buehrle to St. Louis for Chris Duncan and RHP Blake Hawksworth

Possibility: Garcia, Brian Anderson and RHP Lance Broadway to Toronto for Vernon WellsPossibility: Garcia and Jerry Owens to Seattle for C Jeff Clement and George Sherrill

Prediction: Goes

Vernon Wells - If Alfonso Soriano is worth $138 million, Wells should receive a deal in excess of $150 million when he becomes a free agent next winter. He'll be two years younger than Soriano when he hit the market, and he has much more value on defense. Since the Blue Jays aren't likely to pay the price, Wells could be moved this winter. Texas is the top destination on everyone's mind, but because there's a good chance the Rangers can sign him as a free agent, it wouldn't make much sense to give up a king's ransom now. The White Sox should also be very interested, and the Angels might not rule him out even after overpaying for Gary Matthews Jr.

Possibility: To Texas for Brad Wilkerson, LHP John Danks and RHP Wes Littleton

Possibility: To Angels for Erick Aybar, Jeff Mathis and RHP Stephen Marek

Prediction: Stays (until July)

Carl Crawford, Rocco Baldelli - Crawford has been mentioned in connection with teams like the Angels and White Sox since the summer, but Baldelli looks like the better bet of the two to go now. The Rays wouldn't mind opening up an outfield spot for B.J. Upton, and either Crawford or Baldelli could bring the team the young pitching it needs. Some of the teams that could have checked into Baldelli's availability include the Marlins, Rangers, White Sox, Orioles, A's, Rockies, Brewers, Cubs and Red Sox.

Possibility: Crawford to White Sox for Brandon McCarthy, Ryan Sweeney and David Aardsma

Possibility: Baldelli to Florida for Scott Olsen and RHP Jose Garcia

Possibility: Baldelli to Oakland for Joe Blanton and RHP Jason Windsor

Possibility: Baldelli to Milwaukee for Jose Capellan, Carlos Villanueva and Greg Aquino

Miguel Tejada - Since the Orioles are collecting veterans with the idea of being competitive in 2007, a trade seemed a lot more likely a year ago than it does now. Tejada only figures to move on if there's another star coming back in return. That said, if the Orioles could get the Angels to give up Casey Kotchman along with Ervin Santana and Erick Aybar, they really should go for it.

Possibility: To White Sox for Jon Garland, Josh Fields and Brian Anderson

Possibility: Figgins and Dallas McPherson to White Sox for Joe Crede

QUOTE(bmags @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 11:02 AM)
figgens and mcpherson

are they just throwin s*** out there now?

Technically thats not that awful of a trade. I'd like to get them to give us an additional arm but I really am a big McPherson fan. So if we really think Joe's gone its not that bad of a deal. I also like Dallas a lot more than I like Fields.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 01:14 PM)
Technically thats not that awful of a trade. I'd like to get them to give us an additional arm but I really am a big McPherson fan. So if we really think Joe's gone its not that bad of a deal. I also like Dallas a lot more than I like Fields.

I think it is a mistake if one of your concerns with Joe is injuries, and yet you trade for Dallas McPherson....

QUOTE(iamshack @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 11:30 AM)
Some more rumor fodder, from Rotoworld, and it doesn't appear that anyone has a damned clue what KW has in mind:

Mark Buehrle, Freddy Garcia, Jon Garland, Javier Vazquez - The White Sox still appear likely to move a starting pitcher, opening up a rotation spot for Brandon McCarthy. There were reports a couple of weeks ago about Garland being on his way to Texas, but besides Jose Contreras, he should be considered the least likely candidate to go. The other common rumors have been Garcia to the Angels and Vazquez to the Mets. Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Buehrle-to-St. Louis possibility pop up at some point.

Possibility: Vazquez to Mets for Aaron Heilman and RHP Philip Humber

Possibility: Buehrle to St. Louis for Chris Duncan and RHP Blake Hawksworth

Possibility: Garcia, Brian Anderson and RHP Lance Broadway to Toronto for Vernon WellsPossibility: Garcia and Jerry Owens to Seattle for C Jeff Clement and George Sherrill

Vernon Wells - If Alfonso Soriano is worth $138 million, Wells should receive a deal in excess of $150 million when he becomes a free agent next winter. He'll be two years younger than Soriano when he hit the market, and he has much more value on defense. Since the Blue Jays aren't likely to pay the price, Wells could be moved this winter. Texas is the top destination on everyone's mind, but because there's a good chance the Rangers can sign him as a free agent, it wouldn't make much sense to give up a king's ransom now. The White Sox should also be very interested, and the Angels might not rule him out even after overpaying for Gary Matthews Jr.

