Sox sign Po-Yu Lin

maggsmaggs

With the success of Chien-Ming Wang, it seems as if more MLB teams are interested in getting a foothold in the Taiwanese market. The White Sox signed 20 year old pitching prospect Po-Yu Lin with a sign-on bonus of ~ $300,000. The righty stands 6 feet tall and weighs 216 pounds. Lin was a member of the 2004 junior NT that included fellow minor leaguers Chih-Hsien Chiang and Wang-Wei Lin. At the time, Lin was considered the ace of the staff. Lin's stats for the 2004 Junior World Championships can be found here. Lin gained additional exposure when he played this past summer for the Anchorage Bucs in the ABL. Lin appeared in 6 games for the Bucs and had a 3.03 ERA. Lin played alongside fellow Taiwanese prospect and current NT member - Cheng-Lung Lo.

In high school, Lin was clocked around 90 mph.

http://taiwanbaseball.blogspot.com/ (under Monday, November 27th)

I got this from WSI, but thought I would post it here rather than the futuresox board considering we really don't do lots of international signings like this. I like international signings, we really need to do this more, preferably with some Hispanic players, too.

Here's his pic:

After Williams' recent comment on stregthening the system, atleast he's immediately shown interest in signing Japanese talent. I can't complain.

Honestly, how often has this happened -- us bringing in a Japanese prospect? That Yofu character was probably the last one.

Edited by Flash Tizzle

Good work, Sox front office. The free agent market may be inflated, but damn, there's lots of great values (if you work hard enough) in these international leagues. Would love to see a LOT more of this, but it's a nice start.

//applause

Edited by CWSGuy406

So far KW is 2-2 (if you count Takatsu's 2004 season) in going to Asia and signing players. Can't hurt us!!!

The Winter Meetings start today, I wonder how many calls he already got in regards to one of our starters? If Ted Lily is asking for 10 mill/ season i am expecting an aweful lot for one of our proven starters!

Edited by GreatScott82

Wonder where he'll start in the minors next season for us, certainly will be an interesting prospect to watch.

Flash I'm suprised, you've not asked for the Latin America Scouts to be replaced by the ones operating in the Asian Region yet. :D