Possibility: To Texas for Brad Wilkerson, LHP John Danks and RHP Wes Littleton

Possibility: To Angels for Erick Aybar, Jeff Mathis and RHP Stephen Marek

Prediction: Stays (until July)

Carl Crawford, Rocco Baldelli - Crawford has been mentioned in connection with teams like the Angels and White Sox since the summer, but Baldelli looks like the better bet of the two to go now. The Rays wouldn't mind opening up an outfield spot for B.J. Upton, and either Crawford or Baldelli could bring the team the young pitching it needs. Some of the teams that could have checked into Baldelli's availability include the Marlins, Rangers, White Sox, Orioles, A's, Rockies, Brewers, Cubs and Red Sox.

Possibility: Crawford to White Sox for Brandon McCarthy, Ryan Sweeney and David Aardsma

Possibility: Baldelli to Florida for Scott Olsen and RHP Jose Garcia

Possibility: Baldelli to Oakland for Joe Blanton and RHP Jason Windsor

Possibility: Baldelli to Milwaukee for Jose Capellan, Carlos Villanueva and Greg Aquino

Miguel Tejada - Since the Orioles are collecting veterans with the idea of being competitive in 2007, a trade seemed a lot more likely a year ago than it does now. Tejada only figures to move on if there's another star coming back in return. That said, if the Orioles could get the Angels to give up Casey Kotchman along with Ervin Santana and Erick Aybar, they really should go for it.

Possibility: To White Sox for Jon Garland, Josh Fields and Brian Anderson

Possibility: Figgins and Dallas McPherson to White Sox for Joe Crede

I'm confused by Rotoworld's writing style. I'd like them to adopt the Larry King "..." style.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 07:14 PM)

i just don't understand that trade, at all really.

Saw this little snippet;

As for Rodriguez to the White Sox, a friend of Rodriguez's who was in contact with him said the third baseman would veto a trade.

"I still get teams checking in [about trading Rodriguez]," said Cashman, who wouldn't say if he had been approached by anybody since arriving Sunday night. "I still get some stragglers."

I'd go for the trade of A-Rod. If he can hit 47 HRs playing half of them in Yankee Stadium, he'd average 50-60 HRs at Comiskey and would easily pass Hank Aaron within the length of his contract. Sox would sell a ton of jerseys and be in the media bulls-eye as long as A-Rod would be here. Win-win situation for both sides.

Thing is, A-Rod wants to stick it up the NYC media's ass and prove he's a great player (Not that he isn't already but the NYC media tends to think it's God when it comes to sports and the fans believe everything they say) so he's not coming here till he proves them wrong.

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Dec 4, 2006 -> 12:55 PM)
This is the most awful trade I've heard all off-season.

This one is worse: Possibility: Buehrle to St. Louis for Chris Duncan and RHP Blake Hawksworth

As much as I'd love the Sox to get a prospect that plays catcher, Clement won't be able to help the Sox in 2007 and I don't want to see Alomar back there again. Clement's numbers were terrible last year -- was he hurt?

QUOTE(hitlesswonder @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 07:33 AM)
This one is worse: Possibility: Buehrle to St. Louis for Chris Duncan and RHP Blake Hawksworth

As much as I'd love the Sox to get a prospect that plays catcher, Clement won't be able to help the Sox in 2007 and I don't want to see Alomar back there again. Clement's numbers were terrible last year -- was he hurt?

Wow, you've found a way to fill that gaping hole the White Sox have at 1st base! Sweet!

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 5, 2006 -> 09:40 AM)
It was just reported on ESPN 1000 that the White Sox and Yankees brass met early this morning in the white sox sweet apparently to discuss A-rod

How do they know this? i don't buy it. But it gets me all excited. Gross.